Re: Help with Passenger list, please - Also see other surnames from this list (below)

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "rpmrazik" <rpmrazik@m...> wrote:
      > Hello everyone,
      > Lately I have been having trouble staying subscribed to this list
      due to my
      > e-mail address being sent as rpmrazik@e... instead of what it
      > should be rpmrazik@m... So I'm glad to be back, at least I sure hope
      > am! I have not received many messages from the list.....
      > I was so very excited today because I received the passenger list,
      from the
      > National Archives, for my husband's grandfather! Unfortunately, it
      was
      > stamped "Best Copy Available", and it is difficult to read. I am
      hoping some
      > of the more seasoned researchers can help me out. I wish I could
      show it to
      > you but I don't know how to do that.
      >
      > The passenger list I received is from the ship S.S. KASERIN AUGUSTE
      VICTORIA
      > sailing from CUXHAVEN (COXHAVEN?) (note: grandpa's naturalization
      papers
      > claimed he sailed from Hamburg, Germany).
      > and the arrival date was 23 July 1910 Port of NEW YORK. At the top
      of this
      > passenger list it says: Saloon, Cahin, And Steerage Aliens must be
      > completely manifested.
      >
      > My first question: I wonder if anyone on the list has received or
      has the
      > information (questions asked) that are in the columns for this time
      period?
      > Looks like this form was approved February 1907. Several of these
      the print
      > size is so tiny it is impossible to read.
      >
      > My second question: In the column# 29 (one I can read the question)
      is Place
      > of Birth. In grandpa's section there are some "squigglies" around
      the
      > writing which just adds to the difficulty in reading. - Just my luck
      as this
      > was the main reason I wanted a copy of the list. Anyway, his place
      of birth
      > definitely begins with Hungary and then "Br" then maybe "e" or "c"
      then
      > could be "y" or "g" or "z" then after that not sure as hand writing
      is very
      > difficult could be 3 to 4 more letters. Anyone care to take some
      "educated"
      > guesses here? Please? In column# 10 It lists his Race or People:
      Slovak.
      > (Note: His nationalization papers listed his place of birth as
      Brezova.)
      > Could it be the same, you think?

      What was in column 9 (Last Residence) ?

      Any ditto marks below name of Last Residence across from surnames ?

      Often surnames from same village traveled together in a group and
      their names were listed in the ship manifest, one after the other
      in a particular grouping under same Last Residence.

      If his name was listed down the page with other surnames in column
      from various locations , he was not traveling 1st class or 2nd
      class, but steerage (3rd class)
      Even children traveling in 1st class or 2nd class were listed as
      Master or Miss before their names.

      Which Brezová ?
      There are three in Slovakia.
      Perhaps the LDS-Mormons filmed its parish church records and you can
      review the microfilms for his name ?

      Brezová located 70 miles ENE of Bratislava and near Topol'cany.
      Brezová located 94 miles ENE of Bratislava and near Krupina.
      Brezová pod Bradlom located 40 miles NNE of Bratislava and near
      Senica.

      The Hamburg America Line steamship KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA,
      was laid down by A.G. Vulcan, Stettin (ship #264), as the EUROPA,
      and launched 29 August 1905 under the name KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA.
      24,581 tons; 206 (214.9) x 23,5 meters (length x breadth); 2 funnels,
      4 masts; twin-screw propulsion, quadruple-expansion engines (17,500
      psi), service speed 17.5 (maximum 18) knots; accommodation for 652
      passengers in 1st class, 286 in 2nd class, 216 in 3rd class, and 1,842
      in steerage; crew of 593.
      At the time of her launch, the KAISERIN AUGUSTE VICTORIA was the
      largest passenger ship in the world, supplanting the AMERIKA.
      10 May 1906, maiden voyage, Hamburg-Dover-Cherbourg-New York. 23 June
      1914, last voyage, Hamburg-Southampton-Cherbourg-New York-Hamburg. 1
      August 1914, laid up for the duration of World War I in Hamburg. 23
      March 1919, sailed for Cowes, England, where she was surrendered to
      the Shipping Controller on 27 March; immediately transferred to the
      U.S. Shipping Board for use as a troop transport. 14 February 1920-1
      January 1921, 10 roundtrip voyages, Liverpool-New York, chartered by
      the Cunard Line. 13 May 1921, sold to the Canadian
      Pacific Railway Co. 5 August 1921, renamed EMPRESS OF SCOTLAND;
      refitted by Vulcan-Werft, Hamburg: 25,037 tons; converted to oil fuel;
      accommodation for 459 passengers in 1st class, 478 in 2nd class, 960
      in 3rd class. 22 January 1922, first voyage, Southampton-New
      York-Mediterranean cruise. 22 April 1922, second voyage,
      Southampton-Cherbourg-Quebec. 14 June 1922, first voyage,
      Hamburg-Southampton-Cherbourg-Quebec. 1923, collided at Hamburg with
      the S.S. BONUS. May 1926, passenger accommodation changed to 1st
      class, 2nd class, tourist, and 3rd class. 1927, passenger
      accommodation changed to 1st class, tourist, and 3rd class. 11 October
      1930, last voyage, Southampton-Cherbourg-Quebec.
      2 December 1930, sold to Hughes, Bolkow & Co, Blyth. 10 December 1930,
      burned out and sunk in the Hughes, Bolkow yard at Blyth. May 1931,
      wreck raised. October 1931,scrapping completed [Arnold Kludas and
      Herbert Bischoff, Die Schiffe Hamburg-Amerika-Linie, Bd. 1:
      1847-1906 (Herford: Koehler, 1979), pp. 154-155 (5 photographs);
      Arnold Kludas, Die grossen Passagierschiffe der Welt; Eine
      Dokumentation, Bd. 1: 1858-1912 (2nd ed.; Oldenburg/Hamburg: Gerhard
      Stalling, c1973), pp. 120-121 (2 photographs);
      Noel Reginald Pixell Bonsor, North Atlantic Seaway; An Illustrated
      History of the Passenger Services Linking the Old World with the New
      (2nd ed.; Jersey, Channel Islands: Brookside Publications), vol. 1
      (1975), p. 412].
      Also pictured in Clas Broder Hansen, Passenger liners from Germany,
      1816-1990, translated from the German by Edward Force (West Chester,
      Pennsylvania: Schiffer Pub., c1991), p. 88; William H. Miller, Jr.,
      The First Great Ocean Liners in Photographs; 193 Views, 1897-1927 (New
      York: Dover Publications, 1984), pp. 34-36 (5 photographs); and in
      William H. Miller, Jr., Pictorial Encyclopedia of Ocean Liners,
      1860-1914 (New York: Dover Publications, 1995), p. 63. - [Posted to
      The Emigration-Ships Mailing List by Michael Palmer - 4 July 1998].
    • rpmrazik
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
        Helene,
        Thank-you for your suggestion. I haven't tried enlarging yet, but will try
        that. The copy I received is not very good but it might help!
        If you think of any other suggestion, please e-mail me using
        rpmrazik@...
        as I seem to still be having problems receiving Slovak Roots posted
        messages. (It's driving my nuts! Because I know I am really missing out as
        so much good information comes through the list!) I did not even receive the
        message (I posted) that you responded too. I did receive 3 messages that
        were posted to the Slovak Roots list that were responses to my post, but no
        other messages from Slovak Roots so far today. This seems strange to me. Has
        this list been that slow?
        If you have a spare minute could you e-mail me back and let me know what
        e-mail address (for me) shows up in the heading of this message?
        Thanks A Bunch!
        Peggy
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
          Yes, THERE IS A BREZOVA , HUNGARY . I have read the actual microfilm of the
          church records from that are . It's near Aggeltek . It might actually be a
          "ghosttown " now , absorbed into the National park that was created in 1945
          or so. It was in Hungary , and now , it's very near the border .
          > guesses here? Please? In column# 10 It lists his Race or People: Slovak.
          > (Note: His nationalization papers listed his place of birth as Brezova.)
          > Could it be the same, you think? >>
          >
          > Hi Peggy - sure sounds like Brezova, especially as he is listed as Slovak
          but
          > from Hungary (since at that time Slovakia was a part of Hungary)
          >
          > Have you tried copying the document and blowing it up much larger?
          Sometimes
          > this helps.
          >
          > helene

        • Bob & Peg
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
            Helene,
            Would this Brezova you know of, now be called Brzova pod Bradlom, located
            near Senica, West Slovakia?
            I have no proof, but most researchers (more experienced than I) think this
            is the Brezova my husband's grandfather may have come from.
            Peggy

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
              In a message dated 1/7/2001 3:41:44 AM, rpmrazik@... writes:

              << Would this Brezova you know of, now be called Brzova pod Bradlom, located
              near Senica, West Slovakia? >>

              I am quite sure of it Peggy, Actually the place name today is Brezova pod
              Bradlom.

              Do get in touch with Anabeth - she is an expert in this area and has done a
              lot of research there listing hundreds of surnames.

              helene
            • helenezx@aol.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 6, 2001
                In a message dated 1/7/2001 5:07:52 AM, magton@... writes:

                << THERE IS A BREZOVA , HUNGARY >>

                Now called Silicka Brezova about a kilometer or two from the Hungarian border.

                Seems it would be good to check Brezova pod Bradlom first as a surprising
                number of Slovak Americans have roots in this village, the percentage from
                Novohrad is many times less.

                helene