Re: [S-R] Translation help please

  • Joe Armata
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2 8:27 PM
      It's in a Rusyn/Ukrainian dialect:

      My Nyanya? (means a nanny, but "my" is masculine, could this be a
      dialect word for father or grandfather?) and mama

      Ivan Papp was born
      in Drahov December 9
      the year 1846

      He died
      1909 December 7 (or 1?)
      He lived 64 years and 2 months? (is that "m"?)

      Mama
      Marija Teyza? was born
      in Berezov the year 1857
      she died July 6
      the year 1920
      She lived 63 years

      They? had children
      Vasely, Ivan, Elana, Ania, Stefan, Marika

      Joe

      > I have a 1940s diary/journal from the my grandfather kept that I am trying to translate. I understand the general data - parents/ names, birth/death information - but am trying to literally translate it. Would someone mind taking a shot at a page? I've transcribed one below as best I can and uploaded a copy of the original in a folder in the files named "Pereksta Papp Documents" (link at end of message). As to what language this is - I welcome any input. He spoke and wrote in a Rusyn dialect, Hungarian, English and in Cyrillac letters at times.
      >
      > Thanks much. Susan
      >
      > muj Kánya i mámá
      >
      > Ivan Papp radévsá
      > u Dráhovi Decembrá 9
      > ho 1846 ho raku.
      >
      > Umer
      > 1909 ho decembrá 7 ho ?ˇev 64 rak i 2 an.
      >
      > Mámá
      > maryá Tegsá radelásá u Berezovi 1857 ho ralku
      > umerlá juliyá 6 ho 1920 ho raku zela 63 rohu
      >
      > málé gité
      > vásily, Iván, Élaná, ancá, Stefán, Máriká,
      >
      > http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sCCWTX4jDR-sTQeuTtiLefoeUfAX7KbujwF_xZxf0s4EcsqvZpPag16QLi4CT26e2T7l9e8fsF9xNGhAwfCDEWIa8wpILXQ/Pereksta%20Papp%20Documents/PoppStefan%20Diary1.jpg

    • spoppclark
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 3 9:30 AM
        Thanks so much Joe! Truly appreciate your help. Not even his kids can agree on an exact translation. Susan

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
          I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

          "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

          I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

          Thanks much for any help!
        • Ben Sorensen
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
            Aunt Olena and her little girl Erza.

            ________________________________
            I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

            "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

            I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

            Thanks much for any help!

          • William C. Wormuth
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
              Here is Olena [Ohleh-nah], nickname for Helena [Hehleh-nah], (Helen) and her girl Erza [Ehrr-zhah], (Hungarian for Elizabeth).

              Z Bohom,

              Vilo

              ________________________________
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                Hello,

                While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.

                Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)

                Vera

              • William C. Wormuth
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                • t.salony
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                    Maybe it's not a great idea to be passing on a website that you've never even opened or used, especially since a download is required to use it?

                    TOM

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

                    > Hello,
                    >
                    > While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                    > Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                    > www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.
                    >
                    > Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)
                    >
                    > Vera

                  • spoppclark
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                      Thank you, Ben! Now to figure out just who Olena is....

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                        Many thanks, Vilo!