Village birth records - after microfilms

  • NBENYO@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 2:03 PM
      I need to look up some birth records for Litmanova, Slovakia for 1899-1902.
      They are not on the LDS microfilms, which cover the period 1773-1898. Do I
      need to go to the village parish to look these up, or are they perhaps also
      in the Presov archives?

      Nick Benyo
    • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 1 2:18 PM
        Ahoj!

        Litmanova is not in the Presov Okres. You would have to go to either
        Stara Lubovna or to Kezmarok or maybe even Poprad. I seem to remember
        that Stara Lubovna got the records from Spis.

        Presov has the records for Saris and Zemplin counties.

        Happy hunting!
      • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 1 2:25 PM
          You could also try Ladomirova which is even closer...
        • NBENYO@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2 5:44 PM
            Mark

            The LDS films for Litmanova start with a header page with the label
            "LITMANOVA -- PRESOV ARCHIVES" so I think the matrica are indeed in Presov.

            The question is, would the Presov Archives have any years in addition to what
            the LDS has filmed? Particularly the early 1900's?

            Thanks for any guidance ---
            Nick
          • MJESKO@xxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 5:51 PM
              The Presov Archieves have from the early 1950's and back but not
              necessarily from every village. There was a lot of destruction during
              the WW2 and if the church was destroyed, the records probably went with
              it.

              OBTW, the Matrika is no longer in Presove but in the suburb of Nizny
              Sebastiova. It's in the old Monastery on the right headed towards
              Kapusany.

              happy hunting!
            • John Matsko
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 2 6:53 PM
                When I received some research from the Preshov Archives, they told me I would
                have to go to the village level to get additional information on my father's
                family. There records only went to 1895 in this case, which is the same year
                the LDS records ended. They used the Hungarian census of 1869 to get my great
                grandfather's records. The cut off date may not be true for all areas.

                John

                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 2 8:01 PM
                  I spoke the priest in my family's village and was told that the
                  Communist gov't moved all the records out of the village churches in the
                  1950's. This is why the Matrika was established. (maybe the only good
                  thing the communists did).

                  It is also possible that the records may have been destroyed; i.e. fire,
                  flood, war...

                  I have been to the Okresni Archive in Nizny Sebastiova, outside of
                  Presov on the highway to Kapusany. I found most of the records I was
                  looking for a village in Zemplin and 2 others in Saris.

                  I did look at the actually record books and not micro-film/fische. There
                  were books missing from my villages also.

                  Happy hunting!