Re: [S-R] Re: question about old alphabet

  • Elaine Powell
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 26 8:28 PM
      Steve,

      I have been reviewing RC church records for several towns in eastern
      Slovakia, and in one of the films, the person recording the names did
      use a form of the double s where the first letter had a large lower
      loop. I can't say that it looked like the letter "p" to me, but it
      was definitely a relatively unique character.

      When you gave the information about the source, was it for a microfilm
      roll that you're viewing at a Family History Center, or a reference to
      one of the online records? It's helpful for the group to either know
      the reference for online films, so they can go look directly, or to be
      able to look at a photo of as much of the entire microfilm page as
      possible so that the handwriting can be compared based on a larger
      sample.

      You mention that this stylization occurred in the 1857 confirmations--
      is it also used in other records for marriage or death? That could be
      helpful for you to review also.

      Elaine P