Csaklyo, Sokut [Sol],

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 28, 2011
      Is this a valid Presov village(not sure if it's Hungarian or Slovakian)? Anything similar?
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 28, 2011
        276 Čaklov VT/PV zemplín.
        1773 Csaklyó, Cžaklow, 1786 Cschaklyo, 1808 Csaklyó, Cžaklowce, 1863, 1877–1913 Csáklyó, 1873 Csáklya, 1920 Čekľov, Čaklov, 1927– Čaklov

        2188 Soľ VT/PV zemplín.
        1773 Soókut, Solya, 1786 Schókút, Solya, 1808 Sókút, Szolya, Sola, 1863 Sóskút, 1873–1913 Sókút, 1920 Soľa, Sol, 1927– Soľ

        Tom,
        They are only 3 km apart on Highway 18 just northwest of Vranov nad Topl’ou in far eastern Slovakia.

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 28, 2011
          Would the Slovakia names be Ceklov and Sol or Sola, and the Hungarian names
          be Csaklyo and Sukut. I always try to associate the Hungarian village name
          to the village current name in Slovakia. The family I am researching also
          has references to Vranov nad Toplou, so this makes sense. Thanks so much,
          Tom

          On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>wrote:

          > 276 Čaklov VT/PV zemplín.
          > 1773 Csaklyó, Cžaklow, 1786 Cschaklyo, 1808 Csaklyó, Cžaklowce, 1863,
          > 1877–1913 Csáklyó, 1873 Csáklya, 1920 Čekľov, Čaklov, 1927– Čaklov
          >
          > 2188 Soľ VT/PV zemplín.
          > 1773 Soókut, Solya, 1786 Schókút, Solya, 1808 Sókút, Szolya, Sola, 1863
          > Sóskút, 1873–1913 Sókút, 1920 Soľa, Sol, 1927– Soľ
          >
          > Tom,
          > They are only 3 km apart on Highway 18 just northwest of Vranov nad
          > Topl’ou in far eastern Slovakia.

        • Michael Mojher
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 29, 2011
            Tom,
            Since I’m not a linguist I really can’t answer the question with authority. I would say that the last spelling is definitely Slovak. With the creation of Czechoslovakia in 1918 I would presume that village names would have gone to a Slovak spelling. In genealogy is is proper to use the spelling that was in place at the time of any incident you are sighting. You can footnote the modern name.

            On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 6:43 PM, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net>wrote:

            > 276 Čaklov VT/PV zemplín.
            > 1773 Csaklyó, Cžaklow, 1786 Cschaklyo, 1808 Csaklyó, Cžaklowce, 1863,
            > 1877–1913 Csáklyó, 1873 Csáklya, 1920 Čekľov, Čaklov, 1927– Čaklov
            >
            > 2188 Soľ VT/PV zemplín.
            > 1773 Soókut, Solya, 1786 Schókút, Solya, 1808 Sókút, Szolya, Sola, 1863
            > Sóskút, 1873–1913 Sókút, 1920 Soľa, Sol, 1927– Soľ
            >
            > Tom,
            > They are only 3 km apart on Highway 18 just northwest of Vranov nad
            > Topl’ou in far eastern Slovakia.

          • Tom Potsko
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 29, 2011
              In the Presov Records(Hungarian place names) they use Csaklyo and Sokut. I
              always show the Hungarian village name first followed by the current Slovak
              village name. In doing research, I see both referenced, but on different
              documents, so it's always helpful to know both. Thanks, Tom

              On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Michael Mojher <mgmojher@...>wrote:

              > Tom,
              > Since I’m not a linguist I really can’t answer the question with
              > authority. I would say that the last spelling is definitely Slovak. With the
              > creation of Czechoslovakia in 1918 I would presume that village names would
              > have gone to a Slovak spelling. In genealogy is is proper to use the
              > spelling that was in place at the time of any incident you are sighting. You
              > can footnote the modern name.

            • Michael Mojher
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 29, 2011
                It is common for villages in Upper Hungary (Slovakia) to have as many as eight different names over the last 200 years. Most villages have three or four.

                This is from Bill’s website. So knowing the name of the village during a certain time period is useful. An example is when someone fills out the information on a Ship’s Manifest. By seeing the spelling of the village is can give you an idea of the time period of their arrival. It happened when my grandfather arrived on when spelling, went home for a visit an re-entered with a different spelling for his village.

                On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:57 PM, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net>wrote:

                > Tom,
                > Since I’m not a linguist I really can’t answer the question with
                > authority. I would say that the last spelling is definitely Slovak. With the
                > creation of Czechoslovakia in 1918 I would presume that village names would
                > have gone to a Slovak spelling. In genealogy is is proper to use the
                > spelling that was in place at the time of any incident you are sighting. You
                > can footnote the modern name.

              • Tom Potsko
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 29, 2011
                  Is Agyagos near these villages/alternative name(Slovak)? Tom

                • Samuel Ontko
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 29, 2011
                    Yes, now it’s called Hlinne. That is where the Greek Catholic church was. Been there

                    Sam

                    On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Michael Mojher <mailto:mgmojher%40comcast.net>wrote:

                    > It is common for villages in Upper Hungary (Slovakia) to have as many as
                    > eight different names over the last 200 years. Most villages have three or
                    > four.
                    >
                    > This is from Bill’s website. So knowing the name of the village during a
                    > certain time period is useful. An example is when someone fills out the
                    > information on a Ship’s Manifest. By seeing the spelling of the village is
                    > can give you an idea of the time period of their arrival. It happened when
                    > my grandfather arrived on when spelling, went home for a visit an re-entered
                    > with a different spelling for his village.

                  • Tom Potsko
                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 29, 2011
                      Sam,

                      Thanks, Tom

                      On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 7:37 PM, Samuel Ontko <smontko@...> wrote:

                      > Yes, now it's called Hlinne. That is where the Greek Catholic church was.
                      > Been there
                      >
                      > Sam

                    • Tom Potsko
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 31, 2011
                        Is anyone familiar with a villave named Obisovce? Looking for Macko, Maczko.
                        Thanks, Tom

                      • Tom Potsko
                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 31, 2011
                          Village named Obisovce.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 31, 2011
                            1647 Obišovce KS/KI šariš.
                            1773 Abbos, Obisowcze, 1786 Abosch, Obussowce, 1808 Abos, Obussowce, Obyssowce, 1863 Abbos, 1873–1913 Abos, 1920–1954 Obyšovce, 1954– Obišovce

                            V obci OBIŠOVCE (okr. KOŠICE-VIDIEK) sa v roku 1995 - MACKO 2× In 1995 in Obisovce 2 Macko lived.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
                              Is it possible that these church records would be in the Presov region, and
                              if so, in what main village, or is this Kosice region, and what village?
                              Saris zupa, I believe should be in Presov region. Not sure about Kosice? Tom

                              Message 14 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
                                If a baptismal record lists under parents: Havir vagy Szemko Janos for child
                                Janos is the surname Havir or Szemko? Is Vagy the word for alias? Tom

                                Message 15 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
                                  Does insurgent mean illegitimate(followed by a first name) when listed as
                                  parent in a baptismal record? Tom

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
                                    Tom,
                                    Obisovce is presently in the district of Kosice-Vidiek. During Hungarian
                                    rule it was in their Saris district. Since it sits about half way between
                                    Kosice and Presov it is possible for it to be in one of the other.
                                    http://www.cisarik.com/0_Obisovce_Kosice_okolie_KI_Saros_Saris.html if you
                                    open this link and look at the map you will see that it appears Obisovce
                                    sits right on the border of the present day districts.
                                    The FHL says Drienov has the Roman Catholic records for Obisovce ,
                                    1743-1896 and Obisovce has the records for the Evangelical (Lutheran)
                                    parish, 1787-1895. Since the records are not online, only the Presov and
                                    Bratislava Archives are, it means these records must have been in the Kosice
                                    Archives.

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
                                      Tom,
                                      vagy in Hungarian is "or". I could not find insurgent in a Hungarian
                                      dictionary. Correct spelling.

                                      2011/4/1 Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...>

                                      > If a baptismal record lists under parents: Havir vagy Szemko Janos for
                                      > child Janos is the surname Havir or Szemko? Is Vagy the word for alias?
                                      > Tom
                                      >

                                      > 2011/4/1 Tom Potsko <jaschr71@...>
                                      >
                                      >> Is it possible that these church records would be in the Presov region,
                                      >> and if so, in what main village, or is this Kosice region, and what
                                      >> village?
                                      >> Saris zupa, I believe should be in Presov region. Not sure about Kosice?
                                      >> Tom
                                      >>

                                      >> On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 11:03 PM, Michael Mojher
                                      >> <mgmojher@...>wrote:
                                      >>
                                      >>> 1647 Obi¹ovce KS/KI ¹ari¹.
                                      >>> 1773 Abbos, Obisowcze, 1786 Abosch, Obussowce, 1808 Abos, Obussowce,
                                      >>> Obyssowce, 1863 Abbos, 1873-1913 Abos, 1920-1954 Oby¹ovce, 1954-
                                      >>> Obi¹ovce
                                      >>>
                                      >>> V obci OBI©OVCE (okr. KO©ICE-VIDIEK) sa v roku 1995 - MACKO 2× In 1995
                                      >>> in Obisovce 2 Macko lived.

                                    • Elaine
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Apr 1, 2011
                                        To add to Michael's translation of "vagy"--it would seem that in this context, there is a name with an alias.

                                        In the records I've been reviewing from a town in the Kosice region, I have seen an equal sign used the same way (Jedzud=Herczeg, in my case).

                                        Elaine

                                        Sent from my iPhone