Re: Translation help marriage record

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
      Jean,
      The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.

      Curt
      B.

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@...> wrote:

      > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.
      >
      > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages, deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and frustrating!
      >
      > Thanks in advance.
      >

      > Jean
      > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
        J.Q.Adam
        Gold is one of the few surviving German names in Lipany. At one time there were a lot of them. The town had a German name -- Siebenlinden, or seven lindens. A number of the German population was forcibly removed after World War II. Stroncer is also likely a German name, with a Slovakized spelling. Stroncer and Miko are both names well represented in the village today.

        Curt B.

        > Jean,
        > The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.
        >
        > Curt
        > B.
        >
        > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@> wrote:
        > >

        > > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.
        > >
        > > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages, deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and frustrating!
        > >
        > > Thanks in advance.
        > >

        > > Jean
        > > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

      • Ladislav Rosival
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
          Hallo,

          I do not agree with the meaning of the last collumn. I read this:

          Ni�ej podpisane djetom nasim

          dozvolujeme abi se v manzelstvi

          zebrat mohli

          following by the signatures of the fathers of the couple.

          Meaning of the text - the fathers are giving their agreement for the
          wedding. It seems the "children" were not full age.

          Ladislav,

          PS I hope you could understand my "translation"

          The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this
          context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other
          following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received
          all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest
          performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry
          indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.

          Curt
          B.

          , Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@...> wrote:

          > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is
          worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.

          > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church
          Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages,
          deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and
          Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and
          frustrating!

          > Thanks in advance.
          >

          > Jean
          > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts
          of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place
          because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and
          better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

        • tom geiss
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
            I might mention here that my relative, (from Brezovica Nad Torysou) named MARUA-MARGITA GURKOVA is alleged to have married a Stroncer??? They had, I am told two sons, who lived and worked in Presov?
            These two sons would have been the grandsons of Jozef Gurko, who is buried in Brezovica.
            I have contacted some Stroncers on Facebook who are from Presov, but they did not seem to know anything about all of this? Tom
            >>> Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages, deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and Maria Stroncer. <<<

            Located birth dates of parents.

            RC, Hethars, Film #563, p 2/81
            Born Andreas Kurucz
            F Andreas Kurucz
            M Juliana Gold

            RC, Hethars, Film #563, p 14/81
            Born Maria Sztrunczer
            F Istvan Sztrunczer
            M Maria Csak

          • Ladislav Rosival
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
              I agree with the date of 17 April, as the most possible date. I think this
              small letter is not indicating april - you can see it also in other rows, it
              wil be most likely an anding to make an ordinal - like in English the "th"
              in 17th.

              17. march is a very unprobable date -it is is in the tima of Lent and april
              17 is most probably after Easter holiday. I dont thing, that in 1865 would
              be two marriages in before Easter.

              Ladislav

              The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this
              context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other
              following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received
              all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest
              performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry
              indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.

              Curt
              B.

              , Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@...> wrote:

              > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is
              worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.

              > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church
              Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages,
              deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and
              Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and
              frustrating!

              > Thanks in advance.
              >

              > Jean
              > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts
              of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place
              because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and
              better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

            • Jean Anderson
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
                To Steve, John, Curt, Tom and Ladislav:
                Thank you all so much for the help, and for going the extra mile with additional information, I truly appreciate it! :)