Re: [S-R] Names

  • Betsy
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 25, 2011
      Okay...I could be wrong about the added "e" at the end of the name.
      I will ask my sister in law for more info and get back to you,
      and thank you so very much!
      B in NJ

      I'd rather sit alone on a box
      than be crowded on a velvet cushion...

      From: Bill Tarkulich <mailto:bill.tarkulich%40iabsi.com>
      Subject: [S-R] My guestbook
      To: mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com
      Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2011, 9:40 PM

      I re-started my guest book.

      http://www.iabsi.com/g1/

      It's got a lot of entries from people searching for families and villages,
      over several years. Consider it one more resource.

      We'll see how it goes.

      Bill

    • Betsy
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 25, 2011
        I should have added more.....   Wondering about any
        others who might share the name....

        I'd rather sit alone on a box
        than be crowded on a velvet cushion...

        >>> My mother in law's maiden name was NOVOTNEY. Her family was from Czechoslovakia she said. <<<

        Is there a question associated?

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 25, 2011
          Betsy,
          It was not unusual for people to Anglicize the spelling of their names on immigrating. It would be much easier for people to pronounce the “ney” vs. “ny”, or at least as it sounded.
          Here Mojher is pronounced by us Moi-yer, in Slovakia it is Moi-hair.