Re: [S-R] Goulick

  • Gina
    Message 1 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
      Have you tried searching for 'Kulick?' I live in eastern PA and, although I
      have heard the name Gulick, there are many 'Kulicks' in this area. I learned
      that when immigrants entered their port of arrival, many Americans who were
      registering them spelled their names the way the name sounded like it would
      be spelled to them. It may be a long-shot, but I think it may be worth your
      time to check it out. It can get frustrating.....My paternal family name is
      found under 'Drosdak', 'Drozdak', 'Drozdiak', 'Drozdziak'! But even after
      learning this, I STILL haven't been able to find my grandfather Metro's
      (Dimitry) ship and arrival information. I won't even go into my
      grandmother's maiden name (Warholak) and all the different spelling
      variations I've found for her name!!

      Good luck,
      Gina

      --

      The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
      who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting

      --
      I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

      Message 2 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
        Gina

         If you know your grandfathers ancestral villiage/city you could use  the Steve morse site and do a general search for all the emmigrants. That way you'll cover all the spelling variations, or at least the ones used for emmigration. Of course it could have changed being processed through the port of immigration or even boarding the ship in Europe. At the least you might find some other spelling variations to research.

         Your Grammas' name is interesting. The name Warhola has been mentioned in old posts on this site. I'm sure you know Andy Warhol, the artist, is a Warhola. The prefix ak is a diminutive that would describe Warhol, and the "a"  could be a prefix denoting a female, as in the prefix sky;masculine and the ska; feminine. ..but a name ending in "l" I would think would have an "ova" to designate the feminine. This last paragraph is mosttly my own opininion based very loosely on what I know of prefixes and I only mention it to give you other possible spellings to research. Sometimes there seems to be no reasoning for spellings when we try to use our 20th century American way of thinking.

        Larry----- Original Message -----

        --

        The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
        who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
        adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
        click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
        http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

        --
        I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

      • Lubos Brieda
        Message 3 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
          Yup Larry, the female version of Warhola would be Warholakova. One note, the
          letter "w" is not found in Slovak alphabet, except for foreign words. On the
          other hand, given my limited knowledge of Polish, it seems that in Polish there
          in no "v", and there is only "w". This could be a recent change.
          -- Lubos Brieda --

          Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
            Thank you Larry. I do know both of their ancestral villages. I have not
            searched Steve Morse's site to try to locate their arrival, but I will now!
            Hopefully I may finally have some luck. I have thought about the closeness
            of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. It would be
            incredibly awesome to learn that he is a relative! But I'm sure the odds are
            remote.

            Thanks again,
            Gina

            Message 5 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
              Lubos

               Thank you.

               There being no "W" in Slovak would account for the name Vlk. My understanding is it is derived from wolf. And isn't Valla and Vallachovic from the name of the sheep that I won't attempt to spell but starts with "W" and looks close to Vallachovic.

                I love the challenging puzzle of name origins and meanings. It sometimes leads to an understanding of why most of us find so many variations in spellings of our surnames. It also, at times, seems to have no logic when we don't understand the dynamics of the times our ancestors were part of. What I mean by that is; sitting at a computor in the 21st century, trying to figure why our ancestors did certain things that seem odd to us, can be fruitless .

              Thank you Lubos

              Larry

              Message 6 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
                Larry and Lobos,

                Now I understand why I have seen my grandmother's name spelled Varholak in
                some cases and Warholak in others!

                Thanks,
                Gina

                Message 7 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
                  Gina

                   Andy Warhol[a] has roots in the Pittsburgh area if that helps, and he speaks of his Slovak ancestry.
                  Larry----- Original Message -----
                  Thank you Larry. I do know both of their ancestral villages. I have not
                  searched Steve Morse's site to try to locate their arrival, but I will now!
                  Hopefully I may finally have some luck. I have thought about the closeness
                  of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. It would be
                  incredibly awesome to learn that he is a relative! But I'm sure the odds are
                  remote.

                  Thanks again,
                  Gina

                  On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:15 PM, <lkocik@...> wrote:

                  > Gina
                  >
                  >  If you know your grandfathers ancestral villiage/city you could use  the
                  > Steve morse site and do a general search for all the emmigrants. That way
                  > you'll cover all the spelling variations, or at least the ones used for
                  > emmigration. Of course it could have changed being processed through the
                  > port of immigration or even boarding the ship in Europe. At the least you
                  > might find some other spelling variations to research.
                  >
                  >  Your Grammas' name is interesting. The name Warhola has been mentioned in
                  > old posts on this site. I'm sure you know Andy Warhol, the artist, is a
                  > Warhola. The prefix ak is a diminutive that would describe Warhol, and the
                  > "a"  could be a prefix denoting a female, as in the prefix sky;masculine and
                  > the ska; feminine. ..but a name ending in "l" I would think would have an
                  > "ova" to designate the feminine. This last paragraph is mosttly my own
                  > opininion based very loosely on what I know of prefixes and I only mention
                  > it to give you other possible spellings to research. Sometimes there seems
                  > to be no reasoning for spellings when we try to use our 20th century
                  > American way of thinking.
                  >
                  > Larry----- Original Message -----

                • Julie Mark
                  Message 8 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
                    Gina - your grandfather's surname was Metro??? You are the first and only
                    person I've found who is also searching this name. My great-grandfather was
                    Andrew Metro of Johnstown, PA. Where in PA do you live? Can you tell me
                    more about your Metro's? the best I can gather, mine was from Drienovska
                    Nova Ves. He came here in the very early 1900s.

                    Julie

                    --

                    The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                    who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                    adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                    click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                    http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                    --
                    I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train! ;-O

                  • John
                    Message 9 of 22 , Mar 4, 2011
                      >>> I have thought about the closeness of my grandmother's maiden name and Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<

                      The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the connection you have to make. Surname means very little.
                    • Gina
                      Message 10 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                        Julie,

                        I'm sorry--Drozdak was my grandfather's surname. Metro was his first name
                        (actually, Dimitry) and he came from Bogusza in 1895. I'm not very close to
                        Johnstown--I am in eastern PA. However, many Rusyns in eastern PA were
                        miners and traveled to different parts of PA for work. However, because I
                        have heard the surname 'Metro' in my area, I looked in my Carbon and
                        Schuylkill County phone books and found 3 listed. One is in the town of
                        Lansford and 2 in the town of Lehighton. If you'd like the first names and
                        phone numbers of these Metros, you can write to me personally. Sometimes a
                        phone call is worth it!
                        Good luck,
                        Gina

                        Message 11 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                          Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                          Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                          I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                          Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                          understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                          grandparents came from.

                          I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                          that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                          have famous ancestors!

                          Thank you,
                          Gina

                          Message 12 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                            Gina

                             I saw Polany on the map and it's almost on the Slovakian border.

                             I would think it's possible that there could be a connection to Andy Warhol...

                             The area that is across the border in Slovakia also looks to be in the Presov region. The Presov region records are what's currently online at the LDS site...   so it might be worth checking that.

                             I don't care for Andy Warhol's work but I do recognize him as being one of the great artists of our time.He used an assembly line method to mass produce his work, which is genius in itself.

                             I think it would be great to have him in your tree.

                             Don't give up yet.

                            Larry----- Original Message -----
                            Oh well, that tells me I'm obviously not related in any way to Andy
                            Warhol.....my grandmother Warholaks' family came from Polany, in SE Poland.

                            I don't know if there are any famous Sotaks (Szotak) who came from Zbudska
                            Bela or famous Chaly's or 'Chaly-Benyos' who came from Volica, which I
                            understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal
                            grandparents came from.

                            I think I've been reading too many stories from Ancestry.com and watching
                            that TV show, 'Who Do You Think You Are?' that's making me wonder if I might
                            have famous ancestors!

                            Thank you,
                            Gina

                            > Andy Warhol(a)'s name. <<<
                            >
                            > The ancestral village is Mikova, west of Medzilaborce. That's the
                            > connection you have to make. Surname means very little.

                            --

                            The Animal Rescue Site needs your help in feeding previously abused animals
                            who are now living their lives in a protective sanctuary or are awaiting
                            adoption! Help feed tens of thousands of animals every day with a simple
                            click--AT NO COST TO YOU (no catch)! Visit
                            http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com today-PLEASE!

                            --
                            I see a light at the end of the tunnel....It's a train!  ;-O

                          • Frank R Plichta
                            Message 13 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                              Gina,

                              Every ancestor is famous. After all they caused you to be here today.
                              Frank

                              Message 14 of 22 , Mar 5, 2011
                                >>> Volica, which I understand is not too far south from Medzilaborce?? That's where my maternal grandparents came from. <<<

                                Medzilaborce is the location of the Warhol Museum -- as well as Pit. http://www.andywarhol.sk/
                              • laffingdukk
                                Message 15 of 22 , Mar 6, 2011
                                  I am almost positive i've seen that name in my research...I have a very good visual memory...just can't remember which resource I saw the name in. I am thinking there was an alternate spelling spelling like Gulic or Gulich even Kulic...hope this helps, and I will keep my eyes open should I come across the name again. I am thinking I saw it on a census form or ship manifest near one of my ancestors...the most common name being Bezilla or Bezila.

                                  this is pretty random info but you never know what will provide another lead. good luck
                                  dina