[S-R] Re: Kielbasa Recipe - Meandering topics

  • deeellessbee
    Message 1 of 48 , Mar 3, 2011
      I'm a little late to this discussion, but two things I wanted to mention. Lubos, in my Slovak grandmother's house, halusky was fried cabbage and noodles, fried in about a pound of butter! A Slovak friend and I used to argue about this, because in her grandmother's house, halusky was noodles and cottage cheese (which my Irish/German grandmother made and called needles-and-cheedles, lol, most likely for the benefit of us grandkids). Since I have no knowledge of Slovak, maybe I'm reading your "halusky" incorrectly - is that pronounced ha-loosh-ky? Because that's how my grandmother (and my friend's grandmother) pronounced their dishes.

      Speaking of language...

      Secondly, Elaine, I was just at lunch with a former coworker today, whose mother is Slovak/Rusyn and father is Lemko/Polish, and the family speaks not only those languages but Ukranian to boot! She was just talking today about the sometimes mixed language in her home. She now has a son whose father is Albanian, and the child is learning to speak ALL those languages. I think that's truly amazing and wonderful!

      Debbie
      who sadly only speaks English (and a smattering of high-school French!)

      --- In SLOVAK-ROOTS@yahoogroups.com, Lubos Brieda <lbrieda@...> wrote:

      > Hi Elaine, "kluski" is actually
      > "halusky" http://www.slovakcooking.com/2009/recipes/pasta/halusky/
      >

      > When you top them with bryndza (feta like sheep cheese) and pork cracklings you
      > get Slovaka's national dish.
      > -- Lubos Brieda --
      >
      > Slovak recipes: www.slovakcooking.com

    • June McKee
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 4, 2011
        all right already! lets get back to what this site is for!