Re: [S-R] Goulick

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
      Gina

       Andy Warhol[a] has roots in the Pittsburgh area if that helps, and he speaks of his Slovak ancestry.
      Larry----- Original Message -----
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
        Gina - your grandfather's surname was Metro??? You are the first and only
        person I've found who is also searching this name. My great-grandfather was
        Andrew Metro of Johnstown, PA. Where in PA do you live? Can you tell me
        more about your Metro's? the best I can gather, mine was from Drienovska
        Nova Ves. He came here in the very early 1900s.

        Julie

        --

        The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
        who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
        adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
        click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
        http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

        --
        I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

      • John
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
          >>> I have thought about the closeness of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<

          The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the connection you have to make. Surname means very little.
        • Gina
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
            Julie,

            I'm sorry--Drozdak was my grandfather's surname. Metro was his first name
            (actually, Dimitry) and he came from Bogusza in 1895. I'm not very close to
            Johnstown--I am in eastern PA. However, many Rusyns in eastern PA were
            miners and traveled to different parts of PA for work. However, because I
            have heard the surname 'Metro' in my area, I looked in my Carbon and
            Schuylkill County phone books and found 3 listed. One is in the town of
            Lansford and 2 in the town of Lehighton. If you'd like the first names and
            phone numbers of these Metros, you can write to me personally. Sometimes a
            phone call is worth it!
            Good luck,
            Gina

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
              Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
              Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

              I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
              Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
              understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
              grandparents came from.

              I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
              that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
              have famous ancestors!

              Thank you,
              Gina

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                Gina

                 I saw Polany on the map and it's almost on the Slovakian border.

                 I would think it's possible that there could be a connection to Andy Warhol...

                 The area that is across the border in Slovakia also looks to be in the Presov region. The Presov region records are what's currently online at the LDS site...   so it might be worth checking that.

                 I don't care for Andy Warhol's work but I do recognize him as being one of the great artists of our time.He used an assembly line method to mass produce his work, which is genius in itself.

                 I think it would be great to have him in your tree.

                 Don't give up yet.

                Larry----- Original Message -----
                Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                grandparents came from.

                I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                have famous ancestors!

                Thank you,
                Gina

                > Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<
                >
                > The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the
                > connection you have to make. Surname means very little.

                --

                The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                --
                I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

              • Frank R Plichta
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Gina,

                  Every ancestor is famous. After all they caused you to be here today.
                  Frank

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                    >>> Volica, which I understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal grandparents came from. <<<

                    Medzilaborce is the location of the Warhol Museum -- as well as Pit. http://www.andywarhol.sk/
                  • laffingdukk
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 6, 2011
                      I am almost positive i've seen that name in my research...I have a very good visual memory...just can't remember which resource I saw the name in. I am thinking there was an alternate spelling spelling like Gulic or Gulich even Kulic...hope this helps, and I will keep my eyes open should I come across the name again. I am thinking I saw it on a census form or ship manifest near one of my ancestors...the most common name being Bezilla or Bezila.

                      this is pretty random info but you never know what will provide another lead. good luck
                      dina