Presov digital archives

  • June McKee
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
      I know that the Presov records have been filmed but cant remember how to get into them. I wasnt able to get into it with other villiage links so could someone please send me over the link if it is available? I would really appreciate it. Also have they yet started on filming anything towards Munkacs?

      Thank you so much
      June

    • Julie Michutka
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
        June, you can access them at familysearch.org. You need to log in;
        signing up is free.

        Julie Michutka
        jmm@...

        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
          Hi June,

          Munkacs is in today's Ukraine. There is nothing LDS going on there that I'm
          aware of. It's a pretty restrictive government.

          Bill

          ...I would really appreciate it. Also have they yet started on filming
          anything towards Munkacs?

          Thank you so much
          June
        • Peg's Gmail
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
            The Presov records are digitized, but not indexed. Once you get to familysearch.org, you will need to click on the "Europe" link under "Browse by location", then select "Slovakia" under the place names at left.

            You will also need to know the name of the village by either its Slovakian name or its Hungarian name and select the database accordingly. Then you need to know what religion and drill down from there having first found the parish they attended from a gazetteer.

            For example, I am doing some research in Zalacska (actually I intend to; haven't started this village yet). So, I have consulted the gazetteer, which tells me that there were 174 houses in Zalacska. If they were Roman Catholic (rk) they attended church in Nagyzalacska, if Greek Catholic (gk), attended in Gezseny; if reformed (ref) Vamoslucska, etc. In this case, I am researching someone who was listed in another record as being gk, so I will select the Hungarian place names, browse records, select Greek Catholic, select Gezseny, and there I go.

            Maybe there is a simpler way; I would appreciate someone telling me if there is.

            Peg

            On Apr 5, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

            > June, you can access them at familysearch.org. You need to log in;
            > signing up is free.
            >
            > Julie Michutka
            > jmm@...
            >
            > On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:12 PM, June McKee wrote:
            >
            > > I know that the Presov records have been filmed but cant remember
            > > how to get into them. I wasnt able to get into it with other
            > > villiage links so could someone please send me over the link if it
            > > is available? I would really appreciate it. Also have they yet
            > > started on filming anything towards Munkacs?
            > >
            > > Thank you so much
            > > June

          • Bob Pollak
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
              Peg - Where is the gazetteer that you mention? Is it something on-line at
              FamilySearch or is it available at a Family History Center? Thanks any help
              on this.

              Bob Pollak

              The Presov records are digitized, but not indexed. Once you get to
              familysearch.org, you will need to click on the "Europe" link under "Browse
              by location", then select "Slovakia" under the place names at left.

              You will also need to know the name of the village by either its Slovakian
              name or its Hungarian name and select the database accordingly. Then you
              need to know what religion and drill down from there having first found the
              parish they attended from a gazetteer.

              For example, I am doing some research in Zalacska (actually I intend to;
              haven't started this village yet). So, I have consulted the gazetteer,
              which tells me that there were 174 houses in Zalacska. If they were Roman
              Catholic (rk) they attended church in Nagyzalacska, if Greek Catholic (gk),
              attended in Gezseny; if reformed (ref) Vamoslucska, etc. In this case, I am
              researching someone who was listed in another record as being gk, so I will
              select the Hungarian place names, browse records, select Greek Catholic,
              select Gezseny, and there I go.

              Maybe there is a simpler way; I would appreciate someone telling me if there
              is.

              Peg

              On Apr 5, 2011, at 3:55 PM, Julie Michutka wrote:

              > June, you can access them at familysearch.org. You need to log in;
              > signing up is free.
              >
              > Julie Michutka
              > jmm@...
              >
              > On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:12 PM, June McKee wrote:
              >
              > > I know that the Presov records have been filmed but cant remember
              > > how to get into them. I wasnt able to get into it with other
              > > villiage links so could someone please send me over the link if it
              > > is available? I would really appreciate it. Also have they yet
              > > started on filming anything towards Munkacs?
              > >
              > > Thank you so much
              > > June

            • Peg's Gmail
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                There are several available at the reference section at the SLC FHL.

                They also have published online information and links to gazetteers in the FamilySearch wiki. https://wiki.familysearch.org/en/Slovakia_Gazetteers
                This online gazetteer will naturally be a little more difficult to use as it only opens one page at a time. Still it has the information you need and instructions on how to use it.

                If you get stuck and need help with either of these, you can click on "Research Forums" in the Community box at the right side of the wiki page, then click on Eastern Europe in the Europe Locality header. There you could probably post a request for help--make sure you put Slovakia in the title of the post so the right people will eventually pick it up (takes a few days).

                Or you could call or email the FHL staff http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhl/frameset_library.asp; ask for the International Floor and then ask for a researcher who is familiar with Slovakia Gazeteers.

                I will mention a couple of other resources I'm aware of that I haven't used yet, just to be thorough. First, I noticed that iarelative.com has a gazeteer of place names, but not to the parish level we need. Then there is a CD-ROM called the Hungarian Village Finder that can be purchased from http://www.hungarianvillagefinder.com/ that indicates it provides this level of detail. Personally, I have just copied the pages I need from the gazeteers at the FHC when there; they last me a long, long time.

                Hope that helps.

                Peg

                On Apr 5, 2011, at 4:51 PM, Bob Pollak wrote:

                > Peg - Where is the gazetteer that you mention? Is it something on-line at
                > FamilySearch or is it available at a Family History Center? Thanks any help
                > on this.
                >
                > Bob Pollak

              • June McKee
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                  oh thanks Julie I didnt realize that I could get them there. I have been registered for over ten years but just havent been doing much lately with my research. thanks for the reminder!
                  June
                  On Apr 5, 2011, at 5:12 PM, June McKee wrote:

                  > I know that the Presov records have been filmed but cant remember
                  > how to get into them. I wasnt able to get into it with other
                  > villiage links so could someone please send me over the link if it
                  > is available? I would really appreciate it. Also have they yet
                  > started on filming anything towards Munkacs?
                  >
                  > Thank you so much
                  > June

                • June McKee
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                    Thanks Bill, I thought that may be the case but just thought I would check and see if there was something out there that I didnt know about.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5, 2011
                      thanks Peg I will try that