Re: [S-R] Advice when you travel to Slovakia...

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2011
      If you are lucky enough to find the family lot -- bringing some soil back to
      sprinkle on the graves of your ancestors is a nice feeling.

      Caye

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2011
        Nice feelings aside, check with the Department of Agriculture before you try something like importing dirt into the USA. Their job is to keep you from importing the next agricultural disaster into America.

        At the same time, clean your shoes well before you return. They are that serious.

        Ron

        Message 3 of 12 , May 3, 2011
          Hi Ron,

          I thought I implied that in my message.

          I have the certificate and am duly registered. In fact, I was looking at
          it last night as I was organizing my genealogy materials.

          The material was processed by the quarantine section at JFK airport.
          Essentially, they baked it.

          Bill

          On Mon, May 2, 2011 11:23 pm, Ron wrote:
          > Nice feelings aside, check with the Department of Agriculture before you
          > try something like importing dirt into the USA. Their job is to keep you
          > from importing the next agricultural disaster into America.
          >
          > At the same time, clean your shoes well before you return. They are that
          > serious.
          >
          > Ron
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
          >>
          >> If you are lucky enough to find the family lot -- bringing some soil
          >> back to
          >> sprinkle on the graves of your ancestors is a nice feeling.
          >>

          >> Caye

          Bill
        • travel2001@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2011
            I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in 39 and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national registry to look for ?
            George
            travel2001@...

            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2011
              No.

              On Tue, May 3, 2011 10:30 am, travel2001@... wrote:

              > I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in
              > 39 and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national
              > registry to look for ?
              > George
              > travel2001@...

              Bill
            • Ron
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                You were quite clear, Bill. However I don't think Caye got the message or included any cautions in her statement, and it is easy enough to smuggle in a problem quite innocently. This additional exchange is good to drive the idea home.

                Ron

                > Hi Ron,
                >
                > I thought I implied that in my message.
                >
                > I have the certificate and am duly registered. In fact, I was looking at
                > it last night as I was organizing my genealogy materials.
                >
                > The material was processed by the quarantine section at JFK airport.
                > Essentially, they baked it.
                >
                > Bill
                >
                > On Mon, May 2, 2011 11:23 pm, Ron wrote:
                > > Nice feelings aside, check with the Department of Agriculture before you
                > > try something like importing dirt into the USA. Their job is to keep you
                > > from importing the next agricultural disaster into America.
                > >
                > > At the same time, clean your shoes well before you return. They are that
                > > serious.
                > >
                > > Ron
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@> wrote:
                > >>
                > >> If you are lucky enough to find the family lot -- bringing some soil
                > >> back to
                > >> sprinkle on the graves of your ancestors is a nice feeling.
                > >>

                > >> Caye

                > --
                > Bill

              • Peter Nagy
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                  George,

                  Try your luck using online cemetery databases:
                  http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/cemeteries.html

                  Peter

                  2011/5/3 <travel2001@...>

                  > I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in 39
                  > and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national registry
                  > to look for ?
                  > George
                  > travel2001@...

                  Cilistovska 20A
                  931 01 Samorin
                  Slovak Republic
                  tel: +421 31 560 0641
                  mobile: +421 905 490 552
                  www.centroconsult.sk
                  www.cpr.uibk.org

                • travel2001@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                    thanx

                    > I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in
                    > 39 and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national
                    > registry to look for ?
                    > George
                    > travel2001@...

                    Bill

[...]