Re: [S-R] Goulick

  • lkocik@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
      Gina

       If you know your grandfathers ancestral villiage/city you could use  the Steve morse site and do a general search for all the emmigrants. That way you'll cover all the spelling variations, or at least the ones used for emmigration. Of course it could have changed being processed through the port of immigration or even boarding the ship in Europe. At the least you might find some other spelling variations to research.

       Your Grammas' name is interesting. The name Warhola has been mentioned in old posts on this site. I'm sure you know Andy Warhol, the artist, is a Warhola. The prefix ak is a diminutive that would describe Warhol, and the "a"  could be a prefix denoting a female, as in the prefix sky;masculine and the ska; feminine. ..but a name ending in "l" I would think would have an "ova" to designate the feminine. This last paragraph is mosttly my own opininion based very loosely on what I know of prefixes and I only mention it to give you other possible spellings to research. Sometimes there seems to be no reasoning for spellings when we try to use our 20th century American way of thinking.

      Larry----- Original Message -----
      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
        Yup Larry, the female version of Warhola would be Warholakova. One note, the
        letter "w" is not found in Slovak alphabet, except for foreign words. On the
        other hand, given my limited knowledge of Polish, it seems that in Polish there
        in no "v", and there is only "w". This could be a recent change.
        -- Lubos Brieda --

        Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

        ________________________________

        --

        The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
        who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
        adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
        click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
        http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

        --
        I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

      • Gina
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
          Thank you Larry. I do know both of their ancestral villages. I have not
          searched Steve Morse's site to try to locate their arrival, but I will now!
          Hopefully I may finally have some luck. I have thought about the closeness
          of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. It would be
          incredibly awesome to learn that he is a relative! But I'm sure the odds are
          remote.

          Thanks again,
          Gina

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
            Lubos

             Thank you.

             There being no "W" in Slovak would account for the name Vlk. My understanding is it is derived from wolf. And isn't Valla and Vallachovic from the name of the sheep that I won't attempt to spell but starts with "W" and looks close to Vallachovic.

              I love the challenging puzzle of name origins and meanings. It sometimes leads to an understanding of why most of us find so many variations in spellings of our surnames. It also, at times, seems to have no logic when we don't understand the dynamics of the times our ancestors were part of. What I mean by that is; sitting at a computor in the 21st century, trying to figure why our ancestors did certain things that seem odd to us, can be fruitless .

            Thank you Lubos

            Larry

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
              Larry and Lobos,

              Now I understand why I have seen my grandmother's name spelled Varholak in
              some cases and Warholak in others!

              Thanks,
              Gina

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
                Gina

                 Andy Warhol[a] has roots in the Pittsburgh area if that helps, and he speaks of his Slovak ancestry.
                Larry----- Original Message -----
                Thank you Larry. I do know both of their ancestral villages. I have not
                searched Steve Morse's site to try to locate their arrival, but I will now!
                Hopefully I may finally have some luck. I have thought about the closeness
                of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. It would be
                incredibly awesome to learn that he is a relative! But I'm sure the odds are
                remote.

                Thanks again,
                Gina

                On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM, <lkocik@...> wrote:

                > Gina
                >
                >  If you know your grandfathers ancestral villiage/city you could use  the
                > Steve morse site and do a general search for all the emmigrants. That way
                > you'll cover all the spelling variations, or at least the ones used for
                > emmigration. Of course it could have changed being processed through the
                > port of immigration or even boarding the ship in Europe. At the least you
                > might find some other spelling variations to research.
                >
                >  Your Grammas' name is interesting. The name Warhola has been mentioned in
                > old posts on this site. I'm sure you know Andy Warhol, the artist, is a
                > Warhola. The prefix ak is a diminutive that would describe Warhol, and the
                > "a"  could be a prefix denoting a female, as in the prefix sky;masculine and
                > the ska; feminine. ..but a name ending in "l" I would think would have an
                > "ova" to designate the feminine. This last paragraph is mosttly my own
                > opininion based very loosely on what I know of prefixes and I only mention
                > it to give you other possible spellings to research. Sometimes there seems
                > to be no reasoning for spellings when we try to use our 20th century
                > American way of thinking.
                >
                > Larry----- Original Message -----

              • Julie Mark
                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
                  Gina - your grandfather's surname was Metro??? You are the first and only
                  person I've found who is also searching this name. My great-grandfather was
                  Andrew Metro of Johnstown, PA. Where in PA do you live? Can you tell me
                  more about your Metro's? the best I can gather, mine was from Drienovska
                  Nova Ves. He came here in the very early 1900s.

                  Julie

                  --

                  The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                  who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                  adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                  click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                  http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                  --
                  I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

                • John
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
                    >>> I have thought about the closeness of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<

                    The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the connection you have to make. Surname means very little.
                  • Gina
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                      Julie,

                      I'm sorry--Drozdak was my grandfather's surname. Metro was his first name
                      (actually, Dimitry) and he came from Bogusza in 1895. I'm not very close to
                      Johnstown--I am in eastern PA. However, many Rusyns in eastern PA were
                      miners and traveled to different parts of PA for work. However, because I
                      have heard the surname 'Metro' in my area, I looked in my Carbon and
                      Schuylkill County phone books and found 3 listed. One is in the town of
                      Lansford and 2 in the town of Lehighton. If you'd like the first names and
                      phone numbers of these Metros, you can write to me personally. Sometimes a
                      phone call is worth it!
                      Good luck,
                      Gina

                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                        Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                        Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                        I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                        Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                        understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                        grandparents came from.

                        I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                        that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                        have famous ancestors!

                        Thank you,
                        Gina

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                          Gina

                           I saw Polany on the map and it's almost on the Slovakian border.

                           I would think it's possible that there could be a connection to Andy Warhol...

                           The area that is across the border in Slovakia also looks to be in the Presov region. The Presov region records are what's currently online at the LDS site...   so it might be worth checking that.

                           I don't care for Andy Warhol's work but I do recognize him as being one of the great artists of our time.He used an assembly line method to mass produce his work, which is genius in itself.

                           I think it would be great to have him in your tree.

                           Don't give up yet.

                          Larry----- Original Message -----
                          Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                          Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                          I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                          Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                          understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                          grandparents came from.

                          I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                          that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                          have famous ancestors!

                          Thank you,
                          Gina

                          > Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<
                          >
                          > The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the
                          > connection you have to make. Surname means very little.

                          --

                          The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                          who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                          adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                          click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                          http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                          --
                          I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

                        • Frank R Plichta
                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                            Gina,

                            Every ancestor is famous. After all they caused you to be here today.
                            Frank

                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                              >>> Volica, which I understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal grandparents came from. <<<

                              Medzilaborce is the location of the Warhol Museum -- as well as Pit. http://www.andywarhol.sk/
                            • laffingdukk
                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 6, 2011
                                I am almost positive i've seen that name in my research...I have a very good visual memory...just can't remember which resource I saw the name in. I am thinking there was an alternate spelling spelling like Gulic or Gulich even Kulic...hope this helps, and I will keep my eyes open should I come across the name again. I am thinking I saw it on a census form or ship manifest near one of my ancestors...the most common name being Bezilla or Bezila.

                                this is pretty random info but you never know what will provide another lead. good luck
                                dina