Re: Village lookup not working

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 29, 2011
      Tom,

      These are all identifiable villages. Rudlov is the current name of the village in Eastern Slovakia. Boberka is a village in the Turka region of the present day Ukraine. The Volya of Saris is called Ruska Vol'a today.

      Curt B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <jaschr71@...> wrote:

      > I have a Greek Catholic marriage record from Swoyersville, PA indicating the bride is from Sariskoj, Volya, Hungary, and the Groom from Turka, Boberka, Galicia. The toolbox village lookup doesn't seem to be working today. Is anyone familiar with either of these villages? I believe the reference Sariskoj is to Saros Magye, Hungary or Saris zupa, Slovakia. I have another reference to a village named Rudlov, but don't know if that is the Hungarian or current Slovakian village name. Thanks, Tom

    • Tom Potsko
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
        Curt,

        Thanks you. I did find Rudlov/Rudlyo, Hungary records and the baptismal
        record for the bride, as well as the marriage record for her parents. I had
        found two Bobrka villages in southeasten Poland, not the Boberka in Ukraine.
        I am a novice to Ukraine research, but The family did think they were
        originally Ukrainian(one one side). Where is the Turka region of Ukraine, I
        would guess in the southwest, near Slovakia? Thanks Again, Tom.

        On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:17 AM, CurtB <curt67boc@...> wrote:

        > Tom,
        >
        > These are all identifiable villages. Rudlov is the current name of the
        > village in Eastern Slovakia. Boberka is a village in the Turka region of
        > the present day Ukraine. The Volya of Saris is called Ruska Vol'a today.
        >
        > Curt B.
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <jaschr71@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a Greek Catholic marriage record from Swoyersville, PA indicating
        > the bride is from Sariskoj, Volya, Hungary, and the Groom from Turka,
        > Boberka, Galicia. The toolbox village lookup doesn't seem to be working
        > today. Is anyone familiar with either of these villages? I believe the
        > reference Sariskoj is to Saros Magye, Hungary or Saris zupa, Slovakia. I
        > have another reference to a village named Rudlov, but don't know if that is
        > the Hungarian or current Slovakian village name. Thanks, Tom

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turka,_Ukraine This is for the village, the region is generally associated with it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turkivskyi_Raion

          On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 2:17 AM, CurtB <mailto:curt67boc%40comcast.net> wrote:

          > Tom,
          >
          > These are all identifiable villages. Rudlov is the current name of the
          > village in Eastern Slovakia. Boberka is a village in the Turka region of
          > the present day Ukraine. The Volya of Saris is called Ruska Vol'a today.
          >
          > Curt B.
          >
          > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <jaschr71@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a Greek Catholic marriage record from Swoyersville, PA indicating
          > the bride is from Sariskoj, Volya, Hungary, and the Groom from Turka,
          > Boberka, Galicia. The toolbox village lookup doesn't seem to be working
          > today. Is anyone familiar with either of these villages? I believe the
          > reference Sariskoj is to Saros Magye, Hungary or Saris zupa, Slovakia. I
          > have another reference to a village named Rudlov, but don't know if that is
          > the Hungarian or current Slovakian village name. Thanks, Tom

          > mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS-unsubscribe%40yahoogroups.comYahoo! Groups Links

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 30, 2011
            Yes, not too far from the Slovak border. I just tried googling Boberka and found the map, photos and descriptions. Check it out.

            Curt B.