Advice when you travel to Slovakia...

    Message 1 of 12 , May 2, 2011
      It's not if you will travel, it's when. I wrote some general advice over at
      Iarelative's Delphi Forum that is worth sharing here.

      Other travelers, feel free to pitch in and add your perspective.

      For those wishing, thinking or planning, ask your questions here.

      .

      The lesson learned here is to be prepared. I studied my brains out before I
      went. It turns out I sometimes knew more than the villagers. As you have
      discovered, letting people know you are coming opens many doors. A local is
      best, someone from the region is second best. They'll know how to find the
      "key to the church", the lost cemetery and many other things you will never
      see or hear about.

      Bringing a translator is essential if you do not or cannot learn the
      language, as Vladimir indicated.

      I found having a prioritized to-do list helps you organize your activities.
      Leave plenty of slack time for the schedule and agenda to change. Don't
      behave like the pushy American, and don't be in a hurry. Listen more than
      you talk.

      Depending on the village, you'll be treated as a celebrity, in their own,
      understated way. One person will beget another person, will beget another. I
      met an amazing number of people this way.

      Bring a tape recorder, walk outside in the stillness of night the stars, the
      moon. Walk down the road. Drink too much Slivovica, or, in my case, Vodka.
      It's your "welcome home". Use your imagination. Stay up late listening to
      stories about the village and the people past and present.

      You will be thrilled and you will be disappointed. But you will never say,
      "I wish I did this or that". You'll never get through your list, but that's
      OK, you'll always have your next trip. But above all, you will walk in the
      steps of your ancestors. You will be happy and sad about what they left
      behind; the love of their family, the poverty and the beauty of the hills.

      Being a sentimental old fool, I brought back a feather from the chicken,
      leaves from the trees and soil from the garden. All with the approval of the
      USDA. Ah, rules...

      My US$0.02.

      .

      Above all, have fun and enjoy the trip of a lifetime!

      Bill

    • Bob Pollak
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2011
        To find cemeteries, usually use Google to locate the village and the cemeteries are usually easy to find. They kind of stand out against the regular terrain.

        Bob Pollak

        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2011
          I meant to say Google Earth.

          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2011
            If you are lucky enough to find the family lot -- bringing some soil back to
            sprinkle on the graves of your ancestors is a nice feeling.

            Caye

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 12 , May 2, 2011
              Nice feelings aside, check with the Department of Agriculture before you try something like importing dirt into the USA. Their job is to keep you from importing the next agricultural disaster into America.

              At the same time, clean your shoes well before you return. They are that serious.

              Ron

              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                Hi Ron,

                I thought I implied that in my message.

                I have the certificate and am duly registered. In fact, I was looking at
                it last night as I was organizing my genealogy materials.

                The material was processed by the quarantine section at JFK airport.
                Essentially, they baked it.

                Bill

                On Mon, May 2, 2011 11:23 pm, Ron wrote:
                > Nice feelings aside, check with the Department of Agriculture before you
                > try something like importing dirt into the USA. Their job is to keep you
                > from importing the next agricultural disaster into America.
                >
                > At the same time, clean your shoes well before you return. They are that
                > serious.
                >
                > Ron
                >
                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:
                >>
                >> If you are lucky enough to find the family lot -- bringing some soil
                >> back to
                >> sprinkle on the graves of your ancestors is a nice feeling.
                >>

                >> Caye

                Bill
              • travel2001@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                  I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in 39 and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national registry to look for ?
                  George
                  travel2001@...

                  Message 8 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                    No.

                    On Tue, May 3, 2011 10:30 am, travel2001@... wrote:

                    > I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in
                    > 39 and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national
                    > registry to look for ?
                    > George
                    > travel2001@...

                    Bill
                  • Ron
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                      You were quite clear, Bill. However I don't think Caye got the message or included any cautions in her statement, and it is easy enough to smuggle in a problem quite innocently. This additional exchange is good to drive the idea home.

                      Ron

                      > Hi Ron,
                      >
                      > I thought I implied that in my message.
                      >
                      > I have the certificate and am duly registered. In fact, I was looking at
                      > it last night as I was organizing my genealogy materials.
                      >
                      > The material was processed by the quarantine section at JFK airport.
                      > Essentially, they baked it.
                      >
                      > Bill
                      >
                      > On Mon, May 2, 2011 11:23 pm, Ron wrote:
                      > > Nice feelings aside, check with the Department of Agriculture before you
                      > > try something like importing dirt into the USA. Their job is to keep you
                      > > from importing the next agricultural disaster into America.
                      > >
                      > > At the same time, clean your shoes well before you return. They are that
                      > > serious.
                      > >
                      > > Ron
                      > >
                      > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@> wrote:
                      > >>
                      > >> If you are lucky enough to find the family lot -- bringing some soil
                      > >> back to
                      > >> sprinkle on the graves of your ancestors is a nice feeling.
                      > >>

                      > >> Caye

                      > --
                      > Bill

                    • Peter Nagy
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                        George,

                        Try your luck using online cemetery databases:
                        http://www.centroconsult.sk/toolbox/cemeteries.html

                        Peter

                        2011/5/3 <travel2001@...>

                        > I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in 39
                        > and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national registry
                        > to look for ?
                        > George
                        > travel2001@...

                        Cilistovska 20A
                        931 01 Samorin
                        Slovak Republic
                        tel: +421 31 560 0641
                        mobile: +421 905 490 552
                        www.centroconsult.sk
                        www.cpr.uibk.org

                      • travel2001@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 3, 2011
                          thanx

                          > I'm trying to find my Grandfathers grave. He went back tro Slovakia in
                          > 39 and got tyrapped there. He passed in the 60's. Is there a national
                          > registry to look for ?
                          > George
                          > travel2001@...

                          Bill

[...]