Help Reading a Scanned Record

  • Caye Caswick
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5 1:04 PM

      Hey everyone, I found my grandfather's WWII Draft Registration card with his village of birth!!

      I can't make it out clearly, wondering of any of you might be familiar with this village?

      It's under the Album called Caye Caswick, it's the only photo in the album and his name is George Solovan -- I think the village name might be:

      Mickiylovka -- but that's just a guess -- ran it in Shtetlseeker and it did find a few close calls, but I'm hoping someone here can make a better ID for me.  Thanks!

      Caye Caswick

    • Nemam Meno
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5 2:29 PM
        ... possible Michalovce, okres Kosice

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 5 3:36 PM
          There is a Mikhaylovka in Russia... could that be it?

          Debbie

          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Caye Caswick <ccaswick@...> wrote:

          > Hey everyone, I found my grandfather's WWII Draft Registration card with his village of birth!!
          >
          > I can't make it out clearly, wondering of any of you might be familiar with this village?
          >
          > It's under the Album called Caye Caswick, it's the only photo in the album and his name is George Solovan -- I think the village name might be:
          >
          > Mickiylovka -- but that's just a guess -- ran it in Shtetlseeker and it did find a few close calls, but I'm hoping someone here can make a better ID for me.  Thanks!
          >

          > Caye Caswick

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 5 3:48 PM
            Caye,
            I looked at the card. Your spelling I concur with – Mickiylovka. Since there is no place with that spelling I would look at it phonetically. Possibly Mick – e – lov – ka. Michalovce has been suggested – Micka – lov – c. The only other village that is similar, but no “ka” ending is Miklusovce.
            On this card and one for citizenship he lists Russia as his country. Being born in 1892 that was when the Russian Empire bordered Austria-Hungary on the east. Today’s Ukraine.
            A town that might work is Mikhaluvka, Ukraine Other names: Mikhaylovka,Michalowka,Michałówka http://www.maplandia.com/ukraine/lvivska/mikhaluvka/ It is on the Polish border northwest of L’viv. Not that far from Slovakia.

            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 5 7:10 PM
              Caye,
              Since he was born in Russia, I transliterated the text into Cyrillic characters and searched the Russian. It finds only one village, one two other people have mentioned. Mikhaylovka, which is a small village just a few miles Northeast of the city of Smolensk. You can find it on Google maps or any large printed atlas.

              Curt B.