Re: [SLOVAK-ROOTS] Re: Passport and ship name

  • Barbara Keryan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
      Greg

      Thanks for that little bit of history. I am sure that many of our
      ancestors used Missler, I know that one of mine did.

      Barb

    • Gregory J. Kopchak
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 4, 2001
        It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
        to America took place.

        Your family was very late in the immigration curve.

        I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
        at what was offered to late arrivers.

        Greg Kopchak

        > for an 100 year old "Passage to America" ad and links
        > to the Emigration Law of 1903 to see what
        > your ancestors were up against.
        >
        > In 1903 it became illegal to display or discuss in
        > public the ad shown on the page. Interesting piece of
        > Immigration history.
        >
        > Greg Kopchak
        > It's All Relative

        Your ad in article was from the Pecirkuv Narodni kalendar - 1900,
        published in Prague.
        It was featured on the back page of the almanac and calendar.
        F. Missler of Bremen made an offer of passage to America, Africa, and
        Australia from the Port of Bremen, Germany.
        The ad, in Czech, was targeted for the Czech and Slovak people.

        Your Slovakia site offers the Hungarian Emigration Law 1903 in
        detail at URL.

        http://www.iarelative.com/hung1903/index.html

        However, none of this was applicable in 1929 when this subcriber's
        relative emigrated.
        The new country of Czechoslovakia was created in 1920.
        There was no longer a Upper-Hungary, nor an Austro-Hungarian
        Monarchy (1867-1918)
      • Frank Kurchina
        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 5, 2001
          wrote:
          > It was in the period of 1890 to 1910 most immigration
          > to America took place.
          >
          > Your family was very late in the immigration curve.
          >
          > I have the 1929 almanac and will have to take a look
          > at what was offered to late arrivers.
          >
          > Greg Kopchak

          Don't know if above is a reference to my surname, or to that of
          subscriber who posted this query ?

          My first parental surname and male maternal surname bearer
          arrived in US (together) in 1896 via Antwerp, Belgium and both
          returned to Upper-Hungary (then Slovakia) by 1900.

          My own parental GPs arrive in 1900.
          Many parental surname bearers came later to US and but most returned
          to Upper-Hungary, except those that emigrated to Canada.

          Frank Kurcina