Re: Trite and Condescending?? RE: Nemec = German RE: [S-R] Re: Surname:Nyemecz/Nemeth/Nimetz

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 27, 2011
      Frank

       Yes I was thin skinned in the way I responded. My comment didn't add to our conversation, and for that I apologize to you and the forum in general.

       I read your post as defining the word nemec as referring to a German in the present day Slovak language, which indeed is true. What I took as condescending is the paragraph at the end. I read that as saying it doesn't matter what the origin is just accept it for what it is today.I know this whole discussion started with me misinterrpeting what you said and my response i s what was actually trite.  I've already responded as to why I feel it is critical to understand roots and origins, and I know you would agree with that, so  I won't go any farther off the topic of

        the original thread.

      Lastly I just want to say I think it's good to be able for both of us to state our views in a civil manner, although my comments were uncalled for.

       respectfully

      Larry

      From: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      ] On
      Behalf Of lkocik@... <mailto:lkocik%40comcast.net>
      Sent: Saturday, March 26, 2011 4:06 PM
      To: SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [S-R] Re: Surname:Nyemecz/Nemeth/Nimetz

       Nemec originally meant "mumbler" and referred to people from elsewhere,
      that spoke a dialect or language that wasn't understood.

       It eventually morphed into specifically meaning a person from Germany.

       I don't speak the language and can't cite my sources, so I would advise you

      to verify this if you are researching the origins on your name.