Re: [S-R] Translation help please

  • spoppclark
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
      Thanks so much Joe! Truly appreciate your help. Not even his kids can agree on an exact translation. Susan
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Joe Armata <armata+@...> wrote:

      > It's in a Rusyn/Ukrainian dialect:
      >

      > My Nyanya? (means a nanny, but "my" is masculine, could this be a
      > dialect word for father or grandfather?) and mama
      >

      > Ivan Papp was born
      > in Drahov December 9
      > the year 1846
      >
      > He died
      > 1909 December 7 (or 1?)
      > He lived 64 years and 2 months? (is that "m"?)
      >

      > Mama
      > Marija Teyza? was born
      > in Berezov the year 1857
      > she died July 6
      > the year 1920
      > She lived 63 years
      >
      > They? had children
      > Vasely, Ivan, Elana, Ania, Stefan, Marika
      >

      > Joe
      >

      > > I have a 1940s diary/journal from the my grandfather kept that I am trying to translate. I understand the general data - parents/ names, birth/death information - but am trying to literally translate it. Would someone mind taking a shot at a page? I've transcribed one below as best I can and uploaded a copy of the original in a folder in the files named "Pereksta Papp Documents" (link at end of message). As to what language this is - I welcome any input. He spoke and wrote in a Rusyn dialect, Hungarian, English and in Cyrillac letters at times.
      > >
      > > Thanks much. Susan
      > >
      > > muj Kánya i mámá
      > >
      > > Ivan Papp radévsá
      > > u Dráhovi Decembrá 9
      > > ho 1846 ho raku.
      > >
      > > Umer
      > > 1909 ho decembrá 7 ho ?ˇev 64 rak i 2 an.
      > >
      > > Mámá
      > > maryá Tegsá radelásá u Berezovi 1857 ho ralku
      > > umerlá juliyá 6 ho 1920 ho raku zela 63 rohu
      > >
      > > málé gité
      > > vásily, Iván, Élaná, ancá, Stefán, Máriká,
      > >
      > > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sCCWTX4jDR-sTQeuTtiLefoeUfAX7KbujwF_xZxf0s4EcsqvZpPag16QLi4CT26e2T7l9e8fsF9xNGhAwfCDEWIa8wpILXQ/Pereksta%20Papp%20Documents/PoppStefan%20Diary1.jpg

    • spoppclark
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
        I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

        "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

        I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

        Thanks much for any help!
      • Ben Sorensen
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
          Aunt Olena and her little girl Erza.

          ________________________________
          I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

          "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

          I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

          Thanks much for any help!

        • William C. Wormuth
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
            Here is Olena [Ohleh-nah], nickname for Helena [Hehleh-nah], (Helen) and her girl Erza [Ehrr-zhah], (Hungarian for Elizabeth).

            Z Bohom,

            Vilo

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
              Hello,

              While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
              Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
              www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.

              Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)

              Vera

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
              • t.salony
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                  Maybe it's not a great idea to be passing on a website that you've never even opened or used, especially since a download is required to use it?

                  TOM

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

                  > Hello,
                  >
                  > While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                  > Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                  > www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.
                  >
                  > Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)
                  >
                  > Vera

                • spoppclark
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                    Thank you, Ben! Now to figure out just who Olena is....

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                      Many thanks, Vilo!