Translation help please

  • spoppclark
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 1, 2011
      I have a 1940s diary/journal from the my grandfather kept that I am trying to translate. I understand the general data - parents/ names, birth/death information - but am trying to literally translate it. Would someone mind taking a shot at a page? I've transcribed one below as best I can and uploaded a copy of the original in a folder in the files named "Pereksta Papp Documents" (link at end of message). As to what language this is - I welcome any input. He spoke and wrote in a Rusyn dialect, Hungarian, English and in Cyrillac letters at times.

      Thanks much. Susan

      muj Kánya i mámá

      Ivan Papp radévsá
      u Dráhovi Decembrá 9
      ho 1846 ho raku.

      Umer
      1909 ho decembrá 7 ho ?ˇev 64 rak i 2 an.

      Mámá
      maryá Tegsá radelásá u Berezovi 1857 ho ralku
      umerlá juliyá 6 ho 1920 ho raku zela 63 rohu

      málé gité
      vásily, Iván, Élaná, ancá, Stefán, Máriká,

      http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/sCCWTX4jDR-sTQeuTtiLefoeUfAX7KbujwF_xZxf0s4EcsqvZpPag16QLi4CT26e2T7l9e8fsF9xNGhAwfCDEWIa8wpILXQ/Pereksta%20Papp%20Documents/PoppStefan%20Diary1.jpg
    • Joe Armata
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2, 2011
        It's in a Rusyn/Ukrainian dialect:

        My Nyanya? (means a nanny, but "my" is masculine, could this be a
        dialect word for father or grandfather?) and mama

        Ivan Papp was born
        in Drahov December 9
        the year 1846

        He died
        1909 December 7 (or 1?)
        He lived 64 years and 2 months? (is that "m"?)

        Mama
        Marija Teyza? was born
        in Berezov the year 1857
        she died July 6
        the year 1920
        She lived 63 years

        They? had children
        Vasely, Ivan, Elana, Ania, Stefan, Marika

        Joe

        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 3, 2011
          Thanks so much Joe! Truly appreciate your help. Not even his kids can agree on an exact translation. Susan

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
            I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

            "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

            I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

            Thanks much for any help!
          • Ben Sorensen
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
              Aunt Olena and her little girl Erza.

              ________________________________
              I have a photograph sent from Europe to my family in the US - probably in the 1930s - with the following caption on the back:

              "tutka Olena i yeyi divka Eerza"

              I believe it's written in Ruthenian/Rusyn - certainly not in modern Slovak for Google Translate can't do much with it. I understand divka, but tutka is new to me.

              Thanks much for any help!

            • William C. Wormuth
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                Here is Olena [Ohleh-nah], nickname for Helena [Hehleh-nah], (Helen) and her girl Erza [Ehrr-zhah], (Hungarian for Elizabeth).

                Z Bohom,

                Vilo

                ________________________________
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                  Hello,

                  While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                  Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                  www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.

                  Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)

                  Vera

                • William C. Wormuth
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                  • t.salony
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 6, 2012
                      Maybe it's not a great idea to be passing on a website that you've never even opened or used, especially since a download is required to use it?

                      TOM

                      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, vera holman <veracious.h@...> wrote:

                      > Hello,
                      >
                      > While surfing to do researching came across a web-site for translations.
                      > Didn't open it ,but said for translations. It is
                      > www.ReferenceBoss.com<http://www.referenceboss.com/>.
                      >
                      > Trusting it will be beneficial to you! :)
                      >
                      > Vera

                    • spoppclark
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                        Thank you, Ben! Now to figure out just who Olena is....

                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 7, 2012
                          Many thanks, Vilo!