RC Church Records: Hutta, Massa

  • Susan
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
      Greetings all- my first post, and while I have a million questions, I'll start with the most pressing one:

      I have located my ancestors (BACHLEDOVSKY, PROCHASKA, TOCSEK, KOTULEK, MACHO) on LDS microfilms of Roman Catholic church records for BREZNICKA. Their place of residence was always either MASSA or HUTTA. This is 1870's - 1890's.

      For the life of me I cannot figure out where those are. I'm thinking MISKOLC (and they did ultimately end up there later), but that's quite a distance to travel to have your newborn baptised. A lot of other people in the records were from there as well. I thought maybe the films were mixed up but there were a lot of "SZINO-BANYA" and other town that are in Breznicka.

      Does anyone have any ideas?

      Thank you in advance!

      Sue
    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
        Sue,
        Masa and [Katarinska]Huta are twin settlements about 7 km. northwest of Breznicka. Note the modern spellings as opposed to the old ones. Check on any map or road atlas.
        A good walking distance.

        Curt B.

        Curt B.--- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Susan" <tazzer416@...> wrote:

        > Greetings all- my first post, and while I have a million questions, I'll start with the most pressing one:
        >
        > I have located my ancestors (BACHLEDOVSKY, PROCHASKA, TOCSEK, KOTULEK, MACHO) on LDS microfilms of Roman Catholic church records for BREZNICKA. Their place of residence was always either MASSA or HUTTA. This is 1870's - 1890's.
        >
        > For the life of me I cannot figure out where those are. I'm thinking MISKOLC (and they did ultimately end up there later), but that's quite a distance to travel to have your newborn baptised. A lot of other people in the records were from there as well. I thought maybe the films were mixed up but there were a lot of "SZINO-BANYA" and other town that are in Breznicka.
        >
        > Does anyone have any ideas?
        >
        > Thank you in advance!
        >
        > Sue

      • Michael Mojher
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 30, 2011
          264 Cinobaňa PT/BC novohrad. 1973 pričl. o. Turíčky.
          1773 Szino-Banya, 1808 Czinobánya, Szinobánya, 1863–1913 Szinóbánya, 1920 Cinobáňa, Synobáňa, 1927– Cinobaňa

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 2, 2011
            Thank you so much! I never would have found that on my own!!!