Michalovce in Bratislava and Kosice

  • martha.andras
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 27 8:44 PM
      Hi! Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees but I have a question as to if there are 2 counties with the name Michalovce in the records.

      I have been searching the RC & GC records from the Slovakia Church Books - 1601-1906 for Michalovce for months trying to locate my ancestors. I believe these records are from the Kosice Archives and I have many more to look at.

      With the recent addition of the Bratislava Archives - Slovak Church Books 1592 - 1910, I have found records for another RC Michalovce. So far, I have looked at the first 200 pages and they are clearly different records from the Kosice records I've been looking at for months!

      So - my main question is, are there two Michalovce's to check now? One from Kosice and one from Bratislava? I don't mind doing the work but I also don't want to go on a wild goose chase either!

      Any help/wisdom will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Martha
    • CurtB
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 27 9:06 PM
        Martha,
        You misunderstand the records. The first Michalovce you were looking at is the town by that name, and is the correct one for you.

        The other one you found simply refers to the modern Michalovce district. But when you look within it you will find only the village of Zemplinske Kopcany. If this what you are looking at, it is clearly the wrong village.

        Curt B.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 27 9:22 PM
          Thank you for clarifying Curt. I'm assuming that they are on opposite ends of the country too! So, I will return to my original plan to read all the names listed for the town of Michalovce! I have the names & dates of my ancestors - but nothing yet, Let's hope persistence will yield results! I will post anything I find! Martha

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 27 10:28 PM
            Martha,
            Note that the new records that are being posted are NOT just the ones from Bratislava. They are, in fact, from all over Slovak territory and come from all of the regional archives. The new ones are indexed separately by modern county (district). So the one you saw as Michalovce refers to the district of Michalovce. The city of Michalovce is the headquarters of the district of Michalovce. The village of Zemplinske Kopcany is only about 18 Km south of Michalovce. Quite close by, but quite a different town.

            Curt B.

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@...> wrote:

            > Thank you for clarifying Curt. I'm assuming that they are on opposite ends of the country too! So, I will return to my original plan to read all the names listed for the town of Michalovce! I have the names & dates of my ancestors - but nothing yet, Let's hope persistence will yield results! I will post anything I find! Martha
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "CurtB" <curt67boc@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Martha,
            > > You misunderstand the records. The first Michalovce you were looking at is the town by that name, and is the correct one for you.
            > >
            > > The other one you found simply refers to the modern Michalovce district. But when you look within it you will find only the village of Zemplinske Kopcany. If this what you are looking at, it is clearly the wrong village.
            > >
            > > Curt B.
            > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi! Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees but I have a question as to if there are 2 counties with the name Michalovce in the records.
            > > >
            > > > I have been searching the RC & GC records from the Slovakia Church Books - 1601-1906 for Michalovce for months trying to locate my ancestors. I believe these records are from the Kosice Archives and I have many more to look at.
            > > >
            > > > With the recent addition of the Bratislava Archives - Slovak Church Books 1592 - 1910, I have found records for another RC Michalovce. So far, I have looked at the first 200 pages and they are clearly different records from the Kosice records I've been looking at for months!
            > > >
            > > > So - my main question is, are there two Michalovce's to check now? One from Kosice and one from Bratislava? I don't mind doing the work but I also don't want to go on a wild goose chase either!
            > > >
            > > > Any help/wisdom will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Martha

          • Ladislav Rosival
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 27 11:53 PM
              Hi all,

              I think these records are all from Bratislava archive, the counties like
              Michalovce, Bansk� �tiavnica, Krupina are not correct:

              In Bansk� �tiavnica is the only the city Sv�t� Jur, which belongs to county
              Pezinok,

              In Michalovce is only Zempl�nske Kop�any, but looking into the books these
              are form Kop�any - county Senica (on the border to the Czech Republic)

              In Levice only Bohunice this belong to county Trnava

              In Krupina Drietoma and �ih�rec, in reality Drietoma is county Tren��n and
              �ih�rec county �ala.

              So there are many errors regarding county, (Slovensk� Grob is in Pie��any,
              it should be either Pezinok or Senec), and also for example in Trnava the
              evangelical books for Trnava are in Catholic section.

              So its not so easy to find the correct location of a book.

              Laco

              <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com> , "martha.andras" <mandras@> wrote:

              > > > Hi! Maybe I can't see the forest for the trees but I have a question
              as to if there are 2 counties with the name Michalovce in the records.

              > > > I have been searching the RC & GC records from the Slovakia Church
              Books - 1601-1906 for Michalovce for months trying to locate my ancestors. I
              believe these records are from the Kosice Archives and I have many more to
              look at.

              > > > With the recent addition of the Bratislava Archives - Slovak Church
              Books 1592 - 1910, I have found records for another RC Michalovce. So far, I
              have looked at the first 200 pages and they are clearly different records
              from the Kosice records I've been looking at for months!

              > > > So - my main question is, are there two Michalovce's to check now? One
              from Kosice and one from Bratislava? I don't mind doing the work but I also
              don't want to go on a wild goose chase either!

              > > > Any help/wisdom will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! Martha

            • maxine
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 28 4:30 PM
                Hi Martha, my grandparents are also from Michalovce. Vel'as
                While looking, if you spot anything about them, could you please send it to
                me. thanks maxine sasala

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 28 7:10 PM
                  Hi Maxine - I sure will! Martha

                  --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "maxine" <maxine96@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Martha, my grandparents are also from Michalovce. Vel'as
                  > While looking, if you spot anything about them, could you please send it to
                  > me. thanks maxine sasala

                • hyperlexiadaddy
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 28 9:35 PM
                    Have you all tried typing in the surnames you're looking
                    for into the telephone directory at
                    www.zoznam.sk ?

                    Dave Y.