ORYNIAK

  • Betsy
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 12 12:37 PM
      Wondering if there is anyone here with a connection to the
      name ORYNIAK, my mother's maiden name.
      Thanks!

      I'd rather sit alone on a box
      than be crowded on a velvet cushion...

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 12 7:21 PM
        Betsy,
        Out of interest I entered Oryniak into the Slovak 1995 Census. Nothing by the spelling came up. Two alternatives were given; Oreniak and Oriniak. There was only one person each with those names in Slovakia. They both lived in or near Trebisov in far eastern Slovakia.
        A telephone directory for Trebisov had 12 Oriniakova listings. The “ova” is a feminine ending. Interesting that there were no Oriniak listings for males.
        It would appear that Trebisov is the base for the Oriniak name. And it appears to be a fairly rare name. Since no males were found in the telephone book and 12 females were all sorts of speculations can be made. How many males without telephone numbers is not know. How many males under age is not known. It could be worth while to write Trebisov. http://www.e-obce.sk/obec/trebisov/trebisov.html This is a Slovak information page for Trebisov. On the right upper there are three e-mail addresses to write to. The first is most likely to City Hall. Since this is a city of 24,000 there should be someone available to read English.
        My cousin was the Roman Catholic cathedrals head priest for five years in Trebisov. If you have some difficulty I can write him. He is now in Presov.

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 12 8:39 PM
          Michael,
          Remember that you have to search under ORINAK, since the Slovak spelling is likely to be Oriňak [utf 8] rather than Oriniak.
          You will find the name there.

          Curt B.

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 13 4:08 AM
            Thank you very much for the reply and information.
            Betsy