Re: Was it Rijeka/Fiume-Trieste-Dubrovnik-or a German port ?

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 8, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, Fred Corbett <fhcorbett@e...> wrote:
      > My deceaased father in law and mother in law, August Kral and Pavla
      Smida
      > of Malacky, Pozsony, Slovakia migrated to the USA in 1921. Their
      route
      > was Malacky to Prague for their visas, then train to Rotterdam and
      then
      > the SS Rotterdam to Boston, Mass., USA. The destination of Boston
      was a
      > last minute change. Apparently there was a "flu" epidemic in New
      York.
      > I have a part of the passenger manifest for that voyage. It
      identifies
      > passengers as , - Slovenian, Slovakia, Hungarian, Bohemian.
      >
      > Frank Kurchina wrote:
      >
      > Wrote that Slovaks would not have traveled to Dubrovnik, Croatia
      > to emigrate to North America because this port was located 450
      > miles distant from Slovakia and entailed a long sea voyage.

      The new country of Czechoslovakia was created in 1920.
      In 1920 the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy no longer existed.
      And Hungary had lost two-thirds of its former territory to other
      nations, like Czechoslovakia and Yugoslavia.

      Pozsony was the Hungarian name for Bratislava, Slovakia.
      Malacky is located 20 miles from Bratislava.
      It is 200 miles from Malacky to Praha (Prag)
      Rotterdam is located 450 miles from Praha as the sokol flies.

      [This era's influenza epidemic had killed 25 million people worldwide.
      In one year, 1 million people died just in the U.S.
      In comparison, during 4 years of fighting in WW I , 9 million men had
      been killed on all sides]

      ROTTERDAM (3)

      This "Rotterdam" was the fourth of five vessels with this name owned
      by the Holland America Line. She was built in 1908 by Harland &
      Wolff, Belfast and was a 24,149 gross ton ship, length 650.5ft x beam
      77.4ft, two funnels, two masts, twin screw and a speed of 16 knots.
      There was passenger accommodation for 530-1st, 555-2nd and 2,124-3rd
      class. Launched on 3/3/1908, she sailed from Rotterdam on her maiden
      voyage to New York on 13/6/1908.
      She commenced her last voyage on this service on 23/2/1916 and was
      then laid up at Rotterdam (although Holland was a neutral country
      during the Great War, several Dutch ships had been damaged by mines).
      She resumed service between Rotterdam, Brest and New York on 24/1/1919
      and in 1920 was converted to oil fuel.
      In April 1926 her accommodation was altered to carry 1st, 2nd,
      tourist, and 3rd class passengers; in Jan 1930, 1st, tourist and 3rd
      class; in June 1936, cabin, tourist and 3rd; and in May 1937, cabin
      and tourist class.
      On 21/11/1939 she sailed from Rotterdam on her final voyage to New
      York (dep 7/12/1939) and Rotterdam (arr 28/12/1939) and in Jan 1940
      was scrapped at Hendrik Ido, Ambacht.
      [North Atlantic Seaway by N.R.P.Bonsor, vol.3,p.913] [Posted to The
      ShipsList by Ted Finch - 9 January 1998]