Books about Slovak Surnames

  • giggie
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 19, 2011
      Can anyone recommend any good books about Slovak Surnames? My son is
      doing a project for his class which is biographical

      Thank you

      Gregory Majercik

      gmajercik@... <mailto:gmajercik@...>

    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 19, 2011
        Gregory,
        I don’t know of a book, but the website Behind the Name might be useful - http://surnames.behindthename.com/php/search.php?terms=Czech+Slovak&title=Czech+and+Slovak+Names&usage=yes&operator=orm

        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 19, 2011
          Would you be able to be a little more specific about what you are looking for?
          CSAGSI offers a book called SLOVAK PERSONAL NAMES;it's a companion publication
          to CZECH PERSONAL NAMES.  It was compiled by the U.S.Central Intelligence Agency
          15 May 1964 .  I quote from the text "a description of the Slovak language, a
          comparison with Czech and the use of the Latin alphabet....an in-depth
          explanation of case and gender endings and how they influence the spelling of a
          surname...masculine and feminine forms of 1200 surnames and list the variants of
          400 given names. Declension examples, slovak titles and a map are all included.
          Contact me for more info and/or look on the site:

          csagsi.org.  Good luck to him!

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 19, 2011
            You might try the “Slovak Biographical Dictionary” published by Matica
            slovenská in cooperation with Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc., 1000 Brown
            Street, Unit 101, Wanconda, IL 60084, USA

            The book is published in English and contains the biographical information
            for approximately 800 significant Slovaks throughout history. 417 pages.
            First English Edition 2002.

            I would be pleased to look up any surname you are interested in to see if
            someone with that name is listed.

            Frank

            _____

            Can anyone recommend any good books about Slovak Surnames? My son is
            doing a project for his class which is biographical

            Thank you

            Gregory Majercik

            gmajercik@... <mailto:gmajercik%40yahoo.com>
            <mailto:gmajercik@... <mailto:gmajercik%40yahoo.com> >

          • John Hrusovszky
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 20, 2011
              Would you be so kind as to look up the surname Hrusovsky and see if it
              appears in the book?

              Thank you.

              John Hrusovszky

              On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 9:59 PM, Frank R Plichta <
              frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

              > You might try the �Slovak Biographical Dictionary� published by Matica
              > slovensk� in cooperation with Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc., 1000
              > Brown
              > Street, Unit 101, Wanconda, IL 60084, USA
              >
              > The book is published in English and contains the biographical information
              > for approximately 800 significant Slovaks throughout history. 417 pages.
              > First English Edition 2002.
              >
              > I would be pleased to look up any surname you are interested in to see if
              > someone with that name is listed.
              >
              > Frank
              >
              > _____

            • James Soltis
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 20, 2011
                I am trying to discover data about my Grandfather, Jacob Soltis (Jakob Saltes)
                from Felso Lapos, (Austria?, Poland?, Slovaka?, Hungary?, or Czech Republic?).
                I have a copy of his Declaration of Intention and Petition for Naturalization to
                the US Government which is where I am getting the place he came from.  I also
                have the same copies of the same documents for a Valentine Soltis (Soltiys) from
                the same location.  I would appreciate any assistance with my search, Thank You.

                Jim Soltis

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 20, 2011
                  I am trying to locate data on my Grandfather, Jacob Soltis (Jakob Saltes) from
                  Felso Lapos, (Austria?, Slovakia?, Poland?, Hungary?, Czech Republis?). He
                  arrived in New York in March of 1887.  I have copies of the USA Declaration of
                  Intention and Petition For Naturalization where  I got the location given.  I
                  also have the same documents for a Valentine Solti (Sopltiys) from the same
                  location.  I would appreciate any assistance.  Thank You

                  Jim Soltis

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 20, 2011
                    Hi Jim - Your family is from a gorgeous region of southern Poland that was a
                    part of Spis Slovakia and was given to Poland in exchange for mines in Moravia.
                    It is incredibly lovely there with the panorama of the High Tatras appearing
                    very long and different than from the Slovak side. The region was considered
                    poor but now is very popular for tourism - there are beautiful fields there and
                    simply gorgeous historic  churches.

                    About a dozen years ago i began leading tours to this region where they are
                    struggling to hold on to their Slovak heritage. We helped support a Slovak
                    Library. Loved the village groups - the music and folk dances and had some
                    wondeful parties there.

                    None of the records were ever filmed by the LDS Church when they did the Polish
                    records - so people in our groups began doing the work of photographing and
                    recording the village records - tricky sometimes the only entree was a bottle of
                    the good stuff presented to the priest.

                    I have 2 people listing your surname of Soltis from your Felso Lapas village -
                    Upper Lapsze (current names Wyz. Lapsze and Nizne Lapsze) - you can find them
                    over the border in southern poland - look for Niedzica Castle with its wonderful
                    old legends and just north of that a bit is your village - there is a picture of
                    the last serf in poland in the castle and it dates from the 1950s!!!!!! and
                    there is the legend of the Aztec or Peruvian Princess and a treasure!

                    so get back to me directly at e mail below and i can put you in touch with the
                    listers and also with people who have been working to document the history and
                    the families of this region. It's a really fascinating story!!!!

                    helene
                    helenezx@...

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 20, 2011
                      both the masculine Hrusovsky and feminine Hrusovska appear in the SLOVAK AND
                      OTHER SURNAMES FOUND IN SLOVAKIA Appendix C.  Remember that it is just a listing
                      of names in that Appendix.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 20, 2011
                        >>> I am trying to discover data about my Grandfather, Jacob Soltis (Jakob Saltes) from Felso Lapos, (Austria?, Poland?, Slovaka?, Hungary?, or Czech Republic?). <<<

                        It is best not to hijack an unrelated thread. The answers become co-mingled.

                        See the 1910 map at http://lazarus.elte.hu/hun/maps/1910/szepes.jpg
                        The village is in the upper left corner.

                        On a current map, the small village is mapped as Lapsze Wyzne, Poland.

                        The 1869 Hungarian Census for the village is available for ordering (online) and viewing at your nearest LDS Family History Center (FHC).
                        Felsõ-Laps (Vyšné Lapše) Film #2151177 Item 2.

                        Good luck.
                      • Frank R Plichta
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 20, 2011
                          John,

                          Frantis^ek Hrus^ovsky', historian, b. 7.9.1903 Dolne' Lovc^ice, d.
                          09.09.1956 Cleveland, PA, USA. Article is approximately 12 column inches on
                          parts of two pages.

                          Igor Hrus^ovsky', philosopher, b. 14.4.1907 Ba'novce nad Bebravou, d.
                          18.7.1978 Bratislava. 15 column inches on one page.

                          Jan Hrus^ovsky', writer & journalist, b. 4.2.1892 Nove' Mesto nad Va'hom, d.
                          7.3.1975 Bratislava. 16 column inches on two pages.

                          If you would like photocopies of the pages please send a #10 self addressed
                          stamped envelope and I will mail you copies.

                          Frank R. Plichta
                          103 Prospect Avenue
                          Galax, VA 24333-3315.

                          frank.r.plichta@...> wrote:

                          > You might try the “Slovak Biographical Dictionary” published by Matica
                          > slovenská in cooperation with Bolchazy-Carducci Publishers, Inc., 1000
                          > Brown
                          > Street, Unit 101, Wanconda, IL 60084, USA
                          >
                          > The book is published in English and contains the biographical information
                          > for approximately 800 significant Slovaks throughout history. 417 pages.
                          > First English Edition 2002.
                          >
                          > I would be pleased to look up any surname you are interested in to see if
                          > someone with that name is listed.
                          >
                          > Frank
                        • Wendy Erickson
                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 21, 2011
                            Hi,
                            In researching our family name (Schwabik) I have seen many entries with the name Soltys or Soltis in various Church records. Since families did move around, I suggest you check the LDS library catalog and search for: Hungary, Szepes, Igló and you will find the records I used in my research.
                            Cirkevná matrika, 1626-1895 Rímsko-katolícka cirkev. Farský úrad Spišská Nová Ves (Ves Spišská Nová) and Cirkevná matrika, 1756-1895 Evanjelická cirkev. Farský úrad Spišská Nová Ves (Spišská Nová Ves)

                            I have several of these films saved at the Emerson NJ LDS center- if you are local you can stop by and use them.

                            The reason I remember the Soltys name is that there always seemed to be a Soltys birth or death- I remember remarking to my Cousin while doing our research "These folks must have owned the town!"

                            Kind regards,
                            -Wendy
                            our website is: schwabik dot com
                          • Wendy Erickson
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 21, 2011
                              The search string is:

                              Hungary, Szepes, Iglo - sorry the paste from the LDS website did not translate.
                            • John
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 21, 2011
                                The Soltes village in question is half the country north, now in Poland. Searching (only) on a surname is a lost cause. The village name and religion are mandatory for useful results.