Newbie post re: Popovic(s), Juhas(z), Skrak and SIma families of Circ (Csircs)

  • susanpovich
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1, 2011
      Hi Everyone,

      I feel as though I am an infant in the genealogical world, but I am determined to catch up to everyone! My grandmother never spoke about her life in Slovakia, and I had never heard the term "Rusyn" until this summer. What began as a hobby to search for my husband's Sicilian roots has quickly turned into my own odyssey! In gathering manifest images, naturalization and alien records and the like I have answered many questions about my own heritage but find myself with many, many more!

      My grandmother was born Helena Popovic in Csircs in 12 February 1899. I think. That is the date she gave to Social Security, the bank, the American government, and her son. Yet her birth/baptism is the only one of her siblings that can not be found in the Greek Orthodox registers in Circ. Mystery #1.

      My father's last name was Povich. Knowing know that her "maiden name" was Popovics makes my curious about how many similar surname marriages are out there. Mystery #2.

      I recently received my dad's birth certificate, only to read that her maiden name on that document was Tomka. There are Tomkas from Circ, but I can't find any connection. Mystery #3.

      I never know my grandfather, but now know he was also Slovakian. The name on my dad's BC is "John Povich". All of the Popovics who came over that I have found thus far changed the spelling to POPOVICH, but is it possible he shortened as well as anglicized the name? MYstery #4.

      Thank goodness summer is coming! I plan to go to Circ in June to meet my grandmother's last remaining sister in law will will celebrate her 98th birthday this year. Perhaps a few answers will come my way in the motherland!

      Too much for a post? Let me know!

      Susan
    • John
      Message 2 of 10 , May 2, 2011
        >>> My grandmother was born Helena Popovic in Csircs in 12 February 1899. . . . can not
        be found in the Greek Orthodox registers in Circ. <<<

        Records for Circ are Greek CATHOLIC. No Helena borh 12 Feb 1899. Previous year(s) are Cyrillic.

        >>> I recently received my dad's birth certificate, only to read that her maiden
        name on that document was Tomka. <<<

        [Tomka] would likely be TomkO.

        Cisarik shows no instances of POPOVIC, JUHASZ, SKRAK but has SIMA in his genealogy data for Circ.

        The 1969 Hungarian Census is available and could provide a wealth of information (on film).

        Csircs (Circ) LDS Film #2162317 Item 4
        (cont) Csircs (Circ) Film #2162318 Item 1
      • John
        Message 3 of 10 , May 2, 2011
          >>> instances of POPOVIC, JUHASZ, SKRAK but has SIMA <<<

          SIMA appeared in Circ 56X in the 1995 census and Simova 38X.

          Perhaps not coincidence but POPOVIC, JUHASZ and SKRAK seem to collide in Dargovských Hrdinov, per the 1995 census. I gather that those clans are from the Kosice area. Dargovských Hrdinov is a part of Kosice, in the northeast corner.
        • susanpovich
          Message 4 of 10 , May 3, 2011

            > SIMA appeared in Circ 56X in the 1995 census and Simova 38X.
            >
            > Perhaps not coincidence but POPOVIC, JUHASZ and SKRAK seem to collide in Dargovských Hrdinov, per the 1995 census. I gather that those clans are from the Kosice area. Dargovských Hrdinov is a part of Kosice, in the northeast corner.

            Thanks-- from what I can gather my grandmother and her siblings and cousins were the last of the Popovics clan in Circ. There are none to be found in Circ, and the only nephew I can find now lives in Slovenska Ves. I am getting the impression that survival was more important that keeping the family intact on the soil they had lived on since at least 1729. That is as far back in Circ as I can stretch...
          • susanpovich
            Message 5 of 10 , May 3, 2011

              > be found in the Greek Orthodox registers in Circ. <<<
              >
              > Records for Circ are Greek CATHOLIC. No Helena borh 12 Feb 1899. Previous year(s) are Cyrillic.

              > name on that document was Tomka. <<<
              >
              > [Tomka] would likely be TomkO.
              >
              > Cisarik shows no instances of POPOVIC, JUHASZ, SKRAK but has SIMA in his genealogy data for Circ.
              >
              > The 1969 Hungarian Census is available and could provide a wealth of information (on film).
              >
              > Csircs (Circ) LDS Film #2162317 Item 4
              > (cont) Csircs (Circ) Film #2162318 Item 1

              Thanks John--I stand corrected! The religion is new to me and I find myself confused my the orthodox, Catholic and Byzantine faiths!

              I was able to use Mary Maddock's translation and found both of my grandmother's parents were listed there. I wish a census had survived from the first quarter of the 20th century... I am almost certain that my grandmother was born Popovics, but may have been married either just before she left for America or right after she got here. She was very secretive and I would love to know the mystery of her life.

              My grandmother's mother was born Totura, and I was hoping that the person writing down her maiden name on the birth certificate had bad handwriting and it merely LOOKED like Tomka, but it is plainly not the case...

              I am hoping that my pilgrimage back to Circ this summer will open some windows as well!

              Are you familiar with Circ?

            • John
              Message 6 of 10 , May 4, 2011
                >>> I am hoping that my pilgrimage back to Circ this summer will open some windows as well! Are you familiar with Circ? <<<

                I am not familiar with that part of Slovakia. However, there is a single link (Timocsko) in my family tree database that is tied to Orlov, 4.5 km to the west.

                Have a great trip to Slovakia
              • haluska
                Message 7 of 10 , May 4, 2011
                  Did you find their port of entry and a passenger manifest?

                  Were any of them naturalized? If not,try for an Alien registration.

                  Next best thing to their own words! I am laughing...started the same way as you but it has actually become easier...still having trouble with cyrillic though.

                  Good luck and keep posting with your progress!

                  Dennis

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "susanpovich" <ahoodlumof85@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Everyone,
                  >
                  > I feel as though I am an infant in the genealogical world, but I am determined to catch up to everyone! My grandmother never spoke about her life in Slovakia, and I had never heard the term "Rusyn" until this summer. What began as a hobby to search for my husband's Sicilian roots has quickly turned into my own odyssey! In gathering manifest images, naturalization and alien records and the like I have answered many questions about my own heritage but find myself with many, many more!
                  >
                  > My grandmother was born Helena Popovic in Csircs in 12 February 1899. I think. That is the date she gave to Social Security, the bank, the American government, and her son. Yet her birth/baptism is the only one of her siblings that can not be found in the Greek Orthodox registers in Circ. Mystery #1.
                  >
                  > My father's last name was Povich. Knowing know that her "maiden name" was Popovics makes my curious about how many similar surname marriages are out there. Mystery #2.
                  >
                  > I recently received my dad's birth certificate, only to read that her maiden name on that document was Tomka. There are Tomkas from Circ, but I can't find any connection. Mystery #3.
                  >
                  > I never know my grandfather, but now know he was also Slovakian. The name on my dad's BC is "John Povich". All of the Popovics who came over that I have found thus far changed the spelling to POPOVICH, but is it possible he shortened as well as anglicized the name? MYstery #4.
                  >
                  > Thank goodness summer is coming! I plan to go to Circ in June to meet my grandmother's last remaining sister in law will will celebrate her 98th birthday this year. Perhaps a few answers will come my way in the motherland!
                  >
                  > Too much for a post? Let me know!
                  >
                  > Susan

                • susanpovich
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 4, 2011
                    I have burned thorough the Internet; I have found my grandmother's naturalization papers, her entry on her ship manifest, entry in the 1930 census, her alien file and her social security application. What a busy year! I have made contact with 2 of the 3 brothers' families (those are the brothers who also came to America). My grandfather eludes me partially because my grandmother never wanted to share her life with us. I think the Rusyn stubbornness has rubbed off on me!!! I will keep you up to date-- even writing the accomplishments out is helpful!

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                    > Did you find their port of entry and a passenger manifest?
                    >
                    > Were any of them naturalized? If not,try for an Alien registration.
                    >
                    > Next best thing to their own words! I am laughing...started the same way as you but it has actually become easier...still having trouble with cyrillic though.
                    >
                    > Good luck and keep posting with your progress!
                    >
                    > Dennis
                    >
                    > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "susanpovich" <ahoodlumof85@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Hi Everyone,
                    > >
                    > > I feel as though I am an infant in the genealogical world, but I am determined to catch up to everyone! My grandmother never spoke about her life in Slovakia, and I had never heard the term "Rusyn" until this summer. What began as a hobby to search for my husband's Sicilian roots has quickly turned into my own odyssey! In gathering manifest images, naturalization and alien records and the like I have answered many questions about my own heritage but find myself with many, many more!
                    > >
                    > > My grandmother was born Helena Popovic in Csircs in 12 February 1899. I think. That is the date she gave to Social Security, the bank, the American government, and her son. Yet her birth/baptism is the only one of her siblings that can not be found in the Greek Orthodox registers in Circ. Mystery #1.
                    > >
                    > > My father's last name was Povich. Knowing know that her "maiden name" was Popovics makes my curious about how many similar surname marriages are out there. Mystery #2.
                    > >
                    > > I recently received my dad's birth certificate, only to read that her maiden name on that document was Tomka. There are Tomkas from Circ, but I can't find any connection. Mystery #3.
                    > >
                    > > I never know my grandfather, but now know he was also Slovakian. The name on my dad's BC is "John Povich". All of the Popovics who came over that I have found thus far changed the spelling to POPOVICH, but is it possible he shortened as well as anglicized the name? MYstery #4.
                    > >
                    > > Thank goodness summer is coming! I plan to go to Circ in June to meet my grandmother's last remaining sister in law will will celebrate her 98th birthday this year. Perhaps a few answers will come my way in the motherland!
                    > >
                    > > Too much for a post? Let me know!
                    > >
                    > > Susan

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 4, 2011
                      Susan,
                      I was just able to follow your thread today. Since you mentioned Circ I had to let you know that I am familiar with it and the area. My ancestral village is Hromos, about 9 km to the west. I have made six trips to Slovak in the last 10 years.
                      Your search is for surnames Povich and Popvich. Using the 1995 Census; there an no Povich listings in Slovakia and Priezvisko POPOVIČ sa na Slovensku v roku 1995 nachádzalo 851×, celkový počet lokalít: Which translates to there were 1995 Popovic listings in 851 locations in Slovakia. A goodly number. Unfortunately, Popovic was not in the top 100 surnames listed for Circ. Scerbak my paternal grandmother’s surname is.
                      As for Povich, it may have been one of those misspelled names on arrival. That “v” above the “c” changes the pronunciation. Ellis Island had only two listings by that spelling. And none could be found in Circ.
                      Your mystery # 3 talks about your father, but you say “her” maiden name was Tomka. Right now there as 16 listings for Tomko in Circ in the 1995 Census.
                      The Circ Greek Catholic records are online - http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1554443&w=0

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "haluska" <ddhalusker@...> wrote:

                      > Did you find their port of entry and a passenger manifest?
                      >
                      > Were any of them naturalized? If not,try for an Alien registration.
                      >
                      > Next best thing to their own words! I am laughing...started the same way as you but it has actually become easier...still having trouble with cyrillic though.
                      >
                      > Good luck and keep posting with your progress!
                      >
                      > Dennis
                      >
                      > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "susanpovich" <ahoodlumof85@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi Everyone,
                      > >
                      > > I feel as though I am an infant in the genealogical world, but I am determined to catch up to everyone! My grandmother never spoke about her life in Slovakia, and I had never heard the term "Rusyn" until this summer. What began as a hobby to search for my husband's Sicilian roots has quickly turned into my own odyssey! In gathering manifest images, naturalization and alien records and the like I have answered many questions about my own heritage but find myself with many, many more!
                      > >
                      > > My grandmother was born Helena Popovic in Csircs in 12 February 1899. I think. That is the date she gave to Social Security, the bank, the American government, and her son. Yet her birth/baptism is the only one of her siblings that can not be found in the Greek Orthodox registers in Circ. Mystery #1.
                      > >
                      > > My father's last name was Povich. Knowing know that her "maiden name" was Popovics makes my curious about how many similar surname marriages are out there. Mystery #2.
                      > >
                      > > I recently received my dad's birth certificate, only to read that her maiden name on that document was Tomka. There are Tomkas from Circ, but I can't find any connection. Mystery #3.
                      > >
                      > > I never know my grandfather, but now know he was also Slovakian. The name on my dad's BC is "John Povich". All of the Popovics who came over that I have found thus far changed the spelling to POPOVICH, but is it possible he shortened as well as anglicized the name? MYstery #4.
                      > >
                      > > Thank goodness summer is coming! I plan to go to Circ in June to meet my grandmother's last remaining sister in law will will celebrate her 98th birthday this year. Perhaps a few answers will come my way in the motherland!
                      > >
                      > > Too much for a post? Let me know!
                      > >
                      > > Susan

                    • susanpovich
                      Message 10 of 10 , May 5, 2011
                        Thanks for your reply, Michael! I do not speak Slovak but am working on hiring a genealogy guide who can translate a little and help me locate the right records office. Please tell me more about the area and life of the people in that area of Slovakia; it is one area in Europe that is new to me! I can not tell you how excited I am to be making the trip, but I want to be careful not to make the people I meet uncomfortable with my enthusiasm! What would be good to bring from America as a gift? What town village would be a good place to consider for accommodations?

                        When my grandmother came to this country her name was listed as Popovic. That was the name on the ship's manifest, and that is the name she listed as her father's surname on her application for a social security card. I have scrutinized the Greek Catholic registers for Circ from familysearch and have located her parents and siblings until 1906.

                        The naturalization papers I have for her list her as "Helen Povich formerly known as Helena Popovics". The ship's manifest lists her as single. The 1930 census lists her as a widow, and that her first marriage was at the age of 22. She came to this country in January of 1922 and was born in 1899. A year or two were not a concern to me... until I received my father's birth certificate. On that she lists her "name before marriage" as Tomka, and my dad's father with the surname of "Povich". Perhaps she was married in Slovakia, left her husband or became a widow early, came to America, met a guy, had my dad in March of 1924, and then left my father's dad. Perhaps she was born a "Popovics" who married a "Tomka" and then married a "Povich". Perhaps she was not married to my father's dad at all and gave my father her surname, but in an anglicized form.

                        I think Popovics is the Slovakian form of the surname, although I believe it is also an alias for the original name. ... In Circ some of the family used the original name "Juhas". A genealogist I contacted found siblings for my grandmother with either surname, so the mystery thickens...

                        Thanks for your advice and information-- even tying this response has given me the opportunity to review what I have discovered this far!!