Updated: A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8, 2011
      MAJOR UPDATE, 2011: A Guide for Locating Military Records for the various
      Regions of the Austro-Hungarian Empire
      <http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/ahm.html> , by Carl Kotlarchik -

      Carl writes:

      I recently became aware of a new website that provides information about WWI
      soldiers. The National Library of the Czech Republic has digitized and
      placed on line, casualty reports from the war. These reports provide
      information about a soldiers unit, his birth place and date, type of wound
      or whether he was killed or captured, and the location. This is enough
      information to then locate what his unit was doing during the war. ... I
      found so many discrepancies between Steve Blodgett's published information
      and the one from Wrede that I finally just put together charts for each
      region of the empire.

      This is pretty exciting news because as you know, the personnel records for
      Hungarian soldiers after 1867 have been destroyed. So, now there is a way
      to finally obtain information on the service of a WWI soldier. And since
      many men were wounded or captured in this war, many people should be able to
      find their relatives.

      Bill