Hamburg Passenger lists

  • John Venham
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 9, 2001
      Hello all:

      I am in Prague, and considering a trip to Hamburg to
      research the departure lists for immigrants.

      I'd be focused on the years 1884 and 1885.

      I understand the LDS in Utah has microfilmed these
      records. So I'm seeking advice from anyone who may
      have used these records in research.

      Here are some of my concerns:

      What type of writing was used in Germany at that
      time?Kurent?
      I've read that the records are alphabetized...is that
      by year, by month, by ship, then year???
      And what are the potential pitfalls I could
      encounter...beyond difficult handwriting?

      I will be looking for one specific name: Kasik
      and I have a very good idea when he left Europe
      (although not necessarily sure he left through Hamburg
      -- it's the most likely port).

      If alphabetized, is there a chance that Kasik would
      not be with the K's; or that Frank Kasik will not be
      with the F. Kasik's?? Would the children be listed
      clustered with the father, or alphabetized, too?

      Also, is there a chance that someone else bought the
      ticket, and Mr. Kasik et al. are not listed at all?

      Mr. Kasik and his family took English first names in
      the US. The German and Czech equivalents are
      different as well. Is there a chance that a German
      recorder would turn Frantisek into Franz, or Jindra
      into Heinrich?

      Finally, what actual information could I hope to find
      on this person in these lists?

      Okay, thanks a lot...

      John V.

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, John Venham <jevenham@y...> wrote:
        > Hello all:
        >
        > I am in Prague, and considering a trip to Hamburg to
        > research the departure lists for immigrants.
        >
        > I'd be focused on the years 1884 and 1885.
        >
        > I understand the LDS in Utah has microfilmed these
        > records. So I'm seeking advice from anyone who may
        > have used these records in research.
        >
        > Here are some of my concerns:
        >
        > What type of writing was used in Germany at that
        > time?Kurent?
        > I've read that the records are alphabetized...is that
        > by year, by month, by ship, then year???
        > And what are the potential pitfalls I could
        > encounter...beyond difficult handwriting?
        >
        > I will be looking for one specific name: Kasik
        > and I have a very good idea when he left Europe
        > (although not necessarily sure he left through Hamburg
        > -- it's the most likely port).
        >
        > If alphabetized, is there a chance that Kasik would
        > not be with the K's; or that Frank Kasik will not be
        > with the F. Kasik's?? Would the children be listed
        > clustered with the father, or alphabetized, too?
        >
        > Also, is there a chance that someone else bought the
        > ticket, and Mr. Kasik et al. are not listed at all?
        >
        > Mr. Kasik and his family took English first names in
        > the US. The German and Czech equivalents are
        > different as well. Is there a chance that a German
        > recorder would turn Frantisek into Franz, or Jindra
        > into Heinrich?
        >
        > Finally, what actual information could I hope to find
        > on this person in these lists?
        >
        > Okay, thanks a lot...
        >
        > John V.

        ahoj !

        Believe that Hamburg, Germany has set up its own database of
        the Hamburg Lists and its style may be different from that of the LDS
        microfilms ?

        http://www.genealogienetz.de/gene/misc/emig/
        http://www.familysearch.org/sg/Hamburg_Pass_List.html
        http://pgsa.org/hamburg.htm

        Hope that your pages were not written in 'Kurrent'; sometimes
        even native Germans need a course inorder to read this handwriting.
        Don't know which can be harder to decipher, Kurrent or poorly written
        Russian Cyrillic cursive script ?

        Depending upon if Herr or Pan Kas^ik came from a German or Czech or a
        'Mixed' named town in Czech-Bohemia, the Hamburg listing should follow
        the particular language used ?

        Assume the surname Kas^ik was spelled using the Czech hac^ek , or was
        it a plain Kasik, or maybe Kasika ?

        For American based records you would use Soundex Code K-220
        for the surname Kasik, so here spelling actually used doesn't matter.

        Mnoho s^te^stí
        Viel Glück

        Frank Kurcina