Polish - Slovak History, Was: Beatification

  • Ron
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 23, 2011
      Carolyn,

      You present some concepts in a new way and some new ideas I haven't encountered in reading history, but most of my reading has been from Slovak, local, and Hungarian and German histories of the region. My family is also from the Lubovna area, so that is why I follow it.

      >>the right to incorporate them [the Spis] until the debt was repaid>> all of the histories I read speak of Polish "administration" and "economic profit", but NONE refer to permanence or incorporation. Was that a careless word or a Polish history?

      >>Austria also "took over" these lands from a weakened Hungary>>
      Austria had control over ALL of Hungary once the Hapsburgs became hereditary Hungarian kings. Can you clarify what you meant?

      >>as Polish people moved or were moved into all the valleys that led from the Poprad valley down to Presov>>
      This is a new "fact" I haven't encountered before, and it doesn't seem to blend well with the ethnic mixes of peoples I have read locally in Slovakia. Are you saying these were assimilated as Slovaks? Poles are mentioned, but in rather small numbers.

      >>western Ukraine (Ruthenians) who had traversed the Polish (Galicia) plain to enter through the Poprad River valley.>>
      Lastly, everything I have read has been pretty general in saying the Ruthenians emigrated through the Carpathian Mountains from the east. None have been specific enough to name a route as you do here. Can you point me to a good source history?

      Ron