Military Record Search Success!

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 15 , May 3, 2011
      Just wanted to let other members know that following Carl Kotlarchik's "A Guide for Locating Military Records for the Various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire" on Bill Tarkulich's "Slovakia Genealogy Research Strategies" can indeed lead to success in locating their ancestor's military service records. Following Carl's information to locate the regiment number and then searching the FHC microfilm catalog, I was able to order the appropriate film and then find my great grandfather's military record. I encourage any of you who might be considering a trek down this road to give it a try. I never would have tried to search for this information without inspiration from Carl's article. A big thanks to Carl for supplying the group with the information to get us on the road to this information.

      Judy
    • Carl
      Message 2 of 15 , May 5, 2011
        Congratulations Judy! And thank you for your kind words. I hope your success will encourage others to take a look for their families records.

        For the last year, I have been writing up the military exploits of three of my direct ancestors. After I found their military records, I was able to use the regimental histories for their units to track their regiments movements and actions during the periods in which they served. Many regimental histories are now on Google books and they are quite detailed. Using them and other books on the wars of those periods, I was able to follow my great-great great grandfather's regiment for 2 years in the campaign in Italy during the 2nd Coalition War against Napoleon in 1799 and 1800. Similarly, I was able to track my great-grandfather's regiment in the Seven Weeks War with Prussia in 1866. The European wars are extremely well documented and it is really interesting to learn how your ancestor participated in events that shaped the whole continent.

        For those of you who are writing up your family histories, this kind of information can help make the story even more interesting and provide a sense of what your ancestors experienced.

        Like Judy, several others have contacted me with their successful searches. But full disclosure here, I have had one researcher look and look without success. She has tried so very hard but her ancestor served during the period when Austria totally revamped their armies making it very difficult to know exactly what unit he served in. But she hasn't given up yet! Hopefully, she will find him soon.

        Carl

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

        > Just wanted to let other members know that following Carl Kotlarchik's "A Guide for Locating Military Records for the Various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire" on Bill Tarkulich's "Slovakia Genealogy Research Strategies" can indeed lead to success in locating their ancestor's military service records. Following Carl's information to locate the regiment number and then searching the FHC microfilm catalog, I was able to order the appropriate film and then find my great grandfather's military record. I encourage any of you who might be considering a trek down this road to give it a try. I never would have tried to search for this information without inspiration from Carl's article. A big thanks to Carl for supplying the group with the information to get us on the road to this information.
        >
        > Judy

      • John Magyari
        Message 3 of 15 , May 6, 2011
          Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?

          If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for William?

          thanks,
          john

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 15 , May 6, 2011
            Slovak for William is Viliam.

            Message 5 of 15 , May 6, 2011
              VASILIY m Russian
              Russian form of BASIL (1)

              Message 6 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

                On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                > Slovak for William is Viliam.

                Bill
                Message 7 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                  That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
                  I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
                  Charles.

                  On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
                  > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                  > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
                  >
                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
                  >

                  > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                  >> Slovak for William is Viliam.

                • John Magyari
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                    Thanks,

                    The name I am trying to connect to is a William Charles Schupra and I
                    found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match
                    based on several pieces of info, the first name helps.

                    john

                    On 5/6/2011 11:38 AM, Bill Tarkulich wrote:

                    > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                    > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
                    >
                    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
                    >
                    > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                    > > Slovak for William is Viliam.

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                      John,
                      Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it is a “for sure”.

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                        Now you've really got my head spinning. Time to punch out! Happy Friday
                        everyone!
                        Bill

                        n Fri, May 6, 2011 4:09 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                        > John,
                        > Since “location” is #1 in genealogy, if your Vaszyli Cshupra is
                        > from Williams know home village then you more than likely have the
                        > write person. If you have two or more matching pieces I would say it
                        > is a “for sure”.

                        Bill
                      • Elaine Summerhill
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                          I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still
                          pronounced it with a "V".

                          Elaine Summerhill

                          ________________________________

                          That said, I have an uncle named Vasyl, but changed his name to William.
                          I also have cousins and many more acquaintances who changed their name to
                          Charles.

                          On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:38 pm, Bill Tarkulich wrote:
                          > Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                          > reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.
                          >
                          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)
                          >

                          > On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                          >> Slovak for William is Viliam.
                          >>

                          >> Could given name Vaszyli be WIlliam in English?
                          >>
                          >> If not what might be some Hungarian, Slovak and Ukrainian names for
                          >> William?
                          >>
                          >> thanks,
                          >> john

                        • Elaine Summerhill
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                            Forgot to add..... All of us called him "Charlie".

                            Elaine Summerhill

                            ________________________________

                            I had an uncle named Vasyl, which became Basil in the USA. My grandmother still

                            pronounced it with a "V".

                            Elaine Summerhill

                          • John
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 6, 2011
                              >>> I found a shipping record for a Vaszyli Cshupra which I think is a match <<<

                              If this is a relevant Ellis Island listing:
                              Csupra, Vaszyli Kriosfalva, Hungary 18 1891 1909

                              The old village name is Kricsfalva, Maramaros Megye, Hungary. Today, it would be found in Técsõi district, Ukraine approx 48 10 23 33 and southeast of Slovakia.
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 7, 2011
                                As I reflect on my family here is what I found for Vasyl:

                                1. All of the immigrants renamed themselves "Charles"
                                They wanted to assimilate and avoid rampant discrimination.

                                2. All of the children of immigrants renamed themselves "William"
                                Hmm. Most of the children wanted to be "100% American", they often
                                disconnected from the ethnicity.

                                Bill

                                Many folks around the turn of the century used Charles for Vasyl, for
                                reason unknown to me. It has no direct translation to English.

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basil_(name)

                                On Fri, May 6, 2011 2:20 pm, Michael Mojher wrote:
                                > Slovak for William is Viliam.

                                Bill

                              • Michael Mojher
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 7, 2011
                                  John,
                                  The Ship’s Manifest gives you some clues if this is the correct person:
                                  1. His father’s name is Stefan
                                  2. He was joining his cousin (looks like) Mikus Csupra
                                  3. Mikus lived in Slatedale, PA

                                  The fact that Kricsfalva is in the Maramures region in the Ukraine does not make your search easy. The Ukraine is not the easiest country to do a “remote” genealogy search. It usually requires hiring someone.