Slovak Relatives

  • buccos17
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 21 8:41 PM
      I'm searching for any connections to the following surnames: Kopera from Oscadnica, Slovakia(and Pennsylvania), Valkuchak from Malczo, Slovakia (and Pennsylvania), Marusa from Senvis and Jestreb, Slovakia, Gajdos from Michalovce & Mihaly, slovakia, Senita from Jestreb, Slovakia & Hamady from Michalovce, Slovakia.

      My name is John Kopera & I'm related to the families mentioned above. Please post a message if you think we have a relation.
    • John
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 22 6:02 AM
        With apologies in advance for any accented characters that don't reproduce correctly.

        When searching for genealogical information, knowing the birth village is paramount because records are organized by village not nationally, so it is not possible to search on a national basis. It is also necessary to know the religion.

        BASIC RESEARCH HELP
        For basic research help, be sure to visit Bill Tarkulich's excellent site at http://www.iabsi.com/gen/public/

        Oscadnica: LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of baptisms, marriages, deaths and confirmations for Ošèadnica, Slovakia, formerly Oscsadnicza, Trencsén, Hungary. Th4ese must be ordered for viewing at your nearest LDS Family History center (FHC).

        [Malczo] = Malcza = Malcice: LDS has RC and Reformed parish registers of baptisms, marriages and deaths for Malèice, Slovakia, formerly Málcza, Zemplén, Hungary. These are available for online research.

        Senvis: LDS has Roman Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for Šarišské Dravce, Slovakia; formerly Darócz, Sáros, Hungary. Includes affiliated towns of Krásna Lúka, Slovakia, formerly Széprét (also called Semvisz or Schönviz), Sáros, Hungary; Bajerovce, Slovakia, formerly Bajorvágás, Sáros, Hungary; Poloma, Slovakia, formerly Polom, Sáros, Hungary; Olšov, Slovakia, formerly Olysó, Sáros, Hungary.

        [Jestreb] has five possible locations. Based upon a single entry on the Ellis Island web site, you want Šarišské Jastrabie. LDS has Greek Catholic parish registers of births, marriages and deaths for Šarišské Jastrabie, Slovakia, formerly Jesztreb (also called Felsõkánya), Sáros, Hungary. These are available for online research.

        Michalovce [& Mihaly] = Nagymihaly: Need to know the religion. Church records are online.

        To research the online church records, go to http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1554443&w=0
      • Frank R Plichta
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 22 8:23 AM
          John,

          No need to apologies for the accented characters. I received them just fine. They came in clear.

          Frank

          _____

[...]

          To research the online church records, go to http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint <http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=waypoint&s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1554443&w=0> &s=waypointsOnly&c=fs%3A1554443&w=0

        • John
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 22 10:54 AM
            In this case, Unicode UTF-8 sshows them correctly.