membership

  • michael g
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
      I've been a member of SR since 2001. Although I'm not as involved as some members, I read all the emails and track advances in ancestral research technology. My parents -- and their parents -- were raised in Upor, a small village south of Trebisov. Through SR advisories I've tracked cousins on my mother's side who live in Trebisov. I've met my 2nd(?) cousin, the granddaughter of my father's sister.
      I' ve visited Upor and met other relatives, although the language barrier made it difficult to understand their exact relationship to me and I am researching that relationship. I had hoped to do some research at the Greek Catholic church in Upor, but the building was locked and there was no one in the parish house. I was unable to return because my trip was ending,
      I grew up in Pittsburgh and attended St. John Chrysostom GC church in Ruska Dolina.
      I would think my history speaks for itself and any suggestion that I might be a spammer is ludicrous.
      Michael Koschik
      Chicago
    • Michael Mojher
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
        Michael,
        I looked into the Greek Catholic Church in Slovakia. Within the diocese of Kosice there are six divisions. One such is Trebisov. Protopresbyter: o. Mgr. Dušan Seman. Address: M.R.Štefánika 49, 075 01 Trebišov. Telephone: 056/668-3420 Email: trebisov.grkat@...
        Your ancestral village of Upor and the nearby village of Zemplinsky Klecenov have both been have been combined to createZemplinska Nova Ves. Even on my modern road map it still shows both villages with their names, but in bigger letters in between is written Zemplinska Nova Ves. http://www.zemplinskanovaves.ocu.sk – the village website.
        With the e-mail address for head of the Greek Catholic parish in Trebisov and the one for Zemplinska Nova Ves, you might discover where the Greek Catholic records are kept.
        It so happened that my cousin was the head of the Roman Catholic cathedral in Trebisov. Next door was the Greek Catholic church. On a visit with my cousin he introduced me to Mgr. Dusan Seman. He considered Dusan to be a very good friend.

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
          Hello
          I'm new here in this site,,
          I'm looking for a place called Rudannie CZ.
          Do you have any idea where this place is?
          also
          Lotterbach, Austria.
          The last is on Declaration of Intention for my  husbands grandparents. and the
          first is on a Descendants chart done for family..any help is appraciateed.
           Thanks
           Joy Uhrin

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
            hi Joy -

            it's now called Rudnany in the Spis region and likely the other was Koterbachy
            which was an earlier name for Rudnany.

            Good luck in your search - i have two people listing your surname and Rudnany
            village in the Slovak Pride data base - e mail me directly if you want more
            info.

            helene
            helenezx@...

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
              It's best NOT to hijack someone else's thread. The replies get co-mingled and confusing.

              >>> I'm looking for a place called Rudannie CZ. Do you have any idea where this place is? <<<

              Rudnany, Slovakia is southeast of Spisska Nova Ves.

              >>> also Lotterbach, Austria. <<<

              Kotterbach is the old name for Rudnany.

              OLD NAMES of the village(town):
              1863â€"1902 Kotterbach, 1907â€"1913 Ötösbánya, 1920â€"1948 Koterbachy, 1948â€" Rudňany

              CURRENT MAP
              To locate places in Europe, especially if you are not sure of the proper spelling of the place name, the best reference is found at http://www.jewishgen.org/ShtetlSeeker/loctown.htm

            • Joy Uhrin
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
                SO SORRY ABOUT THIS I MEANT NO HARM. PLEASE EXCUSE ME FOR IT.
                 JOY..
                These came across my email so I thought it was ok..
                oh Thanks for this info you  gave me.

                ________________________________

              • mkoschik@aol.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
                  Thanks, Michael M.
                  Michael G

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 8, 2011
                    So, I'm a bit hesitant to jump into these conversations as I am also new to the group. Never quite sure what has been covered and what hasn't, or whether my thoughts are of any help. But here goes:

                    The Family History Library has a wonderful collection of church records on microfilm from Slovakia. Some have been digitized for browsing online and some have not. A quick search in the Family History Library Catalog online indicates that for the area of Trebisov they have Roman Catholic records for 1704-1895, Greek Catholic records for 1775-1924, and Reformed Church records for 1878-1899.

                    The GC records are on four different microfilms. You can see the details at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titlefilmnotes&columns=*%2C0%2C0&titleno=755030&disp=Cirkevn%C3%A1+matrika++

                    If you search that catalog for the village name as part of Slovakia, you may find other areas that are related. I would advise using the old familysearch.org catalog, not the new one for this effort.

                    Peg