Re: Translation help marriage record

  • John
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
      >>> Hethars, Baptisms, marriages, deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and Maria Stroncer. <<<

      GOLD(ova) seems such an unlikely Slovak surname. However, it exists in Lipany (Hethars) in the 1995 census and there are two current phone listings. I would not have bet any money on that.
    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
        Jean,
        The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.

        Curt
        B.

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@...> wrote:

        > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.
        >
        > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages, deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and frustrating!
        >
        > Thanks in advance.
        >

        > Jean
        > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

      • CurtB
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
          J.Q.Adam
          Gold is one of the few surviving German names in Lipany. At one time there were a lot of them. The town had a German name -- Siebenlinden, or seven lindens. A number of the German population was forcibly removed after World War II. Stroncer is also likely a German name, with a Slovakized spelling. Stroncer and Miko are both names well represented in the village today.

          Curt B.

          > Jean,
          > The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.
          >
          > Curt
          > B.
          >
          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.
          > >
          > > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages, deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and frustrating!
          > >
          > > Thanks in advance.
          > >

          > > Jean
          > > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

        • Ladislav Rosival
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
            Hallo,

            I do not agree with the meaning of the last collumn. I read this:

            Ni�ej podpisane djetom nasim

            dozvolujeme abi se v manzelstvi

            zebrat mohli

            following by the signatures of the fathers of the couple.

            Meaning of the text - the fathers are giving their agreement for the
            wedding. It seems the "children" were not full age.

            Ladislav,

            PS I hope you could understand my "translation"

            The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this
            context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other
            following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received
            all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest
            performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry
            indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.

            Curt
            B.

            , Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@...> wrote:

            > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is
            worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.

            > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church
            Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages,
            deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and
            Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and
            frustrating!

            > Thanks in advance.
            >

            > Jean
            > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts
            of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place
            because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and
            better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

          • tom geiss
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
              I might mention here that my relative, (from Brezovica Nad Torysou) named MARUA-MARGITA GURKOVA is alleged to have married a Stroncer??? They had, I am told two sons, who lived and worked in Presov?
              These two sons would have been the grandsons of Jozef Gurko, who is buried in Brezovica.
              I have contacted some Stroncers on Facebook who are from Presov, but they did not seem to know anything about all of this? Tom
              >>> Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages, deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and Maria Stroncer. <<<

              Located birth dates of parents.

              RC, Hethars, Film #563, p 2/81
              Born Andreas Kurucz
              F Andreas Kurucz
              M Juliana Gold

              RC, Hethars, Film #563, p 14/81
              Born Maria Sztrunczer
              F Istvan Sztrunczer
              M Maria Csak

            • Ladislav Rosival
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
                I agree with the date of 17 April, as the most possible date. I think this
                small letter is not indicating april - you can see it also in other rows, it
                wil be most likely an anding to make an ordinal - like in English the "th"
                in 17th.

                17. march is a very unprobable date -it is is in the tima of Lent and april
                17 is most probably after Easter holiday. I dont thing, that in 1865 would
                be two marriages in before Easter.

                Ladislav

                The marriage date is 17 April. It says 17 a, short for april in this
                context, the next date in the following entry says "ditto" meaning the other
                following marriage was performed on the same date. You seem to have received
                all the other information you need. The last entries give "ditto" for priest
                performing the ceremony. He is listed at the top of the page. The last entry
                indicates that the father's of both persons being married are deceased.

                Curt
                B.

                , Jean Anderson <mayflower1951@...> wrote:

                > I did pretty good with my first three Bardejov records, but this one is
                worse than Greek to me. I would appreciate any help.

                > Located at Family Search, Roman Catholic, Slovakia, Presov Region Church
                Books (Hungarian Place Names), 1592-1906, Hethars, Baptisms, marriages,
                deaths, Inv. c. 564, 1852 - 1873, page 106, entry 6 for Andrew Kurucz and
                Maria Stroncer. I can't even make out the date, which is pretty sad...and
                frustrating!

                > Thanks in advance.
                >

                > Jean
                > Life is what you make it: smile often, laugh, be positive, do random acts
                of kindness, be true to and believe in yourself. The world is a better place
                because of you. Every day, in every way, you are getting better, better and
                better. May your guardian angels always be at your side. Look within.

              • Jean Anderson
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 16, 2011
                  To Steve, John, Curt, Tom and Ladislav:
                  Thank you all so much for the help, and for going the extra mile with additional information, I truly appreciate it! :)