Re: [S-R] My Czech roots

  • Julie Michutka
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
      On Mar 11, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Dana wrote:

      > Hello everyone. I am new to the group and I am at a dead end in my
      > search. My great great grandfather was HYENK KLAS. He came here in
      > 1913. I have not been able to find any record of his travels I was
      > able to find a ship record of His Wife MARIE (sometimes listed as
      > MARY) KLAS coming over with 2 children. The records I have found
      > have so many places of birth listed for HYNEK. I have found on cenus
      > records saying BOHEMIA, a naturalization record saying Austria, and
      > a death record saying KRAJ PLZEN. I have no way of finding anymore
      > abt them they had one son but he didnt have any children that I can
      > find. I also found that HYNEK had a brother ADOLF KLAS. ADOLF owned
      > the Klas restaurant in Cicero, Illinois. when I found out abt the
      > restaurant I googled it just hoping that it might still be open.
      > Well to my surprise it was and a very famous Czech restaurant. So I
      > picked up the phone and called, just to see if it was still in the
      > family, but yet another dead end. Adolfs children so
      > ld it after his death. I dont want to bore anyone with all the
      > details of my search but if anyone has an idea of where i should
      > start next would be great. Thanks in advance -Dana

      Hi Dana,

      You have more people and more documents you can search.

      For Hyenk:
      do you have all his naturalization papers
      if he naturalized after 1940, check for alien registration records;
      ditto for his wife
      what about his wife's death record?
      did his wife have siblings or cousins in the US?
      WW I draft registration for Hyenk; possible "old men's" registration
      for WWII

      For each of the children who came with Marie:
      their marriage and death records (might give place of birth), both
      civil & church records
      obituaries
      given their likely ages, if male, they might have missed both drafts,
      but check anyway
      were they listed as children on Hyenk's naturalization papers, or did
      they go thru the process on their own as adults?

      For Adolf:
      check for naturalization papers (check census to see if he was
      naturalized), alien registration records, possible marriage records,
      death record, obit, cemetery record
      draft records
      obit
      were his kids born abroad or in the US? see records for Hyenk's kids
      above
      if his restaurant was famous, there were probably occasional newspaper
      articles about it, esp when he died and again when the kids sold it;
      you might be lucky enough to find copies of local newspapers online
      if Adolf married before immigration, he might have married his
      hometown sweetie; check the same records mentioned above for her, to
      see if you can find a clear cut town of origin, and then search that
      town for your own family.

      Good luck!

      Julie Michutka
      jmm@...