Deciphering 1910 passenger list

  • Bob & Peg
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2001
      Helene or Rubi (? not sure who posted) and list,
      Do you like word puzzles? <smile>
      On his 1916 Petition for Naturalization his place of birth was definitely
      listed as Brezova, Hungary.
      Family oral history says grandpa, a Slovak, went to Vienna, Austria at about
      age 15 to apprentice as a lock smith. He left from there at about age 21
      using a ticket his sister (already in US - but I have no information on her
      emigration/immigration) sent him to come to the US.
      Column# 18 lists Frank Toman (which was the name of his sister's husband)
      but it too is very difficult to read. At least I hope I'm not kidding
      myself!

      I plan to get passenger list enlarged, as suggested but maybe a few days.
      Meanwhile every chance I get, I'm trying to compare the handwriting on the
      rest of the list.

      On the passenger list it has for his place of birth:
      Country: Hungary:
      City or Town:
      1st letter is definitely a " B "
      2nd letter is " r " (I'm pretty sure)
      3rd letter is either "e " or " c "
      After that it gets even harder to read.
      4th letter is either a " j " a " y " or a " z "
      Then there are 3 to 4 more letters which I just can't make out.
      I'm about to go blind <grin> trying to decipher the columns and the
      handwriting. Maybe I am making some progress or maybe it's my
      imagination.....
      Looks like there is a column#11 that asks for name & address of relative or
      friend from where he came.
      Here it looks like (MAYBE) Mr then could be either of these letters " l ", "
      d ", " t ", " h ", or " b " then there is (pretty sure) the letter " f " and
      about 4 more letters.
      Following that is 29 Wien XII
      If I didn't know better, then are the words uncle Michael. I'm still trying
      to figure out the surname. (this would be new info.!)
      This is so much fun and it is driving me a little crazy too!
      Thanks to all who have tried to help!
      Peggy