Re: [S-R] Names

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25, 2011
      Betsy,
      It was not unusual for people to Anglicize the spelling of their names on immigrating. It would be much easier for people to pronounce the “ney” vs. “ny”, or at least as it sounded.
      Here Mojher is pronounced by us Moi-yer, in Slovakia it is Moi-hair.

      From: Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net>
      To: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, April 20, 2011, 11:49 AM

      Betsy,
      The 1995 Census does not have the surname Novotney. It does have Novotny. In that census there were 2526 listings for Novotny in 409 places. Without any more information that is all I can give you. The census site does list the top 10 places for that surname, 8 of the 10 were in eastern Slovakia.
      The most needed information is where your mother-in-law was from. To help in that search we need to know more about her; given name, birth, religion, when she came to America.

      From: Bill Tarkulich <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com>
      Subject: [S-R] My guestbook
      To: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 9:40 PM

      I re-started my guest book.

      http://www.iabsi.com/g1/

      It's got a lot of entries from people searching for families and villages,
      over several years. Consider it one more resource.

      We'll see how it goes.

      Bill