Re: [S-R] Help Reading a Scanned Record

  • Michael Mojher
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
      Caye,
      I looked at the card. Your spelling I concur with – Mickiylovka. Since there is no place with that spelling I would look at it phonetically. Possibly Mick – e – lov – ka. Michalovce has been suggested – Micka – lov – c. The only other village that is similar, but no “ka” ending is Miklusovce.
      On this card and one for citizenship he lists Russia as his country. Being born in 1892 that was when the Russian Empire bordered Austria-Hungary on the east. Today’s Ukraine.
      A town that might work is Mikhaluvka, Ukraine Other names: Mikhaylovka,Michalowka,Michałówka http://www.maplandia.com/ukraine/lvivska/mikhaluvka/ It is on the Polish border northwest of L’viv. Not that far from Slovakia.
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2011
        Caye,
        Since he was born in Russia, I transliterated the text into Cyrillic characters and searched the Russian. It finds only one village, one two other people have mentioned. Mikhaylovka, which is a small village just a few miles Northeast of the city of Smolensk. You can find it on Google maps or any large printed atlas.

        Curt B.