Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Route of travel to the USA

  • Fillmanshome@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
      Shipping lines have old mapps of what routes were taken during different
      periods of time. Also the web site at Bremen, Germany may have some info.

    • Frank Kurchina
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2001
        --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Ginger " <gkopka1@a...> wrote:
        > Can anyone give me their opinions on what route was the most used or
        > the most logical for immigrating to the USA from Eastern Slovakia?
        > Ginger

        Depends upon during what time period you mean ?

        Pre-WW I, or after the creation of the new country called
        Czechoslovakia (1920)

        The pre-WWI figures by year for immigration to USA from
        Hungary (which included Slovakia) by European ports of exit
        are listed below.

        Migration from Hungary to the USA By European ports
        =>
        http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm

        Many Hungarians who immigrated to the U.S. prior to W W I came
        from the northern part of old Hungary, i.e. Upper-Hungary/ Slovakia.
        The major emigration started about 1870 and ended about 1910.

        There were three main ports of embarkation for Czechs and Slovaks:
        Bremen, Hamburg and Antwerp. Or they may have sailed from Rotterdam
        or LeHavre.
        However, the majority came through Hamburg (Germany) and these ship
        passenger lists should be searched first.

        Map below shows the extent of Hungarian territory by Megye (counties)
        =>
        http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g044.htm

        Hungary has a diverse political history and its boundaries have
        changed many times.
        Following W War I, Hungary's territory was reduced to one-third of
        its pre-war geographical area.
        Some territories were allotted to the Austrian area of Burgenland,
        to Romania and to the former countries of Czechoslovakia and
        Yugoslavia.

        In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from
        the Austrian Krönelands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and
        a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine)

        Frank Kurcina