Route of travel to the USA

  • Ginger
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
      Can anyone give me their opinions on what route was the most used or
      the most logical for immigrating to the USA from Eastern Slovakia?
      Ginger
    • Andrea Vangor
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
        Hi, Ginger -- I see you found one of the e-lists I would have suggested!
        Most of our people left via Bremen and Hamburg, both in Germany. A few
        departed via ports on the Adriatic.

        There is an index, complete as far as I know, for passengers from Hamburg
        that covers the time span you will need. Part of it is posted on the
        Internet, but you can get all the microfilms from the Family History
        Library.

      • Fillmanshome@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
          Shipping lines have old mapps of what routes were taken during different
          periods of time. Also the web site at Bremen, Germany may have some info.

        • Frank Kurchina
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 5, 2001
            --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@egroups.com, "Ginger " <gkopka1@a...> wrote:
            > Can anyone give me their opinions on what route was the most used or
            > the most logical for immigrating to the USA from Eastern Slovakia?
            > Ginger

            Depends upon during what time period you mean ?

            Pre-WW I, or after the creation of the new country called
            Czechoslovakia (1920)

            The pre-WWI figures by year for immigration to USA from
            Hungary (which included Slovakia) by European ports of exit
            are listed below.

            Migration from Hungary to the USA By European ports
            =>
            http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g024.htm

            Many Hungarians who immigrated to the U.S. prior to W W I came
            from the northern part of old Hungary, i.e. Upper-Hungary/ Slovakia.
            The major emigration started about 1870 and ended about 1910.

            There were three main ports of embarkation for Czechs and Slovaks:
            Bremen, Hamburg and Antwerp. Or they may have sailed from Rotterdam
            or LeHavre.
            However, the majority came through Hamburg (Germany) and these ship
            passenger lists should be searched first.

            Map below shows the extent of Hungarian territory by Megye (counties)
            =>
            http://www.bogardi.com/gen/g044.htm

            Hungary has a diverse political history and its boundaries have
            changed many times.
            Following W War I, Hungary's territory was reduced to one-third of
            its pre-war geographical area.
            Some territories were allotted to the Austrian area of Burgenland,
            to Romania and to the former countries of Czechoslovakia and
            Yugoslavia.

            In 1920, a newly-formed country of Czechoslovakia was created from
            the Austrian Krönelands (Bohemia, Moravia and Austrian-Silesia) and
            a portion of Upper-Hungary (Slovakia and Karpatho-Ukraine)

            Frank Kurcina