GET UKRAINE DOCUMENTS

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 11, 2011
      From the Ukraine Consulate in San Francisco I copied the following:
      Obtaining Civil Documents in Ukraine

      Instruction on requesting the documents from Ukraine certifying the registration of civil state acts Requesting of the documents, which are not within the competence of the Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco

      Please be advised that in order to obtain an original or copies of civil documents (including birth, marriage, divorce, death, and education records) on file in Ukraine you should submit a completed copy of the attached questionnaire directly to the ARCHIVES in Ukraine (the addresses of archives are available here). In this case the Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco will inform you about he results of these requests.
      Note: A request is accepted only if the information provided on the questionnaire is supplied in full and exact detail in the Ukrainian language.

      In order to request the documents from Ukraine the persons residing in our Consular District (Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada , New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming) can also apply to the Consulate in order to arrange the necessary request to Ukraine. In this case you should submit 3 (three) notarized completed copies of the attached questionnaires to

      Consulate General of Ukraine
      530 Bush Street, suite 402,
      San Francisco, CA 94108-3623.

      Note: The Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco will accept a request only if the information provided on the questionnaire is supplied in full and exact detail in the Ukrainian language.

      FEES (not refundable): $15 application fee plus a consular fee of $60 for a document search.

      It must be paid in advance and should accompany the search request. The Consulate accepts processing fees only in the form of a postal money order made out to the order of the Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco. Other types of money orders, cash, credit cards, personal or company checks are not accepted.

      Note: There is no expedited service!

    • Linda
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2011
        Thank you!

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 11, 2011
          Linda,
          Your welcome. If you notice the Consulate in San Francisco serves only the western states. So if you live outside of them you will probably have to contact the embassy in DC. Also so not that the request must be in UKRAINIAN. I’m not sure if that is in the Cyrillic alphabet or not. So obviously, if you don’t speak or write in Ukrainian you will need help.
          During the transfer the links were not transferred. So you will have to go to the appropriate website to use them.
          Note they only accept Money Orders. And no expedited requests.
          It sounds as if it is a good thing you have a couple of years to get all your ducks in a row.

          > Instruction on requesting the documents from Ukraine certifying the registration of civil state acts Requesting of the documents, which are not within the competence of the Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco
          >
          > Please be advised that in order to obtain an original or copies of civil documents (including birth, marriage, divorce, death, and education records) on file in Ukraine you should submit a completed copy of the attached questionnaire directly to the ARCHIVES in Ukraine (the addresses of archives are available here). In this case the Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco will inform you about he results of these requests.
          > Note: A request is accepted only if the information provided on the questionnaire is supplied in full and exact detail in the Ukrainian language.
          >
          > In order to request the documents from Ukraine the persons residing in our Consular District (Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada , New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming) can also apply to the Consulate in order to arrange the necessary request to Ukraine. In this case you should submit 3 (three) notarized completed copies of the attached questionnaires to
          >
          > Consulate General of Ukraine
          > 530 Bush Street, suite 402,
          > San Francisco, CA 94108-3623.
          >
          > Note: The Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco will accept a request only if the information provided on the questionnaire is supplied in full and exact detail in the Ukrainian language.
          >
          > FEES (not refundable): $15 application fee plus a consular fee of $60 for a document search.
          >
          > It must be paid in advance and should accompany the search request. The Consulate accepts processing fees only in the form of a postal money order made out to the order of the Consulate General of Ukraine in San Francisco. Other types of money orders, cash, credit cards, personal or company checks are not accepted.
          >
          > Note: There is no expedited service!

        • CurtB
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2011
            Linda & Michael,
            Note that this is not a genealogical research service. Consular services like this are provided by almost all countries with representation in the U.S. It is for Ukrainians abroad or their children to obtain copies, both ordinary and certified, of the major documents of themselves, their parents, or their children. They do not supply docs to others without demonstrated need. Ukrainian consular services are available in Chicago and New York for Midwestern and Eastern states [see their web sites for states they serve], others from Southern states apply to the consular section which is within the embassy in Washington.

            And, yes, the document requests must be typewritten in Ukrainian, which uses the Cyrillic alphabet. Just like if you want your
            French mother's birth certificate, you submit the request in French to the consulate who then forwards it to the proper French state office.

            And a big fee for each request. Ah, the world of bureaucracy.!

            Curt B.

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 11, 2011
              Thanks for the clarification Curt.
              Do you know something about dealing with the Ukraine Archives?
              I keep hearing that about the only way to get records is to hire someone to do the search for you.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 11, 2011
                Fortunately, I have access to lots of resources. I just retired as a department manager at the University of Oregon. I still work there (temporarily) for about six months, till they hire my replacement. I speak several languages myself, but not Ukranian. We do have a Russian and Slavic Languages department. I know lots of folks who could help me wade my way to where I want to go. I didn't however, know how to access many records until I came here. So thank you all for the tips.

                I did find my grandmother's arrival record at Ellis Island. Things get really screwed up when you're trying to read handwriting. The Ellis Island site shows her as arriving in 1907 at 11 years old with her sisters and her aunt, but it says her name is Augustue and she's a he. Ancestry says she was 21 when she arrived in 1907 and that she was a he. Geez. I figure since I'm her granddaughter, she probably looked like a boy at 11, as I did. Her name was actually Augustine, later shortened to Gustine, so I know it's her with her sisters.

                I'll keep digging. Thanks for the sources.

                > Linda & Michael,
                > Note that this is not a genealogical research service. Consular services like this are provided by almost all countries with representation in the U.S. It is for Ukrainians abroad or their children to obtain copies, both ordinary and certified, of the major documents of themselves, their parents, or their children. They do not supply docs to others without demonstrated need. Ukrainian consular services are available in Chicago and New York for Midwestern and Eastern states [see their web sites for states they serve], others from Southern states apply to the consular section which is within the embassy in Washington.
                >
                > And, yes, the document requests must be typewritten in Ukrainian, which uses the Cyrillic alphabet. Just like if you want your
                > French mother's birth certificate, you submit the request in French to the consulate who then forwards it to the proper French state office.
                >
                > And a big fee for each request. Ah, the world of bureaucracy.!
                >
                > Curt B.

              • CurtB
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 11, 2011
                  Michael,
                  Hiring a researcher is the only way I know to effectively search the archives in the Ukraine. I know of people who can read Ukrainian who tried it themselves when travelling and got absolutely nowhere. I guess it takes a patient expert who knows how to deal with unhelpful or unconcerned employees. Nineteenth century cyrillic handwriting is also not quite as easy as the modern. I hesitate to make a recommendation. Join a Ukrainian gengealogy group and you'll get some good suggestions.

                  Curt B.