[S-R] Re: Need Help Translating a Rusyn Record

  • CurtB
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2011
      Bill,
      With a married clergy and a Diocese of Presov, these are clearly Greek Catholic records. There has never been a Latin rite diocese of Presov. I have seen large numbers of Greek Catholic records kept in Latin, and translated large numbers of them for individuals. Most educated people up until the 20th century could read and write [to one degree or another] in Latin. The Greek Catholic clergy at the time were no exception, and the study of Latin was mandatory for Greek Catholic clergy at the time. So called church Slavonic was used as a language in liturgical books, but was not a spoken language. The Rusyn dialect spoken at homes [still heard today in parts of Eastern Slovakia] was written in cyrillic alphabet and used in some church matrika records but surprisingly large numbers are in Latin and/or Hungarian. Just go to the family search site and start looking at the Greek Church online records sequentially

      Curt B.