Re: [S-R] Light Handwritings on records

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
      When viewing the LDS records online there is a menu bar above the record that allows you to view the image in a negative mode. It does actually help sometimes on faded images.

       One other thing that helps sometimes also; if your using a laptop or a flatscreen, try tipping the screen.

      I've tipped it as much as 45 degrees.

       I get frustrated very easily but I guess I have to remember these are almost 300 year old records and having them available online is miraculous to me.

         Ron's method of opening them in a photo editing program is the best, especially to store the record.

       When The writing is faded and looks like illegible scribbles....  I keep getting an image of a Rembrant type painting of an old priest with thick eyelids, using a quill pen, and hunched over a desk, entering the records by dim candlelight.

      Larry

      Those are great tips on the  computer programs. Our LDS has a copy machine ( when we want to copy records from microfilm ) and it's amazing how much I have been able to decipher by doing a NEGATIVE copy . I turn all the way DARK ( it will look black when it comes out ) . Then hold the paper up the light or bright window and read it .

      Magda

    • gklodzen@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 7, 2011
        <<When The writing is faded and looks like illegible scribbles...Wh I keep
        getting an image of a Rembrant type painting of an old priest with thick
        eyelids, using a quill pen, and hunched over a desk, entering the records by
        dim candlelight>>

        That explains everything, Larry!

        Many thanks,
        Eugene Klodzen