Re: Route of travel to the USA

  • Frank Kurchina
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5 7:49 AM
      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Ginger " <gkopka1@a...> wrote:
      > Can anyone give me their opinions on what route was the most used or
      > the most logical for immigrating to the USA from Eastern Slovakia?
      > Ginger

      Depends upon during what time period you mean ?

      Pre-WW I, or after the creation of the new country called
      Czechoslovakia (1920)

      The pre-WWI figures by year for immigration to USA from
      Hungary (which included Slovakia) by European ports of exit
      are listed below.

      Migration from Hungary to the USA By European ports
      =>
      http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm

      Many Hungarians who immigrated to the U.S. prior to W W I came
      from the northern part of old Hungary, i.e. Upper-Hungary/ Slovakia.
      The major emigration started about 1870 and ended about 1910.

      There were three main ports of embarkation for Czechs and Slovaks:
      Bremen, Hamburg and Antwerp. Or they may have sailed from Rotterdam
      or LeHavre.
      However, the majority came through Hamburg (Germany) and these ship
      passenger lists should be searched first.

      Map below shows the extent of Hungarian territory by Megye (counties)
      =>
      http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g044.htm

      Hungary has a diverse political history and its boundaries have
      changed many times.
      Following W War I, Hungary's territory was reduced to one-third of
      its pre-war geographical area.
      Some territories were allotted to the Austrian area of Burgenland,
      to Romania and to the former countries of Czechoslovakia and
      Yugoslavia.

      In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from
      the Austrian Krönelands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and
      a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine)

      Frank Kurcina