Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] 1898 SLOVAKS OF HAVERSTRAW, NY

  • kathy dorsam
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 8, 2001
      Hi Everyone,
      I'm not sure how many new researchers know this
      exists, but a small publication was issued in 1986 by
      a Mr. Sutherland about the founding & building of St.
      Mary's Slovak Catholic Church in Haverstraw, New York
      in 1898, by Slovak immigrants, many from the eastern
      counties or Zupa of Saris, Zemplin, Spis and Abauj.
      Others were from the area of Secovska Polianka

      Some of the names are:

      L'orko, Marcin, Jakubec, Fifik, Mecko, Hajer,
      Schuster, Minarik, Svitanek, Rubacky, Kansky, Kopcak,
      Jancosek, Sacek, Velgas, Bopcak, Besterci, Cervenak,
      Hrubis, Jakubec, Kopcej, Kristan, Matis, Petricko,
      Stefanic,Madar, Dudas, Inhat, Rabatin, Stasko,
      Urban,Kohut, Sabovcik, Junko, Komoncak, Oravec,
      Jarusinsky, Varga, Polak, Selesnak, Stec, Podracky,
      Koval, Bednar, Bajac, Dutko, Ferenc,Dzucko, Kasperan,
      Litecky, Macej, Matis, Mecko, Kurisko, Kusnir, Olejar,
      Perzo, Pihos, Rubacky, Rusnak, Sakala, Sandor, Senko,
      Tomovcik, Vahovic, Vajda, Velgas, Velky, Visnovsky,
      Zignej, Zukovic and more.......

      If anyone has an interest in any of these names, send
      me an e-mail at kathydorsam @... and I will be
      happy to check for first names and if there is a
      referenced village of origin.

      Kathy

      http://photos.yahoo.com/
    • RMH
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 8, 2001
        Dear Kathy and all -

        This is such a coincidence that I have to write. A condensed version of this
        little book appeared in South of the Mountains, the quarterly of the
        Historical Society of Rockland County. Somehow I didn't avail myself of the
        opportunity to buy the whole book at the time, and regretted it when I found
        it was no longer available, because I didn't know what additional
        information was there that I had missed.

        Just yesterday (!) I was at the library in New City, NY and looked at the
        local history books which could be withdrawn, and was so delighted to see
        that Tony Sutherland's book was there, and I signed it out. His wife is from
        Slovakia (her name sounded like Hanka) and I knew them slightly when they
        lived here in Rockland as they were close friends of a cousin; they have
        since moved to Pennsylvania. Tony is himself partly Slovak.

        As he says, the Slovaks in Haverstraw were not the largest community, but
        one of the earliest - my dzeda came there in 1881. Since he died in 1917, I
        was very moved to see his name - Andrej Rabatin - and that of his brother -
        Jan Rabatin - in the book last night - those lists had not appeared in the
        abridged version that I had previously read.

        It is because of my grandfather's work as a foreman in a brickyard that I
        have included a piece about the brick industry in Haverstraw on my website -
        other industries that offered them work were the silk mills or the dye
        works. I hope to gather information for a Slovak section on this site to
        balance out the Dutch of my husband!

        Thanks, Kathy, for bringing this to everyone's attention.

        Regina Rabatin Haring
        Nanuet, NY
        http://www.dutchdoorgenealogy.com

        > I'm not sure how many new researchers know this
        > exists, but a small publication was issued in 1986 by
        > a Mr. Sutherland about the founding & building of St.
        > Mary's Slovak Catholic Church in Haverstraw, New York
        > in 1898, by Slovak immigrants, many from the eastern
        > counties or Zupa of Saris, Zemplin, Spis and Abauj.
        > Others were from the area of Secovska Polianka
        >
        > Some of the names are:
        >
        > L'orko, Marcin, Jakubec, Fifik, Mecko, Hajer,
        > Schuster, Minarik, Svitanek, Rubacky, Kansky, Kopcak,
        > Jancosek, Sacek, Velgas, Bopcak, Besterci, Cervenak,
        > Hrubis, Jakubec, Kopcej, Kristan, Matis, Petricko,
        > Stefanic,Madar, Dudas, Inhat, Rabatin, Stasko,
        > Urban,Kohut, Sabovcik, Junko, Komoncak, Oravec,
        > Jarusinsky, Varga, Polak, Selesnak, Stec, Podracky,
        > Koval, Bednar, Bajac, Dutko, Ferenc,Dzucko, Kasperan,
        > Litecky, Macej, Matis, Mecko, Kurisko, Kusnir, Olejar,
        > Perzo, Pihos, Rubacky, Rusnak, Sakala, Sandor, Senko,
        > Tomovcik, Vahovic, Vajda, Velgas, Velky, Visnovsky,
        > Zignej, Zukovic and more.......
        >
        > If anyone has an interest in any of these names, send
        > me an e-mail at kathydorsam @... and I will be
        > happy to check for first names and if there is a
        > referenced village of origin.
        >
        > Kathy

        > http://photos.yahoo.com/

      • jerubasky1
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 6, 2012
          Kathy
          Could please check on the following surnames for me.
          Rubacky,Kopcak

          Thanks,
          JoAnne E.(Rubasky)Kaiman