Re: [S-R] Goulick

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
      Lubos

       Thank you.

       There being no "W" in Slovak would account for the name Vlk. My understanding is it is derived from wolf. And isn't Valla and Vallachovic from the name of the sheep that I won't attempt to spell but starts with "W" and looks close to Vallachovic.

        I love the challenging puzzle of name origins and meanings. It sometimes leads to an understanding of why most of us find so many variations in spellings of our surnames. It also, at times, seems to have no logic when we don't understand the dynamics of the times our ancestors were part of. What I mean by that is; sitting at a computor in the 21st century, trying to figure why our ancestors did certain things that seem odd to us, can be fruitless .

      Thank you Lubos

      Larry
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
        Larry and Lobos,

        Now I understand why I have seen my grandmother's name spelled Varholak in
        some cases and Warholak in others!

        Thanks,
        Gina

        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
          Gina

           Andy Warhol[a] has roots in the Pittsburgh area if that helps, and he speaks of his Slovak ancestry.
          Larry----- Original Message -----
          Thank you Larry. I do know both of their ancestral villages. I have not
          searched Steve Morse's site to try to locate their arrival, but I will now!
          Hopefully I may finally have some luck. I have thought about the closeness
          of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. It would be
          incredibly awesome to learn that he is a relative! But I'm sure the odds are
          remote.

          Thanks again,
          Gina

          On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM, <lkocik@...> wrote:

          > Gina
          >
          >  If you know your grandfathers ancestral villiage/city you could use  the
          > Steve morse site and do a general search for all the emmigrants. That way
          > you'll cover all the spelling variations, or at least the ones used for
          > emmigration. Of course it could have changed being processed through the
          > port of immigration or even boarding the ship in Europe. At the least you
          > might find some other spelling variations to research.
          >
          >  Your Grammas' name is interesting. The name Warhola has been mentioned in
          > old posts on this site. I'm sure you know Andy Warhol, the artist, is a
          > Warhola. The prefix ak is a diminutive that would describe Warhol, and the
          > "a"  could be a prefix denoting a female, as in the prefix sky;masculine and
          > the ska; feminine. ..but a name ending in "l" I would think would have an
          > "ova" to designate the feminine. This last paragraph is mosttly my own
          > opininion based very loosely on what I know of prefixes and I only mention
          > it to give you other possible spellings to research. Sometimes there seems
          > to be no reasoning for spellings when we try to use our 20th century
          > American way of thinking.
          >
          > Larry----- Original Message -----

        • Julie Mark
          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
            Gina - your grandfather's surname was Metro??? You are the first and only
            person I've found who is also searching this name. My great-grandfather was
            Andrew Metro of Johnstown, PA. Where in PA do you live? Can you tell me
            more about your Metro's? the best I can gather, mine was from Drienovska
            Nova Ves. He came here in the very early 1900s.

            Julie

            --

            The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
            who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
            adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
            click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
            http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

            --
            I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

          • John
            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
              >>> I have thought about the closeness of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<

              The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the connection you have to make. Surname means very little.
            • Gina
              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                Julie,

                I'm sorry--Drozdak was my grandfather's surname. Metro was his first name
                (actually, Dimitry) and he came from Bogusza in 1895. I'm not very close to
                Johnstown--I am in eastern PA. However, many Rusyns in eastern PA were
                miners and traveled to different parts of PA for work. However, because I
                have heard the surname 'Metro' in my area, I looked in my Carbon and
                Schuylkill County phone books and found 3 listed. One is in the town of
                Lansford and 2 in the town of Lehighton. If you'd like the first names and
                phone numbers of these Metros, you can write to me personally. Sometimes a
                phone call is worth it!
                Good luck,
                Gina

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                  Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                  Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                  I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                  Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                  understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                  grandparents came from.

                  I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                  that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                  have famous ancestors!

                  Thank you,
                  Gina

                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                    Gina

                     I saw Polany on the map and it's almost on the Slovakian border.

                     I would think it's possible that there could be a connection to Andy Warhol...

                     The area that is across the border in Slovakia also looks to be in the Presov region. The Presov region records are what's currently online at the LDS site...   so it might be worth checking that.

                     I don't care for Andy Warhol's work but I do recognize him as being one of the great artists of our time.He used an assembly line method to mass produce his work, which is genius in itself.

                     I think it would be great to have him in your tree.

                     Don't give up yet.

                    Larry----- Original Message -----
                    Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                    Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                    I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                    Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                    understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                    grandparents came from.

                    I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                    that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                    have famous ancestors!

                    Thank you,
                    Gina

                    > Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<
                    >
                    > The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the
                    > connection you have to make. Surname means very little.

                    --

                    The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                    who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                    adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                    click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                    --
                    I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

                  • Frank R Plichta
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                      Gina,

                      Every ancestor is famous. After all they caused you to be here today.
                      Frank

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                        >>> Volica, which I understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal grandparents came from. <<<

                        Medzilaborce is the location of the Warhol Museum -- as well as Pit. http://www.andywarhol.sk/
                      • laffingdukk
                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 6, 2011
                          I am almost positive i've seen that name in my research...I have a very good visual memory...just can't remember which resource I saw the name in. I am thinking there was an alternate spelling spelling like Gulic or Gulich even Kulic...hope this helps, and I will keep my eyes open should I come across the name again. I am thinking I saw it on a census form or ship manifest near one of my ancestors...the most common name being Bezilla or Bezila.

                          this is pretty random info but you never know what will provide another lead. good luck
                          dina