Gayarsky

  • judybrenner47
    Message 1 of 21 , Mar 23, 2011
      I should have included more info - the citation I am asking about is

      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004630132.004630132_00459

      Slovakia church books, 1592-1910 Roman Catholic Piest'any Velke Kostol'any Baptisms (Kristy)
      1889-1903 Image 20/363 Line 66

      Hope this helps.
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 21 , Mar 23, 2011
        Judy,
        Reading across the document.
        Born 9 June 1890, Baptized 10 June. Name: Vitus, “mas” male, “leg” legitimate. Town: Nagykoszslani House number: torn off.
        Parent/Religion: Gajaoszky Isidones, RC and Maria Dubovzsky, RC.
        God-parents/Religion: Oribel, Joannes, RC and Sevcsik Cahtar(ine, RC

        Message 3 of 21 , Mar 23, 2011
          Thank you! These records and the group's help have given me to a break that I sorely needed.
          Judy

          > Judy,
          > Reading across the document.
          > Born 9 June 1890, Baptized 10 June. Name: Vitus, “mas” male, “leg” legitimate. Town: Nagykoszslani House number: torn off.
          > Parent/Religion: Gajaoszky Isidones, RC and Maria Dubovzsky, RC.
          > God-parents/Religion: Oribel, Joannes, RC and Sevcsik Cahtar(ine, RC

        • judybrenner47
          Message 4 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
            I posted earlier about my Gayarsky line. Since then I found the marriage record for my great grandparents - Isidorus Gayarsky (Gajarsky) and Maria Dubovsky. I am having trouble translating the entire entry. What does it say right after his name, etc.
            Feb 15 1885

            https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004630133.004630133_00410

            Slovakia church books, 1592-1910 Roman Catholic Piest'any Velke Kostol'any Marriages 1853-1888 Image 144/160
            Line 16

            Second question - What does colonus mean in this context? Where could I find a listing of the translations for the words used here and in the death records? Some of the terms seem pretty specific and my Latin is a bit rusty.

            Thanks for all your help.

            Judy

            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "judybrenner47" <brennner@...> wrote:

            > Thank you! These records and the group's help have given me to a break that I sorely needed.
            > Judy
            >
            > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Judy,
            > > Reading across the document.
            > > Born 9 June 1890, Baptized 10 June. Name: Vitus, “mas” male, “leg” legitimate. Town: Nagykoszslani House number: torn off.
            > > Parent/Religion: Gajaoszky Isidones, RC and Maria Dubovzsky, RC.
            > > God-parents/Religion: Oribel, Joannes, RC and Sevcsik Cahtar(ine, RC

          • Michael Mojher
            Message 5 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
              Judy,
              The box next to the married couples name is for original and present location. If it is carry over the bride was from Bohumiz, now Bohunice. The were both living in Nagy Kosztolan / Velke Kosto’lany. He at ##124 and she at #148.

              --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "judybrenner47" <brennner@...> wrote:

              > Thank you! These records and the group's help have given me to a break that I sorely needed.
              > Judy
              >
              > --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Judy,
              > > Reading across the document.
              > > Born 9 June 1890, Baptized 10 June. Name: Vitus, “mas” male, “leg” legitimate. Town: Nagykoszslani House number: torn off.
              > > Parent/Religion: Gajaoszky Isidones, RC and Maria Dubovzsky, RC.
              > > God-parents/Religion: Oribel, Joannes, RC and Sevcsik Cahtar(ine, RC

            • judybrenner47
              Message 6 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                Thank you ...
                I should have been more specific - in the name box - what does the "co" mean right after his name? Could you tell me what the rest of the box says? I know it gives their parents names but what is his famther's name and what is viti coloni... and also what does it say after the bride's name?

                Thanks again
                Judy

                > Judy,
                > The box next to the married couples name is for original and present location. If it is carry over the bride was from Bohumiz, now Bohunice. The were both living in Nagy Kosztolan / Velke Kosto’lany. He at ##124 and she at #148.

              • Margo Smith
                Message 7 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                  Judy, I just tried to send you a message to your aol address explaining colonus
                  in some detail, but it was returned as undeliverable.

                  Margo

                  ________________________________
                  I should have been more specific - in the name box - what does the "co" mean
                  right after his name? Could you tell me what the rest of the box says? I know it
                  gives their parents names but what is his famther's name and what is viti
                  coloni... and also what does it say after the bride's name?

                  Thanks again
                  Judy

                  > Judy,
                  > The box next to the married couples name is for original and present location.
                  >If it is carry over the bride was from Bohumiz, now Bohunice. The were both
                  >living in Nagy Kosztolan / Velke Kosto’lany. He at ##124 and she at #148.

                • judybrenner47
                  Message 8 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                    Thanks you for trying. Please check to see if the address had 3 n's and not 2. This is a common pproblem with my address. Hope it works!

                    --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Margo Smith <margolane61@...> wrote:

                    > Judy, I just tried to send you a message to your aol address explaining colonus
                    > in some detail, but it was returned as undeliverable.
                    >
                    > Margo
                    >

                    > ________________________________

                  • Michael Mojher
                    Message 9 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                      Judy,
                      cosobrinus – cousin on mother’s side
                      viti can mean sin and coloi can mean live in, not sure if that is the intent
                      filius – son of
                      filia - daughter of
                      inquilini – tenant farmer

                      I should have been more specific - in the name box - what does the "co" mean right after his name? Could you tell me what the rest of the box says? I know it gives their parents names but what is his famther's name and what is viti coloni... and also what does it say after the bride's name?

                      Thanks again
                      Judy

                      --- In mailto:SLOVAK-ROOTS%40yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@...> wrote:

                      > Judy,
                      > The box next to the married couples name is for original and present location. If it is carry over the bride was from Bohumiz, now Bohunice. The were both living in Nagy Kosztolan / Velke Kosto’lany. He at ##124 and she at #148.

                    • Judith Brenner
                      Message 10 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                        Thank you....makes for interesting reserch!

                        > Judy,
                        > cosobrinus â€" cousin on mother’s side
                        > viti can mean sin and coloi can mean live in, not sure if that is the intent
                        > filius â€" son of
                        > filia - daughter of
                        > inquilini â€" tenant farmer

                      • CurtB
                        Message 11 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                          Judy,
                          The entry immediately after his name reads:

                          cothurnarius - viti coloni et Gula Catharinae filius.[the co- just means word is continued on next line]

                          Translated: a bootmaker, owning his own home, and the son of Catharina Gula.
                          [Since his father's first name is not mentioned the writer either did not know it or perhaps his father is already deceased]

                          Colonus in this context refers to his economic status and means that the person is independent and an owner of house and/or land, not a renter, servant, occupier or just squatting on land.

                          Is this enough? or do you need more detailed translation of the entire entry?

                          Curt B.

                          --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "judybrenner47" <brennner@...> wrote:

                          > I posted earlier about my Gayarsky line. Since then I found the marriage record for my great grandparents - Isidorus Gayarsky (Gajarsky) and Maria Dubovsky. I am having trouble translating the entire entry. What does it say right after his name, etc.
                          > Feb 15 1885
                          >
                          > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004630133.004630133_00410
                          >
                          > Slovakia church books, 1592-1910 Roman Catholic Piest'any Velke Kostol'any Marriages 1853-1888 Image 144/160
                          > Line 16
                          >
                          > Second question - What does colonus mean in this context? Where could I find a listing of the translations for the words used here and in the death records? Some of the terms seem pretty specific and my Latin is a bit rusty.
                          >
                          > Thanks for all your help.
                          >
                          > Judy
                          >
                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "judybrenner47" <brennner@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Thank you! These records and the group's help have given me to a break that I sorely needed.
                          > > Judy
                          > >
                          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Judy,
                          > > > Reading across the document.
                          > > > Born 9 June 1890, Baptized 10 June. Name: Vitus, “mas” male, “leg” legitimate. Town: Nagykoszslani House number: torn off.
                          > > > Parent/Religion: Gajaoszky Isidones, RC and Maria Dubovzsky, RC.
                          > > > God-parents/Religion: Oribel, Joannes, RC and Sevcsik Cahtar(ine, RC

                        • Sandra & John Panzitta
                          Message 12 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                            Hello All,

                            Is anyone else having difficulties tracking down their ancestors' immigration records? Many of my Slovak relatives immigrated early to mid 1880's and I am unable to locate their records. They were from Saros County.

                            Thanks - Sandra

                          • Judith Brenner
                            Message 13 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                              It makes sense! My grandfather said he had been trained as a shoemaker and on a ship record Isidorus listed his occupation as a shoemaker... I have the rest.

                              Thank you
                              Judy

                              > Judy,
                              > cosobrinus â€" cousin on mother’s side
                              > viti can mean sin and coloi can mean live in, not sure if that is the intent
                              > filius â€" son of
                              > filia - daughter of
                              > inquilini â€" tenant farmer

                            • CurtB
                              Message 14 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                                Judy,
                                Hold it again, I am red faced at the error.

                                The Latin text reads "cothurnarius - viti coloni et Gula Catharinae filius.

                                The correct translation is: Isidore Gayarski, bootmaker, son of Vitus [Gayarski] a colonus, and Catharina Gula.

                                Curt B.

                                --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judith Brenner" <brennner@...> wrote:

                                > It makes sense! My grandfather said he had been trained as a shoemaker and on a ship record Isidorus listed his occupation as a shoemaker... I have the rest.
                                >
                                > Thank you
                                > Judy
                                >
                                > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Judy,
                                > > cosobrinus ��" cousin on mother’s side
                                > > viti can mean sin and coloi can mean live in, not sure if that is the intent
                                > > filius ��" son of
                                > > filia - daughter of
                                > > inquilini ��" tenant farmer

                              • Judith Brenner
                                Message 15 of 21 , Mar 31, 2011
                                  Perfect! I just found the birth record and Vitus was the father. I was 99% sure it was correct and now your new translation confirmed it.
                                  Isidore's 2 oldest children were Catharina and Vitus. Every little bit helps with the puzzle
                                  I can not thank all of you enough for the help.
                                  Judy

                                  > Judy,
                                  > Hold it again, I am red faced at the error.
                                  >
                                  > The Latin text reads "cothurnarius - viti coloni et Gula Catharinae filius.
                                  >
                                  > The correct translation is: Isidore Gayarski, bootmaker, son of Vitus [Gayarski] a colonus, and Catharina Gula.
                                  >
                                  > Curt B.
                                  >
                                  > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judith Brenner" <brennner@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > It makes sense! My grandfather said he had been trained as a shoemaker and on a ship record Isidorus listed his occupation as a shoemaker... I have the rest.
                                  > >
                                  > > Thank you
                                  > > Judy
                                  > >
                                  > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Mojher" <mgmojher@> wrote:
                                  > > >
                                  > > > Judy,
                                  > > > cosobrinus ��" cousin on mother’s side
                                  > > > viti can mean sin and coloi can mean live in, not sure if that is the intent
                                  > > > filius ��" son of
                                  > > > filia - daughter of
                                  > > > inquilini ��" tenant farmer

                                • christine mackara
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Apr 1, 2011
                                    Hello Sandra,

                                    We probably aren't the only ones having trouble locating the immigration records of people in the early 1800's.

                                    I have looked for grandmother Susan Krisso's record for years now. She and two sister's came over from Gálsécs/ Secovce. I have searched Kryz, Kris, Kres, Kriso and don't seem to come up with anything. Acc. to the census, Susan immigrated in 1885 or 1886. She married in 1889 here in Philadelphia, Pa.
                                    I finally, I think, I found grandfather Stefan Makara, who came in 1884 and his name was written as Mookara !
                                    Don't give up ! Don't get discouraged.

                                    Christine

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Apr 3, 2011
                                      I have continued on my search of records and now I am looking at a birth record from 1813. I need help with the translation....
                                      I do not understand the specifics of this one

                                      https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528570.004528570_00284

                                      August 7? Michael Gajarszky.....

                                      If you can help I would really appreciate it.
                                      Judy

                                    • CurtB
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Apr 3, 2011
                                        Judy,
                                        There is really nothing to translate here except the word "uxor" in Latin, which means "wife".

                                        This is a page of the baptismal register for 1768-1828 for Bohunice.

                                        Remember this is a record of Baptism only. There is no separate date of birth given, as is often the case. This is a very sparse record containing only the names of the individuals and name of the town. The parents are Geor. [presumably Georgius] and Cat.[presumably Catharina] his wife. Then the names of the sponsors and name of the town.
                                        There are no column headings here, but it is clear what is in each column, no?

                                      • Judith Brenner
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Apr 3, 2011
                                          Curt
                                          Thanks again. I knew it was a baptismal record but the records from that period are so brief that I wanted to be sure I had everything. I figured it was Geor but I was not sure about the Cat part. I did not realize that it was her name. I understood wife but the writing made me wonder. Looking at the page and comparing only made it more confusing. I got the Ca.. but after that it was murky. There seemed to be other examples on the page but none cleared up my confusion.

                                          Once again - thank you so much for your help. Following the dialogue for the past several months has really helped me and maybe I will eventually be able to help another.

                                          Judy

                                          > Judy,
                                          > There is really nothing to translate here except the word "uxor" in Latin, which means "wife".
                                          >
                                          > This is a page of the baptismal register for 1768-1828 for Bohunice.
                                          >
                                          > Remember this is a record of Baptism only. There is no separate date of birth given, as is often the case. This is a very sparse record containing only the names of the individuals and name of the town. The parents are Geor. [presumably Georgius] and Cat.[presumably Catharina] his wife. Then the names of the sponsors and name of the town.
                                          > There are no column headings here, but it is clear what is in each column, no?
                                          >
                                          > Curt B.
                                          >
                                          > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judith Brenner" <brennner@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > I have continued on my search of records and now I am looking at a birth record from 1813. I need help with the translation....
                                          > > I do not understand the specifics of this one
                                          > >
                                          > > https://www.familysearch.org/search/image/show#uri=https%3A//api.familysearch.org/records/pal%3A/MM9.1.i/dgs%3A004528570.004528570_00284
                                          > >
                                          > > August 7? Michael Gajarszky.....
                                          > >
                                          > > If you can help I would really appreciate it.
                                          > > Judy
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, "Judith Brenner" <brennner@> wrote:
                                          > > >

                                          > > > Perfect! I just found the birth record and Vitus was the father. I was 99% sure it was correct and now your new translation confirmed it.
                                          > > > Isidore's 2 oldest children were Catharina and Vitus. Every little bit helps with the puzzle
                                          > > > I can not thank all of you enough for the help.
                                          > > > Judy

                                        • CurtB
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Apr 3, 2011
                                            Judy,
                                            OK, and I also missed one item. You will notice in the column after the names of the sponsors is a column all down the page where there is written an abbreviation "par" . This is short for Parochus, Latin for pastor, meaning the pastor of the church performed the baptism, and not an assistant or visitor. Just keep looking back through the register and on some page his actual name will be given.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Apr 8, 2011
                                              The records before 1892 are particularly sketchy. The robust details many
                                              of use were not required until 1906 immigration act. Before that a name, a
                                              country and an age was about all that you needed.

                                              Bill