Need help to find Carl Kotlarchik’s military records in FHC microfilm catalog

  • Judy
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 8, 2011
      I've read through Carl Kotlarchik's A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and think I understand his explanation. Following his instructions I have found the regiment that would apply and I know that a specific person was in the military in the 1860s because I have a notation of that from the 1869 Hungarian census. I know how to search the Family History Center website for church and civil records, but don't know the specific steps to go through to locate the microfilm numbers that would include the military records that Carl describes. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.

      Judy
    • Carl
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
        Hi Judy,
        The type of military records you will find for the 1860s are called grundbuch records. I have just posted an example of one for my great-grandfather in 1864 in the files section of Slovak Roots in a folder named AH Military Records. I have also posted a template of the grundbuch that was used during this period that gives you a translation of the headings in the document. You can find these records in the LDS catalog using the following keyword search: "Osterreich.Armee.Infanterie Regiment 0XX". You did not mention which regiment you think your ancestor was in but just put that number in place of my XXs. (Make sure you proceed the number with a zero.) That will bring up all the various records for that regiment. Click on the ones titled "Grundbuch". Ignore the dates that they say they cover. Most will indicate that they end in 1860 but that is almost always incorrect. In every case I have studied so far, they extend to 1867 at least. You didn't mention what year your ancestor was born but that is important. You must find the film that covers men with that birth year which is usually 20 years before the classing year indicated on the film. If his birth year is after 1840, you will have to go to the last several films in the list and look at those until you find the one with the correct birth year. Bounce back with the regimental number and the man's birth year and I'll make a suggestion of the film number.
        Carl

        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

        > I've read through Carl Kotlarchik's A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and think I understand his explanation. Following his instructions I have found the regiment that would apply and I know that a specific person was in the military in the 1860s because I have a notation of that from the 1869 Hungarian census. I know how to search the Family History Center website for church and civil records, but don't know the specific steps to go through to locate the microfilm numbers that would include the military records that Carl describes. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.
        >
        > Judy

      • Judy Hogel
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
          Thank you Carl for responding to my question. Here is the more specific information:

          The person who I believe was in the army was born in 1842 in Vieska, Nitra (Veszka, Nyitra), making him eligible for the draft around 1862. He was married May 1868 at age 26. The 1869 Hungarian census had a remark for this person which other Slovak Roots members suggested that the translation would be something on the order of "soldier on leave from the regular army." (if interested see SR message #23028 and the very first posting in the SR photo albums labeled "1869 Hungarian census" posted by hogeljudy). Reading over the information you provided, I believe that the regiment for Nyitra between 1860-1867 (and beyond) would have been 72. Is that correct? If you could suggest a film number, that would be great.

          Thanks in advance for your assistance.
          Judy

          To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
          From: kotlarchik@...
          Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 14:22:34 +0000
          Subject: [S-R] Re: Need help to find Carl Kotlarchik�s military records in FHC microfilm catalog

          Hi Judy,
          The type of military records you will find for the 1860s are called grundbuch records. I have just posted an example of one for my great-grandfather in 1864 in the files section of Slovak Roots in a folder named AH Military Records. I have also posted a template of the grundbuch that was used during this period that gives you a translation of the headings in the document. You can find these records in the LDS catalog using the following keyword search: "Osterreich.Armee.Infanterie Regiment 0XX". You did not mention which regiment you think your ancestor was in but just put that number in place of my XXs. (Make sure you proceed the number with a zero.) That will bring up all the various records for that regiment. Click on the ones titled "Grundbuch". Ignore the dates that they say they cover. Most will indicate that they end in 1860 but that is almost always incorrect. In every case I have studied so far, they extend to 1867 at least. You didn't mention what year your ancestor was born but that is important. You must find the film that covers men with that birth year which is usually 20 years before the classing year indicated on the film. If his birth year is after 1840, you will have to go to the last several films in the list and look at those until you find the one with the correct birth year. Bounce back with the regimental number and the man's birth year and I'll make a suggestion of the film number.
          Carl

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@...> wrote:

          > I've read through Carl Kotlarchik's A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and think I understand his explanation. Following his instructions I have found the regiment that would apply and I know that a specific person was in the military in the 1860s because I have a notation of that from the 1869 Hungarian census. I know how to search the Family History Center website for church and civil records, but don't know the specific steps to go through to locate the microfilm numbers that would include the military records that Carl describes. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.
          >
          > Judy

        • Carl
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
            You are off to a good start Judy. Yes, he was likely in IR72. Now you should go to the LDS catalog and look up the films for this regiment as I described in my last message. The army expanded the number of infantry regiments that they had in the 1860s. IR72 was formed during this period. So, you will find that there are only films for 1860 to 1869 for this regiment (8 films). That is perfect for you as your guy was likely conscripted around 1862 as you have concluded. Unfortunately the 8 films are not labeled very well. They do not indicate what years they cover. So, you are going to have to guess which film to start with. I would suggest beginning with the film covering Heft 14-23 and the one covering Heft 24-33. If they don't cover the right birth years, you will have to go to one of the films up or down from there. One more thing to be aware of is that the regiment will list each battalion individually starting with the officers, then cadets and finally the enlisted men. You will know when you are in the sections with the enlisted men because they will all have the same birth years unlike the officers. When you find your ancestor, back up and determine which battalion he was in and the name of the commanding officer of that battalion. That will be inportant information when you track this unit in the regimental history. Have you looked for the Regimental history for IR72 yet? The 1860s are a very interesting period for Austrian military records because Austria fought two major wars during that period.
            good luck to you,
            Carl

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Judy Hogel <hogelj@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > Carl
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've read through Carl Kotlarchik's A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and think I understand his explanation. Following his instructions I have found the regiment that would apply and I know that a specific person was in the military in the 1860s because I have a notation of that from the 1869 Hungarian census. I know how to search the Family History Center website for church and civil records, but don't know the specific steps to go through to locate the microfilm numbers that would include the military records that Carl describes. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.

          • Judy Hogel
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2011
              Thanks Carl,

              Following you detailed instructions, i was able to find the film numbers in the LDS catalog and will be able to order the ones you suggested on Tuesday. I'll also start searching to see if I can find anything about the IR72 Regimental History. I'll post again whenever I make some progress. Thanks again for the assistance.

              Judy

              To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
              From: kotlarchik@...
              Date: Sat, 9 Apr 2011 20:16:09 +0000

> [...]

              > Carl
              >
              > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@> wrote:
              > >
              > > I've read through Carl Kotlarchik's A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and think I understand his explanation. Following his instructions I have found the regiment that would apply and I know that a specific person was in the military in the 1860s because I have a notation of that from the 1869 Hungarian census. I know how to search the Family History Center website for church and civil records, but don't know the specific steps to go through to locate the microfilm numbers that would include the military records that Carl describes. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.

            • Carl
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 10, 2011
                Judy,
                There is a Regimental History Book for IR72 but unfortunately it has not been placed on Google books yet. However, in Andreas Thurheim's book: Gedenkblätter aus der Kriegsgeschichte der k.k. Armee, Volume 1, there is a very short summary of actions for IR72. Here is what it says for the two wars in the 1860s:

                "This regiment was in 1864 VI. Army Corps of FML. Baron Gablenz in the campaign against the Danes in Schleswig-Holstein and the occupation of these duchies.

                In the 1866 campaign against Prussia, it fought in the First Army Corps of the General of the Cav. Count Clam Gallas, on 28 June in the battles near Munchengratz - 29 June at the engagement at Jicin - 3 July in the Battle of Hradec Kralove (Koniggratz) where it suffered a total loss of 16 officers (including dead four) and 432 men. The fourth battalion was one of the occupation troops of the fortress of Josephstadt."

                As luck would have it, I have extensively researched the Seven Weeks War in 1866 and in particular the actions of the Army 1st Corps which my great-grandfather also served in. Contact me off-line and I will share information with you about this unit and the battles mentioned above.
> [...]

                > > Carl
                > >
                > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judy" <hogelj@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I've read through Carl Kotlarchik's A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire and think I understand his explanation. Following his instructions I have found the regiment that would apply and I know that a specific person was in the military in the 1860s because I have a notation of that from the 1869 Hungarian census. I know how to search the Family History Center website for church and civil records, but don't know the specific steps to go through to locate the microfilm numbers that would include the military records that Carl describes. Any specific instructions would be appreciated.

              • Judy Hogel
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 10, 2011
                  Thank you Carl for offering this information. Heaven knows how long it would take me to figure out what you are so willing to share of your own research.

                  Judy

                  To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com
                  From: kotlarchik@...
                  Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 14:50:39 +0000
                  Subject: [S-R] Military Records for IR72

                  Judy,
                  There is a Regimental History Book for IR72 but unfortunately it has not been placed on Google books yet. However, in Andreas Thurheim's book: Gedenkbl�tter aus der Kriegsgeschichte der k.k. Armee, Volume 1, there is a very short summary of actions for IR72. Here is what it says for the two wars in the 1860s: