RE: [S-R] Goulick

  • Julie Mark
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
      Gina - your grandfather's surname was Metro??? You are the first and only
      person I've found who is also searching this name. My great-grandfather was
      Andrew Metro of Johnstown, PA. Where in PA do you live? Can you tell me
      more about your Metro's? the best I can gather, mine was from Drienovska
      Nova Ves. He came here in the very early 1900s.

      Julie

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
        >>> I have thought about the closeness of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<

        The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the connection you have to make. Surname means very little.
      • Gina
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
          Julie,

          I'm sorry--Drozdak was my grandfather's surname. Metro was his first name
          (actually, Dimitry) and he came from Bogusza in 1895. I'm not very close to
          Johnstown--I am in eastern PA. However, many Rusyns in eastern PA were
          miners and traveled to different parts of PA for work. However, because I
          have heard the surname 'Metro' in my area, I looked in my Carbon and
          Schuylkill County phone books and found 3 listed. One is in the town of
          Lansford and 2 in the town of Lehighton. If you'd like the first names and
          phone numbers of these Metros, you can write to me personally. Sometimes a
          phone call is worth it!
          Good luck,
          Gina

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
            Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
            Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

            I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
            Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
            understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
            grandparents came from.

            I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
            that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
            have famous ancestors!

            Thank you,
            Gina

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
              Gina

               I saw Polany on the map and it's almost on the Slovakian border.

               I would think it's possible that there could be a connection to Andy Warhol...

               The area that is across the border in Slovakia also looks to be in the Presov region. The Presov region records are what's currently online at the LDS site...   so it might be worth checking that.

               I don't care for Andy Warhol's work but I do recognize him as being one of the great artists of our time.He used an assembly line method to mass produce his work, which is genius in itself.

               I think it would be great to have him in your tree.

               Don't give up yet.

              Larry----- Original Message -----
              Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
              Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

              I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
              Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
              understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
              grandparents came from.

              I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
              that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
              have famous ancestors!

              Thank you,
              Gina

              > Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<
              >
              > The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the
              > connection you have to make. Surname means very little.

              --

              The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
              who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
              adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
              click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
              http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

              --
              I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

            • Frank R Plichta
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                Gina,

                Every ancestor is famous. After all they caused you to be here today.
                Frank

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                  >>> Volica, which I understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal grandparents came from. <<<

                  Medzilaborce is the location of the Warhol Museum -- as well as Pit. http://www.andywarhol.sk/
                • laffingdukk
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 6, 2011
                    I am almost positive i've seen that name in my research...I have a very good visual memory...just can't remember which resource I saw the name in. I am thinking there was an alternate spelling spelling like Gulic or Gulich even Kulic...hope this helps, and I will keep my eyes open should I come across the name again. I am thinking I saw it on a census form or ship manifest near one of my ancestors...the most common name being Bezilla or Bezila.

                    this is pretty random info but you never know what will provide another lead. good luck
                    dina