My Czech roots

  • Dana
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
      Hello everyone. I am new to the group and I am at a dead end in my search. My great great grandfather was HYENK KLAS. He came here in 1913. I have not been able to find any record of his travels I was able to find a ship record of His Wife MARIE (sometimes listed as MARY) KLAS coming over with 2 children. The records I have found have so many places of birth listed for HYNEK. I have found on cenus records saying BOHEMIA, a naturalization record saying Austria, and a death record saying KRAJ PLZEN. I have no way of finding anymore abt them they had one son but he didnt have any children that I can find. I also found that HYNEK had a brother ADOLF KLAS. ADOLF owned the Klas restaurant in Cicero, Illinois. when I found out abt the restaurant I googled it just hoping that it might still be open. Well to my surprise it was and a very famous Czech restaurant. So I picked up the phone and called, just to see if it was still in the family, but yet another dead end. Adolfs children sold it after his death. I dont want to bore anyone with all the details of my search but if anyone has an idea of where i should start next would be great. Thanks in advance -Dana
    • n8de@thepoint.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
        Reply inserted below:

        Quoting Dana <dgwens@...>:

        > Hello everyone. I am new to the group and I am at a dead end in my
        > search. My great great grandfather was HYENK KLAS. He came here in
        > 1913. I have not been able to find any record of his travels I was
        > able to find a ship record of His Wife MARIE (sometimes listed as
        > MARY) KLAS coming over with 2 children. The records I have found
        > have so many places of birth listed for HYNEK. I have found on cenus
        > records saying BOHEMIA,
        a naturalization record saying Austria,
        > and a death record saying KRAJ PLZEN.
        BOHEMIA is an 'area' of the Czech Republic (almost a 'state-like' area).
        Austria is the COUNTRY that 'controlled' what is now the Czech
        Republic when most of our ancestors migrated here.
        KRAJ is 'county' ... PLZEN is in Southern Czech Republic.

        Those terms do NOT contradict.

        Good luck!
        Don Havlicek

        I have no way of finding anymore
        > abt them they had one son but he didnt have any children that I can
        > find. I also found that HYNEK had a brother ADOLF KLAS. ADOLF owned
        > the Klas restaurant in Cicero, Illinois. when I found out abt the
        > restaurant I googled it just hoping that it might still be open.
        > Well to my surprise it was and a very famous Czech restaurant. So I
        > picked up the phone and called, just to see if it was still in the
        > family, but yet another dead end. Adolfs children sold it after his
        > death. I dont want to bore anyone with all the details of my search
        > but if anyone has an idea of where i should start next would be
        > great. Thanks in advance -Dana

      • helene cincebeaux
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
          hi Dana -

          Kraj Plzen means the region around a lovely city called Plzen -famous for its
          beer and its wonderful old square and ancient

          St. Bartholemew Church and buildings with glorious mosaics covering the front
          facades. (Plzen is about an hour southwest of Prague).

          Why don't you check out the Czech & Slovak Genealogical and Cultural Society
          International at www.cgsi.org - lots of good info on Bohemia there and there are
          data bases too. They are beginning to put those on line.

          They publish a quarrterly and also have info on Slovakia and queries and
          upcoming events. There will be a super conference in St. Louis in late October -
          these are lots of fun and a great opportunity to learn more about your roots and
          your heritage! e mail me if you would like more info - helenezx@...

          Good luck

          helene

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
            Dana, have you checked the resources of the Nemecek Library maintained by the
            Czech and Slovak American Genealogical Society of Illinois?  It is only a few
            blocks from the Klas Restaurant -- and it will be open tomorrow from 10 a.m. to
            2 p.m.  5901 West 22nd Place, Cicero.  Staff will be available to assist you in
            your research.

            I had dinner at Klas Restaurant last Sunday.  Interesting decor.  The kapusta,
            zemiaky, and kolach were particularly tasty.

            Margo

            ________________________________
            > Hello everyone. I am new to the group and I am at a dead end in my
            > search. My great great grandfather was HYENK KLAS. He came here in
            > 1913. I have not been able to find any record of his travels I was
            > able to find a ship record of His Wife MARIE (sometimes listed as
            > MARY) KLAS coming over with 2 children. The records I have found
            > have so many places of birth listed for HYNEK. I have found on cenus
            > records saying BOHEMIA,
            a naturalization record saying Austria,
            > and a death record saying KRAJ PLZEN.
            BOHEMIA is an 'area' of the Czech Republic (almost a 'state-like' area).
            Austria is the COUNTRY that 'controlled' what is now the Czech
            Republic when most of our ancestors migrated here.
            KRAJ is 'county' ... PLZEN is in Southern Czech Republic.

            Those terms do NOT contradict.

            Good luck!
            Don Havlicek

            I have no way of finding anymore
            > abt them they had one son but he didnt have any children that I can
            > find. I also found that HYNEK had a brother ADOLF KLAS. ADOLF owned
            > the Klas restaurant in Cicero, Illinois. when I found out abt the
            > restaurant I googled it just hoping that it might still be open.
            > Well to my surprise it was and a very famous Czech restaurant. So I
            > picked up the phone and called, just to see if it was still in the
            > family, but yet another dead end. Adolfs children sold it after his
            > death. I dont want to bore anyone with all the details of my search
            > but if anyone has an idea of where i should start next would be
            > great. Thanks in advance -Dana

          • Mary Jaros
            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
              Hello Dana
              Since you are interested in Klas, you might want to check out our CSAGSI website
              as well; if you review our Koreny journal, http://csagsi.org/, you will see that
              there is an article about the history of the restaurant.  It is open and it is
              not a dead end for you; it just isn't open everyday.  I know the owner, Frank,
              and would be willing to get you in touch with him if you would like.  You might
              also find some genealogy info for your family through our CSAGSI library.  I am
              the Education chair; why don't you share your contact info with me and I can
              assist you.  Are you in the Chicago area?

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
                Yes, Margo and I are also the publication cochairs; this is the same
                library/restaurant I referred to in my other email.

                ________________________________

                > Hello everyone. I am new to the group and I am at a dead end in my
                > search. My great great grandfather was HYENK KLAS. He came here in
                > 1913. I have not been able to find any record of his travels I was
                > able to find a ship record of His Wife MARIE (sometimes listed as
                > MARY) KLAS coming over with 2 children. The records I have found
                > have so many places of birth listed for HYNEK. I have found on cenus
                > records saying BOHEMIA,
                a naturalization record saying Austria,
                > and a death record saying KRAJ PLZEN.
                BOHEMIA is an 'area' of the Czech Republic (almost a 'state-like' area).
                Austria is the COUNTRY that 'controlled' what is now the Czech
                Republic when most of our ancestors migrated here.
                KRAJ is 'county' ... PLZEN is in Southern Czech Republic.

                Those terms do NOT contradict.

                Good luck!
                Don Havlicek

                I have no way of finding anymore
                > abt them they had one son but he didnt have any children that I can
                > find. I also found that HYNEK had a brother ADOLF KLAS. ADOLF owned
                > the Klas restaurant in Cicero, Illinois. when I found out abt the
                > restaurant I googled it just hoping that it might still be open.
                > Well to my surprise it was and a very famous Czech restaurant. So I
                > picked up the phone and called, just to see if it was still in the
                > family, but yet another dead end. Adolfs children sold it after his
                > death. I dont want to bore anyone with all the details of my search
                > but if anyone has an idea of where i should start next would be
                > great. Thanks in advance -Dana

              • Julie Michutka
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 11, 2011
                  On Mar 11, 2011, at 9:17 AM, Dana wrote:

                  > Hello everyone. I am new to the group and I am at a dead end in my
                  > search. My great great grandfather was HYENK KLAS. He came here in
                  > 1913. I have not been able to find any record of his travels I was
                  > able to find a ship record of His Wife MARIE (sometimes listed as
                  > MARY) KLAS coming over with 2 children. The records I have found
                  > have so many places of birth listed for HYNEK. I have found on cenus
                  > records saying BOHEMIA, a naturalization record saying Austria, and
                  > a death record saying KRAJ PLZEN. I have no way of finding anymore
                  > abt them they had one son but he didnt have any children that I can
                  > find. I also found that HYNEK had a brother ADOLF KLAS. ADOLF owned
                  > the Klas restaurant in Cicero, Illinois. when I found out abt the
                  > restaurant I googled it just hoping that it might still be open.
                  > Well to my surprise it was and a very famous Czech restaurant. So I
                  > picked up the phone and called, just to see if it was still in the
                  > family, but yet another dead end. Adolfs children so
                  > ld it after his death. I dont want to bore anyone with all the
                  > details of my search but if anyone has an idea of where i should
                  > start next would be great. Thanks in advance -Dana

                  Hi Dana,

                  You have more people and more documents you can search.

                  For Hyenk:
                  do you have all his naturalization papers
                  if he naturalized after 1940, check for alien registration records;
                  ditto for his wife
                  what about his wife's death record?
                  did his wife have siblings or cousins in the US?
                  WW I draft registration for Hyenk; possible "old men's" registration
                  for WWII

                  For each of the children who came with Marie:
                  their marriage and death records (might give place of birth), both
                  civil & church records
                  obituaries
                  given their likely ages, if male, they might have missed both drafts,
                  but check anyway
                  were they listed as children on Hyenk's naturalization papers, or did
                  they go thru the process on their own as adults?

                  For Adolf:
                  check for naturalization papers (check census to see if he was
                  naturalized), alien registration records, possible marriage records,
                  death record, obit, cemetery record
                  draft records
                  obit
                  were his kids born abroad or in the US? see records for Hyenk's kids
                  above
                  if his restaurant was famous, there were probably occasional newspaper
                  articles about it, esp when he died and again when the kids sold it;
                  you might be lucky enough to find copies of local newspapers online
                  if Adolf married before immigration, he might have married his
                  hometown sweetie; check the same records mentioned above for her, to
                  see if you can find a clear cut town of origin, and then search that
                  town for your own family.

                  Good luck!

                  Julie Michutka
                  jmm@...