Re: [S-R] Re: Kielbasa Recipe - Meandering topics

  • Lubos Brieda
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 3, 2011
      Hi Debbie, halusky is the name for the "noodles" - spaetzle really. You can top
      them with whatever you like. With brynda, you get bryndzove halusky. With
      cabbage (kapusta) and you get kapustove halusky, etc... You can also use these
      instead of macaroni in paprikash or chicken perkelt. But halusky is not noodles.
      It's potato dough tossed into boiling water. The dough is made by grating
      uncooked potatoes, adding salt, optionally an egg, and enough flour to get
      semi-stiff dough. You then put this mixture onto a board, smaller is better so
      that you can submerge the end in the boiling water. Then using a kitchen knife
      you toss little pieces of this dough into the water and cook for few minutes
      till they float up. Here is a video of my grandma tossing
      halusky: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0U1K_0Zbk. These are pink because they
      have ground liver mixed in them. These kinds of liver halusky are popular for
      chicken soup instead of the noodles. Chicken halusky soup?
      -- Lubos Brieda --

      Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 4, 2011
        all right already! lets get back to what this site is for!